What if George Harrison had recorded his first solo album in 1969?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Robert, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

I mentioned Jimmy Miller might have been a better choice. Tom Dowd is another one.

2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I think that you got confused here. Klaus knew George and the other Beatles since the early Hamburg days. Klaus also did the Revolver cover art, and played with George on other Apple sessions, like the first Jackie Lomax album recorded in 1968-69 and produced by George. So George definitely knew Klaus very well.

3. rocknsoul74

rocknsoul74 Forum Resident

As he joked..."Avant guard a clue"

blutiga likes this.
  4. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

I guess it depends when in 69 we're talking about. Wasn't Klaus an active member of Manfred Mann around this time? If it was late in the year maybe he would have used D&B's band.

5. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Yes indeed.
    Electronic Sounds (you'll never want to hear again) :)

6. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

You're right and I should have remembered that, but in the middle of noting that Radle was not known to George, and making what I thought was the amusing suggestion of using Jack Bruce, and also knowing although I did not say it that Voorman was in the Manfred Mann band and might have had commitments, I forgot.

Funny that's all in my post you thought to respond to, but I guess you get points for making a correction.

7. Arnold Grove

I was pretty much in agreement with the other things that you mentioned in your previous post. so that's why I didn't specifically respond back.
    However, George would most likely have NOT had Spector as a producer if George did an album in 1969---specificially because Spector didn't re-appear in the Beatle world until around the time of "Instant Karma" in February 1970. So George would have either self-produced any 1969 album or he would have found some other producer.

theMess and Hardy Melville like this.
  8. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I've never even heard Electronic Sounds once, doesn't seem like I'm missing much there...

blutiga and musicfan37 like this.
  9. rickboy

rickboy Forum Resident

To Dr. Robert, while we are enjoying this alternate universe many if not most '69 records had 12 cuts. You owe us two more-or George does. I would like to hear an album by George at least partially produced by Delaney Bramlett. He rocked Clapton's solo effort in 1970. Or add a Clapton penned- cut with some Leon Russell thrown in. But we're almost there on Bangladesh. At least what my old brain cells remember.

10. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

A lean and roots rock record inspired by The Band with no wall of sound, produced by Jimmy Miller, Ken Scott or Glyn Johns and released in time for Christmas 1969 - Sign me up!

1. Here Comes the Sun
    2. Let it Down
    3. I Me Mine
    4. Old Brown Shoe
    5. Isn't It a Pity

6. Something
    7. Dera Duhn
    8. Circles
    9. All Things Must Pass
    10. Wah-Wah

George Harrison - Vocals, Guitar, Bass
    Eric Clapton - Guitar
    Billy Preston - Piano, Organ
    Jackie Lomax and Badfinger - Backing Vocals, harmonies
    Ringo Starr - Drums

Morton LaBongo, Tord and Dr. Robert like this.
  11. jeighson1

jeighson1 Forum Resident

If I am not mistaken, "Apple Scruffs" is the one song that George essentially self produced after the rest of the album was pretty much complete and Phil was a little more checked out. Can anyone confirm?

12. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

That would make sense. It does not sound much like one of his productions.

13. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

My vote for a title would have been "After Geography" :)

14. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Since the fab four were on first-name basis with fans, and George may not have known this was the end of the Beatles then calling his debut rock LP simply George could have been good, or The Quiet One if he was feeling cheeky.

15. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

It is an interesting thought, I wonder if Abbey Road would be as highly regarded today if so, or if it would even be as good as it turned out. George had that stockpile of great songs, and the music press and public would have gone bananas for the first "real" solo Beatle album. I agree with others in that it would probably only be a single album, but what an album it could have been. Abbey Road would have to have it's release date changed, as the band wouldn't want it competing with George's album, unless George pulled a McCartney.

This is some straight up Back To The Future stuff we are talking about.;)

blutiga likes this.
  16. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

I've never listened to it either. I think we can all surmise from the written accounts of those that have, we don't need to hear it :D I haven't got a copy of it.

17. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Too bad he didn’t self produce the whole album since that is the best sounding song.

gja586 and Neil Anderson like this.
  18. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

If it meant that not Phil Spector, but rather Glynn Johns produced it then I say YES!!!!

19. ohnothimagen

I've never even seen a copy of Electronic Sound in a store, I don't think. Ditto for a couple of Ringo's 70's stinkers (Bad Boy and Ringo The 4th)...

blutiga likes this.
  20. Arnold Grove

Then you shop at excellent record stores ... ;)

21. ohnothimagen

I'm serious, though. In thirty years of buying Beatles records I've never come across those ones ever, I don't think. I'd probably remember if I did 'cos they'd stand out! No Electronic Sound, Ringo The 4th, Bad Boy...now that I think about it I don't think I've ever come across either of Lennon's Unfinished Music albums or The Wedding Album for that matter. Dunno if the record stores in my neck of the woods are excellent or they simply know what would sell and what wouldn't:laugh:

So it's a good thing I've never had the urge or inclination to hear any of those because it means I'd likely be paying a fortune for those LPs through Discogs or something...

22. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Reconstructor Thread Starter

That's true - but remember "All Things Must Pass" has 18 cuts over four sides, more or less what ended up here! The songs are pretty long, notably "Hear Me Lord" and "Isn't it a Pity?", so they occupy the same place as two shorter tracks.

23. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Well it finally happened. I saw a second hand copy of Electronic Sounds in my favourite vinyl store today. I actually started to take it out of the bin to see if it was an original pressing. Then I stopped myself, smiled and put it safely back in the bin.
    It might have been a UK Zapple first press :D

24. Arnold Grove

At least you touched it ... ;)

25. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Yes I did. :D