What Is Happening With MoFi?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiomixer, Oct 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maybe they're preoccupied with their One-Step releases. Every release so far has sold out from pre-orders alone. At $125 a pop and 7,500 copies for the new Marvin Gaye - What's Going On that's $937,500 and you know that'll sell out as well.

bluesky, grx8, mattright and 3 others like this.
  2. George P

George P Notable Member

I was just thinking the same thing!

3. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I'd like to see title's that don't have already great sounding mastering's available. *eh em 'Dire Straits'
    I want to hear a turd polished to gold :agree:

Carter DeVries, Clucking and George P like this.
  4. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

UD1S of Crime Of The Century is necessary.

ti-triodes, kevywevy and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  5. :tiphat: I know it’s a favorite here. Could never stand that album.

brock, Merrick, Davmoco and 3 others like this.
  6. MichaelXX2

MichaelXX2 Dictator perpetuo

It's pretty clear that something is causing MoFi to slow down their overall production. With the profit yields they make with those One-Step discs, I don't imagine SACDs or even vinyl make much sense any longer. Have you seen how long A Salty Dog has been listed on Music Direct? It's been out for two years and it hasn't sold 2,000 copies yet! My copy of Desire is number 932. That can't be good news.

CBackley likes this.
  7. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

I feel like Mofi is trying to appeal to the most extreme niche market audiophile there is with their One-Step vinyl. It’s almost like they feel like they are losing their usually larger low to mid level audiophile market and target the much smaller even more extreme audiophile where money is no object to them and who’ll buy anything. It seems as though that’s where they’re starting to direct their focus more.

8. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

There’s plenty of reasonably license-able titles with no narrower of a market that they can get. Yet, it’s the same albums over and over and over..

abzach and Mazzy like this.
  9. That’s too bad because A Salty Dog is amazing. Best version ever imho. Everyone should jump on that LP.

10. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I'm afraid you are correct and that is the way I see it also.

I jumped over to Music Direct and for me I don't have any of the Dylan Mono titles and 4 or 5 are on sale at $19.99 and the only Miles I do not have, On The Corner, is also $19.99 along with several of the Dylan stereo releases and several other titles by various artists.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  11. $125 is silly for a record. But I have bought collectibles in my area of interest. But this does seems obscene.

12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Same people buy them I would imagine.

Nostaljack and Mazzy like this.
  13. Can you blame them? Not really IMO. They have customer commitments for the entire run of product as opposed to sitting on inventory for years. Where would you put your focus?

14. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

There it is. MOFI is following the money. They know they can sell Nightfly et al forever so they’re going that way. Let ‘em make some money.

Ed

bluesky and alexpop like this.
  15. alexpop

Nothing wrong with $, other n e w titles would be appreciated.

Nostaljack likes this.
  16. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Kind of parallels economic society at large.

17. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

They have to be able to subsidize new stuff so that’s likely what all the “old standbys” will do for them.

Ed

alexpop likes this.
  18. I agree. It's almost obscene and I certainly won't be partaking in the vast majority of the titles they release. But as you said, I have also purchased used product at even higher prices...maybe it isn't obscene after all? I pre-ordered the Marvin Gaye - What's Going On simply because it's been in my Top 5 since the day of its release and usually ranks #1 or #2 on that small list. I already have the outstanding OMR of it, but I love this album so much I don't want to miss out on what could potentially be an even better experience. I'm treating myself.

Merrick, CBackley and Mazzy like this.
  19. alexpop

They put out Dillard & Clark, a silver series cd. Guess those days are gone.

20. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

For what it's worth, I haven't seen a lot of new Analog Productions stuff either other than the Jimi Hendrix and Pink Floyd (which we are still waiting for). The MusicDirect site has a lot of MOFI stuff still and I expect that they will announce more titles soon.

21. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Hopefully things are just slowing down because it is the end of the year.

I really want the Simon & Garfunkel "Parsley Sage Rosemary & Thyme" SACD!

22. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

Well, prices of used product is at the mercy of those willing to pay it, like with auctions. Mofi’s prices aren’t set by market by Mofi itself. Mofi is dictating their own prices. I can’t think of any other company pressing and selling new pressings of albums for $125 each.

23. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

This is all speculation. To my knowledge Music Direct is doing fine. Unless the MoFi hardware products are causing cash flow problems,which I doubt is problem, I don't think there is any thing to worry about.

Dave, DeRosa and The Hud like this.
  24. True! They started this project at $99 and due to the overwhelming success they pushed the envelope to $125. There has been no lessening of preorder commitments even at that price point. And while there will always be detractors or instances of less than expected product satisfaction their strategy has and is working.

25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Try Analogue Productions. The Hendrix ABOL is right there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.