What is said at the very end of "The Wall" album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by street legal, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. street legal

street legal Senior Member Thread Starter

I just sat down & listened to Pink Floyd's "The Wall" from beginning to end, which I haven't done in a looong time. Great album, but I'm just a little too burned out on a lot of the material. Still, it was great to sit & listen at home to the whole album, uninterrupted. I was listening to the "forum approved" C2K 36183 Columbia disc, which really does sound astounding, all around. It sounds like a Steve Hoffman mastering job, just utterly perfect.

Anyway, to get back on track, I'm trying to figure out what the voice is saying at the VERY end of the last track, "Outside The Wall". It sounds like 3 syllables, & is uttered at the 1:42 mark. It occurs immediately after the music stops. I literally just rewound & relistened to that little snippet about 20 times, & I can't for the life of me figure out what is being said. The funny thing is, I never even noticed it before, & now it is driving me absolutely insane!!!

2. floyd

floyd Senior Member

this is where

3. floyd

floyd Senior Member

Now go and listen to the first few seconds of side one before the music starts.

4. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

"Isn't this where..."

"...where we came in?"

5. street legal

Ok, just did that. It sounds like "We came in ..."

Yes? No?

What does it all mean?!?!? :D

6. floyd

floyd Senior Member

right.
    so when you put it together it says. "This is where... we came in" or "Isn't this where... we came in"

what dose it mean? I guess it is implying a cirularity to the story

7. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

When you go through the album, you're experiencing Pink's building of the wall and having to tear it down. We then have the moral of the story. It could end there, but by having the little message at the end of the album and the beginning, it suggests that it will happen all over again. In other words, it's "the vicious circle", and throughout life one may have to keep on building walls and tearing them down over and over for whatever reason. It never ends, more or less, until you die.

8. street legal

Huh. Pretty cool, ......... & oblique as all hell!!!

Thanks Floyd. I guess I know who to ask for answers to the most trying Pink Floyd trivia questions from now on! :thumbsup:

9. street legal

That's an interesting way of looking at it as well, I suppose.

10. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

The piece of music at the end of the record is the same as the piece of must at the beginning of the album.

so...

"Is this where we came in?"

11. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

In the UK, in general, cinema showings were of the same film.. over and over again. Once you paid, you could sit there and watch as long as you like.

Often, you'd arrive when the film was already running. It was considered good etiquette to leave once you recognized you'd already seen that bit.

Hence 'Isn't this where we came in?'. It took me a number of listens before it sunk in that the album was actually circular just like a movie in a theatre...

12. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Did Floyd do this on other albums, too? I seem to remember reading that on the forum, but I'll be damned if I can ever find it via the search engine...

13. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Not exactly.... at least, not with a circular, connecting "loop" of music like at the end of The Wall. They did, however, bookend a few albums with related pieces of music or sound FX....

- Dark Side of the Moon opens and closes with the sound of a heartbeat.

- Wish You Were Here begins with Parts 1-5 of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" and ends with Parts 6-9.

- Animals begins with "Pigs on the Wing, Part 1" and ends with Part 2.

:)

14. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Which forum?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :laugh:

15. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident

actually it's 'isn't this where'

16. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

isn't this where...

17. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Does anyone else love this album but hate the stupid movie? I saw the movie long after I had been listening to the album, and wished I had not seen it actually.

18. Ben C.

Ben C. Forum Resident

Well, that's pretty much what Roger himself has said that it meant. So it's not just an 'interesting way of looking at it' - it's the actual intent.

19. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident

love em both

20. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

I am very glad I have never seen the movie. Saw stills and a few clips of it on TV and it looked horrible.

21. Koptapad

Koptapad Forum Resident

True.

22. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

technically it ends withe See Emily Play

couldn't let that one slip by!

23. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I hear that's how Roger Ebert reviews movies.

d3adf1sh likes this.
  24. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Did I miss something...?? :confused:

25. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Saw the movie first run in a theater, and our group found it one of the most intense things we'd ever been to. Nobody talking much afterwards.

But...seen again on TV or video, not so much impact. Kinda like Apocalypse Now, just doesn't translate to a small screen.

Also tried to set up a 5.1 demo from the DVD-and almost no rear channel output! That is NOT how it was in the theater, so maybe that's one problem.

BTW, the soundtrack is an interesting alternative to the original album, as it's not quite the same. Especially through headphone you hear a lot of far off effects.

And as for the album, a roommate spliced the end to the start, and it was actually perfectly circular, as though they had literally cut the tape.

d3adf1sh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.