What is a safe method to remove (part of) a record label

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by David A., May 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David A.

David A. Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a BS&T album that has a label so far off-center that the stylus hits the paper label in the run-out groove area. I Googled, but came across so many stupid suggestions which I am not about to employ. I could photograph the label before removing it completely, then reapply a photo of it centered properly. If I have to, I'd even just leave the record with no label at all, just to avoid the stylus hitting paper.

So, how to remove part of, or all of a record label?

2. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Sorry, it's impossible to remove the label. It is melted into the vinyl when the record is made.

It's not a label that's glued onto the vinyl after it's pressed, which might be able to be removed and repositioned without affecting the underlying vinyl pressing.

The best solution is to find a correctly-pressed copy of the album.

David A., Aftermath and displayname like this.
  3. David A.

Thanks

qwerty likes this.
  4. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

I had that on the new Santana 4 album. You could hear it as the stylus ran off so returned it for another copy.

5. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

I have had this problem and suggest this solution. Use an X-acto knife or other sharp blade to score the round shape of where the label edge should be, so as not to interfere with your stylus. This will now be a thin section that needs to be removed (a very small sliver of the label). It is thin enough that you can scrape it off easily.

If necessary, you may want to remove the leftover glue, from under that removed sliver. Use a good solvent (like De-Solve-It or Goo-Gone), be careful you do not get the solvent in a record groove, and use a few Q-tips to apply the solvent in only the necessary area then wipe off the residue.

6. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

You know, people say labels dont get damaged by water, but in every example Ive seen so far there has been damage done.

Try wetting it and lightly scrub with a brush?

7. David A.

I'll get back here with my comments, after trying cutting edge, wetting, maybe goo gone.

8. David A.

No luck after about a 1/2 hour's work with q-tips, record cleaning solution, goo off, wooden toothpicks. The groove doesn't want to come clean. The label and adhesive is very tenacious. I got the label off of the affected area,but there is still obviously a coating of adhesive. What other solvents won't trash the record (provided I keep the solvent to just the lead-out area? The stylus hits residue in the last groove and bounces backwards.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  9. David A.

I gave up. After more attempts, it appears as there actually is no way to remove the underside of the label from the vinyl--as qwerty mentioned--the label is melted into the vinyl. Of course this issue is on my favorite side of the album (Murphy's Law).

qwerty and Leonthepro like this.
  10. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I have this one, that doesn't permit a problem per say, it's just you gotta race to pick
    the needle up before the end of the last song.....
    [​IMG]

Jasonb, Leonthepro and qwerty like this.
  11. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Wow! You would hope the music doesn't relax you too much so you aren't quick enough to reach the tonearm cue leaver in time!
    Nice label design, btw.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  12. Rick Bartlett

and yep I have, the label has a couple of diamond tip grooves now.....arrrh!!!
    Yes, qwerty! I bet your familiar with the Decca style 78 label eh!

qwerty likes this.
  13. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I dont think labels actually damage your stylus. Not optimal but some albums even have songs hidden on the label.

14. Rick Bartlett

Yep....... this one doesn't hehe....
    I can tell ya that...
    :agree:

15. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

I have one LP where the run off groove is actually open, so the stylus rushes across into the label if it isn't caught in time. I don't know if it actually does the needle any damage if it hits paper, but I don't like it.

16. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

No adhesive. Just paper. Not gonna come off, but I think you’ve figured that out already.

David A. likes this.
  17. David A.

Yeah,regardless of the exact method that labels are attached to records,there is no way for me to get the last lead-out groove pristine. I got nearly all of it looking good, but there are a few spots that refuse to clean up well enough for the stylus to ride in the groove--the tonearm jumps backwards when it hits a bad spot on that groove.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.