What is the best CD version of the Wall by Pink Floyd

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thehole, Jul 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Freeman

James Freeman Well-Known Member

@Mbe
    So you remixed track-by-track to resemble the 1st Harvest peaks?

Mbe likes this.
  2. notgoblin

notgoblin Habitual Linestepper - not dancer

Oh By The Way box set has the nicest version I've heard.

ricks and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  3. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

Compare and compile
    I was attempting to compare cd with some vinyl copies of The Wall however this was a totally fruitless exercise due to the much higher volume levels of the cd’s.
    Then reading and appreciating the comments about how getting the balance right between track levels is an essential element of the first edition cd’s
    as well as the EQ meant that just simply lowering the cd’s overall levels just wouldn’t cut it for comparisons (Yes I know you all knew that). :)

Volume Levels only compared
    Using the first edition levels as a template worked very well against an early Canadian Vinyl import although from 'Mother'
    onwards would require a little more on a track by track basis, but sounding very good overall (very positive).

Then for an early U.K vinyl, and that is where it all breaks down with notably higher volume allied with much more punch and clarity = Option to try again with a needle-drop template this time,
    or just enjoy the music and accept the variations between formats being sometimes favourable to one or the other.

This day I realise sometimes hate doing comparisons.

James Freeman likes this.
  4. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

Not sure I understand exactly your process, so sorry if you know this already, but leveling tracks based on their peak level is not far comparison: shelved peaks and different EQ change the waveform therefore the apparent peak. The only fair comparison is to level match loudness of the tracks, using either a loudness meter or your ear (switching between each other, you don't perceive one of the two as louder or quieter). Otherwise, a track that is just accidentally higher in loudness than another would (could) sound "better" even if it's not.

Again, ignore me if know that already :)

5. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

Hi The_Windmill,
    The level reduced cd was just used as an A/B comparison against vinyl, listening to overall volume levels, that is to say if tracks 1 – 3 / 5 - 9 are identical
    but track 4 on cd has less / more volume (relative) then it could be adjusted to return to a perception or an interpretation of what was original.

Once this is known and measured across the whole of the album it can then be translated to CD at higher volume with less headroom as you questioned.

The question was raised and I wanted to check if the flow of the original album had been altered over the years since it’s release.
    I may have been totally misguided by myself as to what could be achieved here but that is / was the goal.

The_Windmill likes this.
  6. pinkchris1967

pinkchris1967 Exalted and Revered Member

What are brown frequencies?

7. Jelloza

Jelloza My hard drive is full of vinyl

I just started listening to the MFSL version, and my plan was to see if it sounded ok or not, and now I'm just sitting here, comfortably numb, listening to it from beginning to end. A lot of bass, yes, but soooo analogue-sounding and smooth. This is why I listen to music, not to tear it apart or analyze the particulars, but to sit back and enjoy. If a disc accomplishes that, then I'm sold.

Prophetzong likes this.
  8. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

I think my silver-face UK Harvest cd sounds amazing!

9. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

What he said.

10. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Hamhead likes this.
  11. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

I do like that one (particularly 'One Of My Tunes'!!), but the '94 remaster is also very decent. But the silver face just edges it for me.

12. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  13. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

A very minor form of patriotism in 1987 meant I was not going to concede to purchase an imported CD of The Wall, it had to be Made in the UK.

The Wall CDS / CDP Made in the U.K (no barcode) Silver Face
    EAC;
    100 / 78.1 / 100 / 100 / 94.1 / 100 / 47.7 / 98.8 / 55.5 / 100 / 100 / 100 / 24
    DR;
    12 / 14 / 13 / 15 / 15 / 18 / 11 / 15 / 13 / 14 / 16 / 14 / 8

EAC;
    62.7 / 53.9 / 34.4 / 30.1 / 98.2 / 66 / 50.9 / 65.6 / 79.5 / 62.8 / 69.2 / 51.5 / 10.2
    DR;
    14 / 14 / 12 / 11 / 12 / 13 / 13 / 15 / 15 / 13 / 3 / 13 / 12

The Wall CDS / CDP Made in Japan (no barcode) Black Face
    EAC;
    53 / 39 / 53.5 / 57.2 / 47 / 60.9 / 23.8 / 49.4 / 27.7 / 55.9 / 58.2 / 57.6 / 12
    DR
    12 / 14 / 13 / 16 / 15 / 18 / 11 / 15 / 13 / 14 / 16 / 14 / 9

EAC;
    42.4 / 36.5 / 23.2 / 20.3 / 66.4 / 44.6 / 35.2 / 45.4 / 55 / 43.5 / 47.9 / 35.6 / 7
    DR;
    14 / 14 / 12 / 11 / 12 / 13 / 13 / 15 / 15 / 13 / 3 / 13 / 12

Would it be correct to assume the West German equivalent CD1 track waveforms at 97.7% display flat tops?

14. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Not exactly. The two you have, and the WG Harvest are all the "same" mastering, just level shifted. No flat tops.

If you're picky, the 97.7 WG Harvest is the "best", because it uses the maximum dynamic range of CD, without the danger of interpeak distortion on playback (100's can do that).

The_Windmill likes this.
  15. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I have the Japan black-face Harvest and love it. Not in the car though--can't get it loud enough! :angel:

WhatTheFlac likes this.
  16. rjp

rjp Senior Member

MFSL

Prophetzong likes this.
  17. Audiophilehi

Audiophilehi Forum Resident

How do you make sure your player/software is properly de-emphasizing?

Thanks!

18. Millstone50

Millstone50 Forum Resident

19. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

I still enjoy ALL albums on the DISCOVERY box set :)

Wugged likes this.
  20. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

Any CD player will do it. Well, there is the odd one that doesn't. As I recall, the Oppo BDP-83 is one of them.

As for PC playback, I recommend you find an old program called WaveEmph. It will convert/de-emphasize your wave files with pre-emphasis.

MFSL (CD) is the bottom of the pack. (Just thought I'd throw that in to stir the pot...but that's my honest opinion). Japan CBS is the only one that sounds close to the vinyl.

Dave likes this.
  21. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I like that one, too...though it seems a bit boomy at times. Or maybe it's just me. The 1990's Doug Sax mastered cd works well, too.

22. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I wish I could snag a legit (not counterfeit) copy. I had a chance to get one but passed on it. Silly me.

23. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

there are Foobar plugins that do it too.

Dave likes this.
  24. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

I bought one for 80 Euro - an original one. Check Discogs and eBay from time to time.

25. HankM

HankM Senior Member

I use to have the mo-fi cd but sold it when I was young & dumb. I now only have the Immersion box set and do enjoy it a lot. Think it sounds great

andrewskyDE and Wugged like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.