What is bearded hipster music?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SITKOL'76, Sep 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Seems kinda familliar.

2. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Is that a bearded hipster lead singer cliche? Most singers (hipsters or otherwise) should never be allowed near a floor tom.

Max Florian likes this.
  3. Jack

Jack Senior Member

So you came to your senses?

4. Jose Jones

And that is a good thing...

5. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I do like Indie bands (and FJM was listed)
    I do frequent record stores
    I do own a bicycle
    I do wear thick glasses occasionally (not unlike my current avatar)
    Loads of sarcasm, check on that
    I do listen to Animal Collective, Animal Logic and The Animals
    And I was into those dudes before anyone else.

Uh oh

Instant Dharma likes this.
  6. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

7. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

Well, it was a thing about 10 years ago. Goes hand in hand with the wordless "whoa-oa-oa" choruses.

8. Jose Jones

I'm glad I missed it then :) I don't like those kinds of choruses.

9. Maestro63

Maestro63 Forum Resident

The correct answer is

Vampire weekend

On vinyl of course

bhazen and PlushFieldHarpy like this.
  10. Satchidananda

Satchidananda Forum Resident

Hipster used to mean (early 2000's?) ahead of the curve... as in, a person who likes things that would be perceived by mainstream onlookers as not being in fashion. Then at some point it started meaning the curve. Now it kind of means behind the curve. Once corporations get their finger on the pulse of a trend and find a way to monetize it, its no longer pre-cool (hipster). Urban Outfitters is often called hipster, but it's not because real hipsters wouldn't shop there.

It's a moving target, so it makes for a pretty useless descriptor. Kind of like hippie. Is a hippie someone who likes the Beatles? That's literally millions of people. Someone who follows the Dead? Someone who's anti-war? Pro-psychedelic drug?
    Starting a thread to determine what is hipster is pointless. If you hear someone say "bearded hipster music" you'll just have to ask them to define what they're talking about if the context hasn't already made it clear.

Desolation Row likes this.
  11. scottc1963

scottc1963 Forum Resident

It's anything that I don't like!

12. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Personally, I thought that the Mumfords were a breath of fresh air.

I thought I'd fall out of love with them after they dropped the folk motifs but Wilder Mind is a really solid album. Not particularly Coldplay-like to these ears, just a bunch of well written, well played pop songs. If that's bearded hipster music, then bring it on!

13. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Im not a hippie nor a hipster but I am definitely more hippie.

14. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

Haven't we passed 'peak beard' yet ...?

15. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

I have a beard and thick glasses. The former because I don’t like shaving, and the latter because I need to see things. It’s not a fashion statement so much as laziness and necessity, respectively. Initially, I grew the beard to look older — now that it’s getting some grey streaks, I’d say it’s working. The thick rimmed glasses hurt my nose less than wire frames.

I don’t really seek out “indie” music. But I do like good music. If the two intersect, I can dig it.

Maybe I’m an accidental hipster...

16. florandia

florandia Forum Resident

My wife came home the other night and told me that her boss had seen Mumford and Sons twice in 2 different cities [Tampa and Orlando] over the previous weekend .
    She wanted to know who they were and why I had never mentioned them as it seemed it might be my 'cup of tea'.
    I did find it hard to say why I thought they were not something I would listen to.......derivative , insincere, soporific, designer folk , .....good playing and singing, mmm seems like damning them with faint praise ,which , to be honest is all they deserve .
    In the end I had to say ' They are crap and if I never heard them again would be no loss' .......not quite true as they are inoffensive.............ah , got it , like most bearded hipster music , yes , it is inoffensive

17. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Iron and Wine?

Andrew J likes this.
  18. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

The original real longhaired, hipsters....

[​IMG][​IMG]

Andrew J likes this.
  19. marazico

marazico Too Busy Staying Alive!

A hipster is a rich man in a poor mans shirt

Andrew J likes this.
  20. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Heh. They wished they were rich. Mommy and Daddy have the money.

21. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yeah, about a year ago or so. But this forum is usually years behind everyone else. :)

klockwerk likes this.
  22. mfp

mfp Senior Member

Mumford and Son is the type of music that products use in their TV adverts to project authenticity. But they're the opposite of authentic.
    A bit like when African artists play Europe or the USA, they have to dress in traditional African clothing to look "authentic" to that audience; whereas in real life they wear jeans and snickers just like everyone else in the world.
    A bit like how you see lens flares in cartoons; the effect is supposed to make the cartoon look more real, like there actually is a camera filming the action. But of course in real life there are no lens flares.

Andrew J likes this.
  23. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

What is bearded hipster music? I guess we'll just have to wait and see. The music that vanishes along with bearder hipsters is bearded hipster music. What remains has got bugger all to do with them. Good and worthwhile music will always outlive the fads. Why worry about it?

eric777 likes this.
  24. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

There is no such thing as "bearded hipster music" in my opinion. They call it that just to be insulting the same way people came up with "dad rock". Every few years another group comes along and becomes something to pick on. I remember when making fun of emo kids was trendy and now it's hipsters. We can't be the cool kids unless we have someone to pick on.

I wish people would focus more on what they enjoy and stop finding reasons to attack others for what they like.

25. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

The neatly-trimmed black bearded hipster music is okay. The scraggly red bearded hipster music is the worst.

timind likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.