What is going on with Van Morrison's catalog?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by seg763, Mar 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Van has definitely ventured into the slipstream of bitter total alienation from the recording industry and embraced a big cosmic N-O regarding his back catalog, but I think so far this thread has erred way too much on the side of not granting that the recording industry has certainly done its part to nurture Van’s hatred. He may have gone overboard but sometimes it’s not paranoia if in fact they really have screwed you over.

I’m sure that in his own defense Van Morrison would heartily endorse the immortal words of Hunter S. Thompson: “The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

I’ve got and am in the process of getting (with help from the amazing members of this forum) all the Van I want and need, but the sad thing is the way the situation denies new and younger fans the chance to easily discovering the soul-enriching beauty and inspiration of a musician who’s up there with Dylan and Neil Young and Joni Mitchell and whoever else rocks your personal pantheon.

FritzL, lightbulb and Clarkophile like this.
  2. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

The irony of his awful attitude and behavior is that he will only be known for Moondance and "Brown Eyed Girl" if he denies new fans access to any of his other great works.

Alan2, supermd, ARK and 2 others like this.
  3. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

PBo, formu_la and Soul Music Fan like this.
  4. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

interesting that they indicate digital releases (I would assume/hope lossless) and no mention of physical releases.

5. Soul Music Fan

Soul Music Fan Forum Resident

I've nearly collected them all already but bring on those 'extra tracks' please.

6. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

yes, but the Legacy Editions will be physical for sure i would think.

7. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

8. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

9. 762rob

762rob Forum Resident

I am sitting here listening to one of my Van cassettes while reading this, bought a ton of them cheap to play on my Nakamichi CR7a
    A-N-A-L-O-G!
    I'm not much of a downloader unless I'm desperate...

Alan2 likes this.
  10. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Finally.....

11. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

12. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

13. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I am shocked and thrilled with this news!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

If I can buy Veedon Fleece on Vinyl I can die happy.

15. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Why is Tupelo Honey not included?

16. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

An open question. I suspect it is an oversight in the promotional materials and it actually is included.

Craig likes this.
  17. arto

arto Forum Resident

18. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I have been as critical as anyone on this forum the past couple of years regarding this topic. To say I was both pleased and stunned to read this news yesterday would be a huge understatement!

A coworker was recently asking me about Van (he knew I was a fan), and I did recommend the new Essential set as a good intro for a newbie. Now if he particularly likes the songs from the late 80s, he'll be able to get the parent albums.

19. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

So, no CD albums except some deluxe and compilations?

20. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

"Available digitally "-in what format and where?

21. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

On most, if not all, streaming services; and for download on iTunes, Amazon and Pono that I know of. The format varies depending on the service.

22. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

+1 for nice quiet pressing with good mastering for Veedon Fleece.

Jos79 likes this.
  23. PL519

PL519 Active Member

Somebody may have answered this question down the line. I didn't see it when I looked. I believe it's because Van doesn't own the rights to Tupelo Honey. I believe it belongs to Warner Brothers. Therefore, it was not included in the deal he made with Sony / Legacy. That's my understanding.

DanBNash likes this.
  24. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

I suppose it would be asking way too much for a nicely remastered St. Dominic's Preview on vinyl?

25. PL519

PL519 Active Member

My copy of St. Dominic's Preview, as well as my copies of a few others, Veedon Fleece, Hard Nose The Highway, and Tupelo Honey, have all seen better days. I could use new vinyl copies of all of them! Let's keep our fingers crossed!

Blue Cactus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.