What Is Happening With MoFi?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiomixer, Oct 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Maybe they are currently busy with stabilizing Supervinyl and ud1s. ..

SoundDoctor likes this.
  2. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

I have a friend who works at MoFi. They are doing just fine.

3. George P

George P Notable Member

I think most of us agree that they are doing fine.

The question is, why have they been releasing less and less SACDs? And will this trend continue?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  4. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Seems to me if Music Direct/Mobile Fidelity wants to continue selling expensive audio equipment (turntables, cartridges, amps and pre-amps etc.) they better continue producing audiophile Vinyl & Digital media.

Larry C. McGinnis III likes this.
  5. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

I picked up the Billy Joel Greatest Hits set a few years ago for about $70-$75. To me it was worth it as a triple album box set, beautifully done.
    I was interested in the S&G Bridge Over Troubled Water set, but $100 was just too steep for me for one album (even though it was 45RPM). Mind you, it'll go up in value, but I think for some like me there's a threshold of cost to content that I don't cross.

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  6. Crawlin From The Wreckage

Crawlin From The Wreckage Custom Titled

So, what did the boys at MoFi have to say to your questions?

7. Stupid money. There is no need to spend that kind of money on an album. Drives me mad

audiomixer likes this.
  8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Agreed, why not a Original Master Recording LP to go with the MOFI SACD, and do both.

9. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Mobile Fidelity also released a single LP 33 1/3 version priced at $35.00.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  10. I love that album, but there is really no need to spend a fortune on it. The original cds sound amazing and the LPs are superb. I play the album on a regular basis, its fantastic and i will never bother wasting my money on a MF version. There is simply no need. IMO

11. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

We have several Chicken Littles here. At least one in this thread has them closing up shop too.

SoporJoe likes this.
  12. If you heard the 2LP 45RPM of this you wouldn't be so quick to judge. I have an original, the WB/Rhino pressed at RTI and both the 33RPM & 45RPM Mofis and compared them.....the 45RPM is clearly a superior product.

13. 200 Balloons

200 Balloons Forum Resident

On the contrary, it just means I don't buy many audiophile releases. I'd love it if those labels would broaden their horizons, but I have no idea how much sense it would make in the marketplace. I would like to think it makes business sense at some point to start cultivating younger customers by putting out more stuff that appeals to Gen X and older Millennials.

PanaPlasma and Fishoutofwater like this.
  14. I guess i am simply happy with what i have. I dont need to spend any more on this fab album. I will keep my money for stuff i dont already have. I mainly listen to it on cd which i think is one of the best sounding cds ever made.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  15. I understand completely and I generally follow the same rule, but with some exceptions for albums I truly love.

16. Lots of people pay big bucks and enjoy nice gear but don’t go for the high priced so called audiophile editions.

I buy some of the Mofi releases, but not that many, and rarely see the cost ratio improvement. Of course there are some titles folks rave about (myself included ), but in most cases, original copies (at least on the vinyl side) are as good.

davers and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  17. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

They make very few albums I want, but those that I do want are too expensive to buy in Europe or via US mail order. I wish they pressed copies over here for direct distribution in Europe and the UK.

Blank Frank and Fishoutofwater like this.
  18. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

That was ages ago, though.

There does seem to be lots of idle speculation about the end of MOFI on this board. None of it based on anything other than the length of time between their releases.

chacha likes this.
  19. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

But when they do improve over the original they knock it out of the park. Beck Sea Change, Pixies Doolittle, the Dylans, the Cars, JA, just to name a few.

SoundDoctor and John D. like this.
  20. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

. . . but it's part of the cost.

Twinsfan007, Tullman and Spaceboy like this.
  21. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Nope.

The price is $100.

The actual cost is $120.

RolandG, Twinsfan007, Tullman and 2 others like this.
  22. Yes perfect examples. But that’s just a handful of albums.

Then there are those folks with very expensive gear and only 150 albums. Seems the gear is more important than the music in some of those cases.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The market for high end physical digital releases is pretty much dying. A few years ago you would could sell a couple thousand copies out of the box, and then sell off the rest slowly but surely over the next year or two. Today, whatever you sell out of the box is pretty much it, and that's probably closer to around 500 copies on many titles.

Vinyl, in contrast, continues to do well.

Now, if you have no inventory, and no investment in CD/DVD/SACD/BluRay infrastructure, this is fine. You just pivot to vinyl and the world moves on.

If you are MFSL, you have a pretty substantial warehouse full of older digital titles, and they're not moving.

So when you have identified the latest, greatest new shiny thing--One Step--and you see how you can make a few hundred thou a pop that way, vs the scary teetering stacks of digital discs in the warehouse...well, the story writes itself.

OptimisticGoat and Jellis77 like this.
  24. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

What is one step?

25. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

I would have to think they are doing pretty well actually. Maybe trying to bring the electronics and new super vinyl formula to market. They must have made lots of money on sol out One Steps...

For the record, 2017 saw 16 SACD releases, while 2018 has only these so far:
    UDSACD 2161 Ry Cooder Chicken Skin Music Mar-18
    UDSACD 2180 Bob Dylan Another Side of Bob Dylan {mono} Apr-18
    UDSACD 2189 Supertramp Breakfast in America May-18
    UDSACD 2194 Richard Thompson Rumor and Sigh Jun-18

On the vinyl front, 2017 saw 14 titles, while 2018 has these so far:
    MFSL 458-2 (45) Bob Dylan Bob Dylan {mono} 6/28/2018
    MFSL 459-2 (45) Bob Dylan The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan {mono} 1/23/2018
    MFSL 461-2 (45) Bob Dylan Another Side of Bob Dylan {mono} 6/27/2018
    MFSL 465 Ry Cooder Chicken Skin Music 5/14/2018
    UD1S 004-2 Simon & Garfunkel Bridge over Troubled Water 8/10/2018
    and probably the Marvin Gaye UD1S...

Thread Status: