What hifi item did you enjoy buying the most?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Good Guy, Sep 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

I love to buy CD players. Every time I listen to a new CD player I'm astonished how brilliant and different it sounds. At the end I realize that they all sound the same, but it's still fun.

Drew769 likes this.
  2. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

36 years ago - 18 years of age - my first "real" stereo. All Sansui gear - TT, receiver, speakers.

Receiver and speakers are long gone - the TT is still spinning vinyl in my 87 year old uncles rig. Pretty well looks like new still!

More recently my re-entry into vinyl and finding a Near Mint 1 owner Denon DP45F DD table - mated with a DL301MKII....very pleased!

3. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

When I bought my Pro-Ject RPM 10.1 turntable pictured below several years ago.

[​IMG]

I had lusted over this deck for some time. It was between it and a Gyrodec. I've moved on from the RPM 10.1, but it was on the bucketlist as something I wanted. I actually wanted the previous model the (RM 10), but the RM 10.1 came out with an updated tonearm, so I got the new model instead.

4. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

This might seem counter intuitive to some, but my "purchase pleasure" when it comes to audio gear is inversely proportional to the price. My most enjoyable recent purchase is an iFi iDSD Nano.

Once the purchase price gets above $1000 or so, the stress level rises, "Should I really be buying this?".

Quark likes this.
  5. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

But eventually you get over it, right? ;)

6. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

None.

Except for the first one.

Ever since then, buying audio gear is done only as a necessity; ie, when something dies outright. Its replacement is always a compromise, always a reminder of how little money I have to throw around. Not much fun in that. I do the homework, I look for deals or refurbs, I get credible gear for the money. But I can't pretend it's fun, when having gobs and gobs of money would make everything better.

However, when that glum march is over with, listening to music on whatever I have is always gratifying. I don't even think of the gear. Until it breaks. Or is obviated. (I will agree with gloomrider above: that iFi Nano was a pleasant surprise at under $200.)

The first one was fun. Like a zillion other Nam vets, I bought a solid system in Hong Kong (or was it Japan?). Pioneer quad receiver, full-range floorstanders, Garrard Zero 100. 50% off. I could easily afford it. Sounded great in my radar shack, and even greater in a rented house later on. All fun. No remorse. Lotsa Japanese-press vinyls.

Maybe I was just less grumpy when I was 20.

7. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

McIntosh C220 preamp. It was the first time I felt like I was experiencing high end audio. (Since replaced by the Mac C2500.)

8. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

My new Croft Micro 25 / Series 7 pre/power combo.

This is because I was allowed to audition the kit at home for two weeks, because it sounded so fabulous, and because I was also allowed to have my preamp customised with a mono switch, a single volume and balance control, a remote control and a buffered output for tape purposes.

The whole buying experience from Deco Audio in Aylesbury was great AND I got to own some great amplification tailored to my own needs, with a killer phono stage and the ability to bring back the joy that I used to experience as a teenager.

Couldn't ask for more, really.

9. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

My new Vandersteen Treos. They were an impulse buy. I figure I'm coming into the winter "listening season," and I may as well enjoy the whole season with new speakers! I thought my 2CE Sigs had superb resolution, until I heard these.

10. deniall

deniall Well-Known Member

Probably when I upgraded my turntable and cart from a Debut Carbon and Ortofon OM20 to a Well Tempered Simplex and Dynavector DV10X5. The difference was amazing!

11. mds

mds Forum Resident

These are all nice stories even the grumpy ones where parting with hard earned cash is difficult. Everyone should know this feeling it brings one back to reality and this hobby sometimes is rooted not in reality when you see the prices of some of the equipment out there.

My most enjoyable purchase was my speakers, which has been the basis of my main system. I bought them approximately 25 years ago and with each component upgrade I loved them more. The reason for this love is these were my first forage into high end audio, my friends company designed and manufactured them. I saw similar ones made that day I visited his factory/office; the enclosures cut, the crossovers soldered and the speaker assembly take place. I then went into the stock room and two boxes were selected and sent to shipping. It was a day that felt like a dream. I believe they are very rare and most likely only a few people, if that, have heard of them, Studio Series EAW/RCF SCD6000 Nearfield Reference Monitors. The tweeter and mid-range drivers share one magnet bringing the acoustic centers of their drivers to less than 2.5 inches of each other, I think this makes them unique, but maybe not. Each speaker weighs 66 lbs, very hefty magnates and solidly constructed enclosures and of course to my ears they sound wonderful.

12. mrwolk

mrwolk One and a half ears...no waiting!

My first component system purchased in 1969 when I was 18 and just started working:
    Philips Amp (used)
    Garrard Turntable (used)
    Dual/Noresco speakers (new)
    AKG headphones ( new)
    Great upgrade from my old valise style portable stereo system.

Fast fwd to today...I'm 63 and retired
    Numark turntable (used)
    JBL studio monitors (used)
    British Quad amp and preamp (used)
    Oppo CD player (new)
    Stax headphones (new)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.