What is bearded hipster music?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SITKOL'76, Sep 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

To be honest, I think this guy is where the post-modern ironic "hipsterdom" of the last 15 years finally spun out and crashed. Shame, because Fleet Foxes (his previous band) had some nice songs - which is about all I can say about them.

2. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I asked a young guy who I work with this question and his immediate reply was, "Fleet Foxes." I have no idea as to the validity of his reply.........

3. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

With all those echoey vocals in Fleet Foxes they sound just like Ein Deutsches Requiem

[​IMG]

4. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I thought they were decent tunesmiths, but lacked chops. When you compare them or The Decembrists with, say, Fairport, Steeleye or Pentangle, you immediately hear what is missing. Like you said, lots of strumming.

Max Florian likes this.
  5. overdrivethree

Discovering Fairport, Pentangle and Bert Jansch about 8 years ago - it was a revelation. I wouldn't even begin to put the Decemberists or Mumford & Sons anywhere near the same category or ascribe the same level of importance.

StephenDedalus and Andrew J like this.
  6. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

Spot on assessment. Mumford etc are pop groups and of no interest to the Hipster.

P.S: me and my Hipster buddies are predominantly listening to 'post classical' artists like Nils Frahm and anything on the Erased Tapes label. ;)

overdrivethree likes this.
  7. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

See also: Man Bun

8. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Musically, no, but they've undoubtedly sold more records than Fairport and Pentangle combined. Actually, I love The Decemberists. Their writing is top notch, and their arrangements are excellent. But they don't have a Swarb, Thompson, Thompson or Jansch.

9. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Saw them at the Cambridge Folk festival, I think it was 2009 and meh boring and didn't see many beards in the crowd either.

Now FJM, saw him at Deaf Institute Manchester, in the crowd at least 12 doppelgangers from his beard long hair phase, really funny he comes on stage with short coiffured hair and no beard I was OK.

10. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

And this,.....
    [​IMG]

Max Florian likes this.
  11. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

When I think of bearded hipsters, I think of young people with beards who listen to The Dead, Zappa, and Iron Maiden. Not current pop bands.

troggy and Instant Dharma like this.
  12. See also: Bon Iver

bartels76 likes this.
  13. overdrivethree

He's another one - "I listened to The Band, so I want to go write a record out in the sticks too. Also, you should know I just got dumped."

DHamilton and Max Florian like this.
  14. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

I think of Fleet Foxes and Bon Iver when I hear that term for what it's worth

driverdrummer likes this.
  15. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

I kind of like music that sounds like the Band... I more think of Will Oldham or some Cat Power in that category... Sounding like the Band or sounding like Little Feat is always a good aspiration for young musicians

seed_drill and overdrivethree like this.
  16. overdrivethree

No doubt. I just think that in Bon Iver's case (or other artists at that time), it was the romantic idea of being cozy, homespun and "throwback" like The Band, but that's as far as it got. The actual songwriting and performance lacked depth and conviction.

I *wish* more artists were aware of Little Feat, and if they are, that they're influenced by the eclecticism and how Lowell George had such a singular, unique vision. Ideally, if a band is influenced by Little Feat, it's to be yourself :)

17. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Who knew Dennis Gage was a trendsetter.

[​IMG]

ianuaditis and Damien DiAngelo like this.
  18. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Or Bonnie Prince Billy

19. Jama

Jama Forum Resident

In my experience, the term "hipster" has little to no meaning. I've heard people called hipsters for listening to folky music with acoustic guitars or ukelele, but I've also been called a hipster for listening to more avant-garde music, or even just music that isn't at the top of the charts in general. There isn't much connection between these styles, so it's safe to assume that people just call everyone with a different taste to them a hipster, making the term kinda useless.

StephenDedalus and ssmith3046 like this.
  20. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

Hard to know whether you're losing your edge or whether the younger crowd actually have one to lose.

KDubATX likes this.
  21. Diorama

Diorama Forum Resident

I kinda get what you mean about Radiohead. While I do like them, they are no where near as amazing as the perception of them is.
    Father John Misty persona is so annoying mainly cos you can tell he is just an arrogant douche in reality.

22. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I would think Bearded Hipster Music is jazz, just like Longhair music is classical...

23. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Jazz is a neat goatee, not a neck beard.

Jose Jones and bzfgt like this.
  24. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Another great band name... Tired Trope

;)

25. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I had both as recently as late April. Still not a hipster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.