What Is Happening With MoFi?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiomixer, Oct 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles Thread Starter

I hadn't been to their new website recently & decided to check it out again.

There is no mention of new product, (I was looking at SACD releases specifically), and a lot of their back catalog items are dwindling.

Are we seeing, yet, another change in diminishing physical product from an audiophile label?

Any insight regarding this subject would be greatly appreciated!

joshm2286 likes this.
  2. I hope for MOFI fans your fears are not warrented. For me however i find their prices too high. For those who can afford them i hope there is no bad news on the horrizon.

3. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yeah, seems like they’ve been quiet for awhile.

audiomixer likes this.
  4. audiomixer

Many items on their website have been reduced in price.

Wired4Fun and Fishoutofwater like this.
  5. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Yeah but those same titles have been reduced for at least one, maybe two full years over at their owner Music Direct's site too.

joshm2286, vinylontubes and Spaceboy like this.
  6. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Their prices for UK customers is becoming nothing short of ridiculous. Eventually if you keep increasing the cost and it becomes £70-£80 to own one of their records in the UK (I don’t care if it’s a 45rpm double LP) then you’re going to naturally start reducing some of your custom. It’s called greed and if they end up going bust because of that, I have no sympathy.

I do still order the things I want and have been ordering some of the ultra disc one steps, but there comes a time when I have to say ‘count me out of this one as it’s too much’.

If it eventually have to reduce my outgoings on vinyl, audiophile reissues like MFSL or AP releases would be the first thing I would stop buying.

Alan2, pantofis, cporcp and 14 others like this.
  7. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Actually one thing I will add is that I wonder if it’s greed generally by the major record companies....especially Universal Music for example. It’s perhaps costlier for licensing agreements etc to be made between Mofi and these big record companies so perhaps I wouldn’t just blame Mofi on this one.

I just hope they don’t all end up killing a good thing by pushing it too far.

wwright, Ricm, zeram1 and 2 others like this.
  8. spice9

spice9 Senior Member

2018 is almost over and they've released a couple albums is all. First we lost AF, and looks like MOFI's next.

Spaceboy and Evan L like this.
  9. Crawlin From The Wreckage

Crawlin From The Wreckage Custom Titled

I don't think anyone here can answer your question. Have you tried contacting them directly? I have found them to be quite open and accommodating.

10. audiomixer

I will do that. It kinda smells like what happened to AF before they gave up the ship on their physical product.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    richbdd01 likes this.
  11. Rockstar2112

Rockstar2112 Forum Resident

Hopefully the MOFI Dire Straits sacds will be released, I was looking forward to those!!

12. George P

George P Notable Member

Last time I contacted Music Direct they told me that the goal for Miles Smiles SACD is "by the end of the year."

And yeah, they have been releasing a lot less SACD's lately. I think the last two SACDs released were Supertramp - Breakfast In America (May 2018) and Richard Thompson - Rumor and Sigh (June 2018.)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    Spaceboy likes this.
  13. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

I really want that Supertramp BIA vinyl.

14. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

That long ago? Maybe they are phasing SACD's out? I hope not.

15. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Physical media is dying, sad to say.

16. George P

George P Notable Member

I hope not too. Especially since their SACDs as of late have been excellent.

17. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I wouldn't worry. Maybe they're just waiting to put out the Dire Straits stuff first. I'd rather they went to DSD downloads rather than SACD.

18. audiomixer

Not me.

19. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I'd love to see a MOFI SACD release of "City to City." I can't afford a DCC, so the next best thing...

20. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

If they offered downloads they might me more successful.

21. Except for the recent Ry Cooder albums it seems to me that they keep putting out the same titles that the labels reissue over and over

How many versions of Crine of the Century or any Dire Strsights album are necessary ?

Asking for a friend. :tiphat:

22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Your avatar would make a great MFSL sacd.

Deano6 likes this.
  23. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

The One Step series are doing very well. With the resources they have, it appears they have a very slow cadence.

alexpop likes this.
  24. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

You mean you'd like to know why they aren't pumping limited resources into titles that an even narrower segment of the market desires? Sounds like a business plan to me....o_Oo_Oo_O

Rockstar2112, Nostaljack and Mazzy like this.
  25. I get it but some titles seeming get reissued endlessly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.