What Iron Maiden albums do YOU consider to be part of their classic period?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BluesOvertookMe, Oct 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'd like to see how close to a consensus we can reach here.

There's been a bit of debate on this, but I could find no poll or thread that really answered this particular question.

Feel free to choose any and all of the albums YOU consider to be part of their classic period. I am only considering studio albums, although I expect much talk of Live after Death. I'm talking about new songs, not live performances.

2. Killers through Somewhere In Time (the latter being a bit different, but with songs good enough to get it into their classic group of albums). There have been moments since then, but I don't think ANY of the other albums hold up as great albums. Some good songs from the reunion period, though.

JustVinyl, marke and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  3. To me, Iron Maiden went uphill from their first album up to "Powerslave". The following two studio albums still had them at their peak with a slight decline, but still classics. So to me, the last GREAT Iron Maiden album is "Powerslave" and their last CLASSIC album is "Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son" (although it's good to mention that "Fear Of The Dark" -the song- is an anthem for most metalheads where I live).

4. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

What do you mean by "classic"? Best rated? Most influential? Biggest sellers? Iron Maiden is the biggest metal band on the planet (possibly 2nd to Metallica in some countries) and certainly far more popular than they ever were in the 1980s.. and it's not even close. The Final Frontier went #1 in 28 countries so their classic period is probably best represented by Brave New World to The Final Frontier - many of their new fans haven't even heard the older stuff. If you've seen any of their regular tours in the last ten years the focus is mostly on Brave New World to present. More traditionally, however, the classic period is often seen as Number until Live After Death.

5. BluesOvertookMe

Well, of course because otherwise Janick or Adrian would be standing around doing nothing or talking a beer break.

6. BluesOvertookMe

I think Fear of the Dark had it's moments. I rather liked From Here to Eternity.

motorcitydave likes this.
  7. marke

marke Forum Resident

This is a great topic for me as I only seriously started listening to Iron Maiden this year. I nominate their golden period as being from Killers to Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. In the nineties they didn't achieve the same lofty heights and Bruce left the band. However they bounced back when Bruce rejoined for Brave New World and I really like Dance of Death.

8. cdollaz

cdollaz Forum Resident

Number - Seventh Son

Harry42 likes this.
  9. murga

murga Forum Resident

I have voted 1st - 7th son, but IMHO, they had only a few weak albums (no prayer, fear, virtual), which makes them the greatest HM band ever. Their full discography is much better, on average, than Metallica,Judas Priest or Black Sabbath.

10. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

I'm a huge Maiden fan, and I went S/T through Somewhere in Time. You could probably include 7th Son without an argument from me, but I didn't go that far.

motorcitydave and Simon A like this.
  11. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Only on the first 5 do I like everything on the record.

veloso2 and g.z. like this.
  12. Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

13. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Same here.

veloso2 and g.z. like this.
  14. realgone

realgone Forum Resident

Up to Seventh Son.

15. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

For me it's the first five, and out of that I really only consider the first three to be part of an even truer classic period, if that makes sense. Somewhere in Time was a serious misstep in my opinion, which ended the classic run of albums. But then within that first five, I have always considered Piece of Mind and Powerslave (as good as they are) to be a couple steps down from the first three.

It's interesting to see how right now at the time of writing this post, Somewhere in Time actually has one more vote than Killers! I actually rate Killers as their best album. I wonder if some folks won't include the first two because they don't consider Paul Di'Anno to be part of the "classic period".

Damien DiAngelo and Aggie87 like this.
  16. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

Piece of Mind, Powerslave, Somewhere in Time, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
    The first two were good, but not quite of a classic caliber. The Number of the Beast gets very close, but it is still one ace drummer short of an undisputed classic. Of the post-Seventh Son albums I have only really enjoyed Fear of the Dark and - unlike the great majority of Maiden fans - The X Factor.

17. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Guess that would be the first seven albums...

18. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Yep. Me.

19. Prog_Wizard

Prog_Wizard Forum Resident

Classic period would be up to and including Seventh Son. All those records are untouchable in my opinion. Brilliant stuff. The last two Bruce albums before he left are a lot weaker, but have their moments. While some people really rate the Blaze stuff, it's not classic Maiden in my opinion. The X-Factor is very good though.
    I might be among the minority, but I really rate all the reunion records. Perhaps not up there with the early stuff.....but consistently excellent.
    Finally, I think Live After Death needs to be included on that list. I know it's a live record, but it's essential listening for any Maiden fan.

20. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Killers-7th Son, I have only heard 2 of the 4 albums since reuniting with Bruce, AMOLAD and FF. Life and Death is a near masterpiece, IMO while Frontier has gotten very little play time at all.

21. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

I would say up to to powerslave. Throw in the live albums too just because.

motorcitydave and g.z. like this.
  22. UncleHalsey

UncleHalsey Forum Resident

Number of the Beast to Powerslave. I saw them on the Piece of Mind tour and it was mighty.

Live After Death is one of my fav live albums and I would include it as well. The LAD version of Rime of the Ancient Mariner is definitive, IMO.

Upinsmoke likes this.
  23. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

It's obvious. Seventh Son.

24. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

1st five: Iron Maiden - Powerslave

25. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

First seven studio-albums plus "Live After Death".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.