What is the best new CD player you can buy today for under $1,000.00?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. russk

russk Forum Resident

Cambridge Audio 752bd is now 800 dollars. That is such a good deal that it almost makes me want to go back to physical media. Thing sounds great.

Humbuster and scobb like this.
  2. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Your reply was very interesting, which just shows either Sony techs don't know what is going on or intentionally deceive people that call in about HATS. Honestly, it took several calls to get to someone who was even aware of the HATS compatibility thing and as I have mentioned before in some of these posts, one person even said the sound "without" HATS in a non-compatible receiver would be harsh and over time, risk damage to the tweeters in loudspeakers, additionally they claimed jitter was out of control without HATS being switched on, on the receiver. Here is a quick post I found on the HATS technology, for what it's worth.

http://www.hifinews.co.uk/news/article/sony-scd-xa5400es-pound;1200/9163

3. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

Some turntables had phono stages built in. However as HiFi quickly evolved the industry found they could lower the price of the turntable and sell more without phono stages, create a separate item market for cartridges and electronics by making as many separate components as possible. . Also it seemed to the industry that the phono circuits belonged in the preamp section with all the other wiring. Early on the TT was seen primarily as a mechanical device not an electrical one. As the industry grew it was catering to buyers who wanted to assemble their systems to their own criteria.

4. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

From Sony: Marketing hyperbole.
    From HFN: Old news.
    Note that I didn't say that HATS/PQLS/ARC was not a great idea but (1) HDMI technology has improved and (2) the market rejected HAT/PQLS/ARC while adopting the 5400 as a success.

farmingdad, scobb and Kkfan like this.
  5. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

The 851C is more cash but man it is sweet sounding.
    After all this thread was started in 2013, we need to adjust for inflation.

Humbuster and russk like this.
  6. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Maybe he meant that in one day it all turns into black mush?

7. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

So any new Receiver or DAC with HDMI in will not have any jitter issues using the HDMI cable? What year did this happen and how come there aren't more DACs offering HDMI in as, with the jitter eliminated, it would be a better connection to use rather than an optical of coaxial cable?

8. tomd

tomd Senior Member

9. Oggy

Oggy Forum Resident

Because audiophiles are mugs?!! And two boxes must be better than one, right?

Older technology well implemented will always outperform the latest and greatest badly implemented, but won't sell as many magazines.

Only kidding, the market drives prices.

Oggy.

10. Awesome looking player. With so many reported quality control issues associated with tray loading players & thinking long term maintenacne the only way to design a quality sub $1k cdp is with a top loading assembly which coincidently looks fantastic & with a decent chassis should make for a more stable spin.

11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Linger63 likes this.
  12. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

No way one can say that there will be no jitter issues at all but, imho, it is not significant with the latest v2.0.

Cost of licensing and bad press have been the major impediments.

scobb likes this.
  13. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Another vote for the Cambridge Audio players.

My CXC is just transport, however it performs and sounds fantastic. So good, in fact, I have postponed the purchase of a $4K transport and may use some of the funds to add a streamer.

14. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

I would vote against any Cambridge player. Analythic and unmusical.
    Just threw my 840C away. :D

Idler likes this.
  15. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

I heard a Tascam CD200(? I'm useless at recalling model #s) recently at an acquaintance's gaff that sounded rather fine. $200, apparently; and this for a "professional" design (whatever that means; rackmountable, maybe?)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  16. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Thanks, I wish this sort of information was more readily available and discussed with comparisons to USB, Optical and Coaxial cables!

17. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

If you can import, try this WONDERFUL French brand

BC Acoustique

I was so impressed. It blew out of the water my Yamaha CD Player. I'm REALLY pleased with it.
    (I currently own the 602.1 version without the USB. But I think the new one must sound the same as the unit I have)

:wave:

http://www.bc-acoustique.com/en/

18. Louis Kirsch

Louis Kirsch Forum Resident

Oppo 105. I would put it up against any player under $2500.00 Maybe even 5K

Linger63 likes this.
  19. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Are you speaking from experience?

20. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Hi Metralla,

Well FWIW........ and in my room with my system.........my friends and I consistently preferred the SQ of an OPPO 105 against several other players.

Listening was done over a few weeks with varied music and around 4-5 listeners.

The other players were............

Meridian 507................$3.5K
    Audio Aero Prima.........$3K
    Gryphon Tabu CDP-1....$15K
    Meridian 588................$6K

Cheers

21. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I have the Special Edition CD-63 and for the life of me I just cannot warm up to the sound.It was ok on a 70s receiver but once I moved up a bit I didn't like the way it sounded.

22. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

You could always just use the USB inputs!! :p

23. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Out of some of the nice players listed, minus Oppo, can anyone suggest one verified to add the pre-emphasis curve tagged in the TOC and SUB Q?

24. Louis Kirsch

Louis Kirsch Forum Resident

A/B the Oppo 105D against the Wadia 571 and McIntosh MVP-891 at a dealer in Raleigh with my SACD collection and could not find any discernible sonic improvement with my collection that would lead me to spend upwards of 5k for a player. I have since had my Oppo modded by Modwright and it's an even more detailed player with the added warmth of a XLR tube stage.

I might add for about 900.00 you can get the Cambridge which I also demoed and liked a lot but chose the Oppo for it's playback versatility.

25. Idler

Idler Active Member

Used to have a Cambridge DAC - most unmusical thing I have ever heard. Sent me to sleep every time I listened to it as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.