What is that around Lennon's neck, 1968?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nashreed, Oct 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nashreed

nashreed New Member Thread Starter

I have a trivia question that's been bugging me- Does anyone know what exactly that John Lennon is wearing around his neck in virtually all the pictures of him from 1968, including the "Two Virgins" cover? It looks like some kind of googly-eyed snake toy or something. He has it on in pictures from India through to late '68. What the heck is the signifigence?? Thanks!
    James

2. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

If I remember correctly it's some sort of dream catcher necklace. I think Noel Gallagher bought it a few years ago and broke it trying to put it on.

3. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I've wondered the same thing myself - he's also wearing it at the Sgt. Pepper press release in 1967. I'm looking at the picture now...

4. crimsoncing

crimsoncing New Member

I was under the impression he kept some of his stash in there. Not a big space but not a lot of pot...or even "H" as they used to say. There was even a small story on it in the late 60's in Rolling Stone. I remember seening them in head stores all over back then!

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Vial of Yoko's blood... Ahead of his time.

6. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

OK, who's joking and who isn't? :confused:

7. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Christie's auction house described the item as the following: "The shield-shaped center is studded with metal eyelets and further embellished with three green and ivory coloured resin flower heads and four blue glass hoop beads on either side, fastening with a mother-of-pearl and yellow metal button clasp".

The collar was given to Magic Alex Mardas by John in 1969 and he just sold it on May 5th at Christies for $214,000.00. Noel Gallagher didn't buy it.

8. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

BTW, John was first seen wearing the collar at the Sgt. Pepper launch party at Brian Epstein's house in May '67. He wore it to India, during the Two Virgin's album cover "shoot" in July '68 at Ringo's flat in Montague Square and thru the White Album sessions. I believe he was last seen wearing it in November of '68. He once referred to it as his Talisman, but I don't know how much significance he placed upon it.

9. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

I could have sworn I read a story of how Liam bought it for Noel or the other way around as a gift in "Q" a few years ago. Guess I was wrong. Whatever the case is I love that collar.

10. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

You probably did. Any connection between Oasis and the Beatles, whether true or not, seems to be a favorite pass time for the press (especially the British). I wish they'd give Noel & Liam a bit of credit, if you're going to base your sound on another band, who better than the Beatles?

11. nashreed

nashreed New Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Dave! I knew one of the resident Beatle nuts would have the answer!
    James

12. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

Ha! ROTFL! :laugh:

Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.