What Headphones are you folks using?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Zal, Feb 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Currawong

Currawong Forum Resident

I've gone back to using the HD-800s after I found that, with a bit of material added inside the cups to lower internal reflections, such as off the ring around the driver, their slight aggressiveness and slightly vague imaging could be easily rectified. I'd have to hunt for it, but there is an article about this at Innerfidelity.

2. Since added LCD2(earlier version with foam headband and straight outputs for the cable. I purchased a Violectric V200 amp for these but that has remained in my bedroom system , while the Audeze,which are too big for comfortable bedtime listening, sound pretty good in the man cave via my old Meier Corda Opera amp for now.
    Also picked up a pair of Philips Fidelio X1 on a whim. I am in two minds about them, on some music they work pretty well but other times I find myself giving them a short shift.
    While they work fine with the V200 amp not so good with the Mapletree .
    Can't have too many flavours at hand though.

3. rhubarb9999

rhubarb9999 Forum Resident

580s at home ... Sony V6 at work.

4. Welly Wu

Welly Wu Active Member

Tony Plachy:

I do hear the differences with aftermarket cables. I used to have the Cardas Golden Reference interconnects, power cord, Balanced Power Technology power cord, Cardas Clear USB 2.0 cable, and a BPT power conditioner. They did refine the sound with greater dynamics, clarity, and smoothness.

The Cardas Clear Sennheiser HD-800 cables cost $750.00 USD which is half the cost of the headphones.

After some period of time doing research into the science of audiophile cables, I questioned their utility for me. For the same money, I'd rather get higher end audio components. It's worthless for me to spend that kind of money for audiophile cables now.

For instance, I spent $50.00 USD for the J River Media Center and it improved the sound quality of my entire music library consisting of MP3s. Computer audiophiles pay particular attention to their software media players just as much as traditional audiophiles try to eek out every last drop of sound performance for their systems. My point is that there are other ways to improve sound performance for little money rather than spending it for audiophile cables.

The Sennheiser HD-800 stock cable is excellent. It was purpose built for these headphones and they sound great to me. Why should I mess with something that works for me?

Finally, you're free to spend your money however you wish. In the foreseeable future, I would rather upgrade major audio components that will give me new features and sound performance. Audiophile cables are nice to have, but the costs are too damn high to wring out the last bit of sound performance.

5. Harold R

Harold R Forum Resident

Sony MDR-NC7

6. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

I have used the AKG Q701 for several years. I like the sound and comfort. I usually tweak the bass end up bit and the detail is great as is the stereo image. For my portable player and even at home on my laptop, I have been using the Monster Gratitude (EWF) in-ear phones. The bass on these is great and has a palpable quality, especially for being in-ear though it is important to get a good snug fit with the right tips. Plenty of detail, though a slight lower treble emphasis.

I am wanting to try an alternative to the AKGs ... I want more low end but still want the detail and imaging....any suggestions?

7. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

8. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

I just pulled the trigger on a pair of Sony MDR-Z7 cans. I've heard these things are a little bass heavy, but Amazon had a new pair for $500, when they're usually more like $700.

No Static likes this.
  9. alan967tiger

alan967tiger Forum Resident

Sennheiser HD800s. Just bought a Senn. HDVD 800 amp which is fab:)

Jerod likes this.
  10. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Ha! But he said he wants more low end. :winkgrin:
    For detail and imaging the HD800 are tops. The best.

alan967tiger likes this.
  11. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Noontec Zoro HD's for me. I bought 'em for $99.99 back in July 2013 and they're still my go-to pair. Bass is good, mids are deep n' creamy, and highs are clean without being too sparkly. Anyone else have these headphones?

12. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

13. JohnBal

JohnBal Forum Resident

These days it's the Beyerdynamic T90. Sound great with an OTL tube amp or the Schiit Asgard 2.

14. cgoodwin22

cgoodwin22 Senior Member

Audio Technica ATH-M50's

15. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I use these Beyerdynamics for listening directly to my outboard DAC so I can bypass my amp/preamp for late night listening ...

[​IMG]

I also use my Sennheiser HD600's and AKG K701's for listening to my other two audio systems at my house ...

kevinsinnott likes this.
  16. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson Active Member

Audeze LCD 3's for me.

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  17. AKG Q701, Grado80's woodied, AllesandroMS1's woodied, Senn Px100+100ii

18. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

Shure SRH-940's

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  19. Dance Mxyzptlk

Dance Mxyzptlk Forum Resident

After a long trial and error process of buying new headphones I've ended up back where I started, K240's and V6's.

20. meadow

meadow Active Member

HD-650!

jriems likes this.
  21. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Grado SR325is and Monoprice DJ 8323s

22. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Oh my. Where do I begin?

I'm not usually one to tell someone they're not using good equipment or that their choice is horrible, but I have to speak up here. My older Sony noise-cancelling headphones crapped out one day, and in a sale circular I spotted the MDR-NC7's (and all Sony headphones) for sale at a good percentage off - something like 40 or 50% - at Walgreens. Well, my first clue should have been "headphones at Walgreens?" The NC7's were only about $30 by the time all discounts were in, and I figured they'd at least do for my next airplane trip until something better came along.

I got them home and plugged them in and - oh my - they sounded horrible. There was a lack of bass AND treble, and the midrange was all mushy too. Turning on the noise-cancelling circuitry gave it a bit more bass, but the things still sounded muddy.

So, Harold, my friend, I do hope you find something better for headphones. My favorites are the Sony V6's (or their twin the 7506's). They sound SO much better than the cheapy noise-cancelling NC-7's, and for not much more money.

Harry

23. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Grado GS1000. Audeze LCD-2. Grado GR-10 for ear buds.

24. schnulli

schnulli Forum Resident

I started with the RS60 - have now the 325i and i strongly recommend them. Do not settle for something less. Over here in europe these are expensive. In the U.S. they cost around 400 $. I was not able to hear a difference to the premium Grado models (may be my setup...).
    The resolution and presence of the 325 is breathtaking.

25. Rocat

Rocat Do you realise, this world is totally fugazi.

Hd650 plugged into a stock Little Dot II. Really happy with this setup :).

jriems likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.