What is the best way to get dust off cartridge cantilever?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by James Glennon, Feb 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member Thread Starter

I keep my stylus really clean (Dynavector 17D3) and I am really careful about how I clean it.

Just today I was checking it out with a magnifying glass if it needed cleaning and I noticed a good bit of dust on the base of the cartridge and the cantilever.

Anybody got any tips on how to get the dust off a cantilever?

JG

2. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

gently with a stylus brush should do it

3. Don't use those short-bristled stylus brushes on the cantilever though. Use a soft brush as the cantilever is way too delicate.

4. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

Personally I wouldn't worry about it. That is the way people get a broken cantilever by fussing with it. Just use some compressed air and a brush lightly on the stylus. A bit of whatever on the cantilever is not going to effect the sound. And if you screw up a 17D3 your going to cry some ($$$) and then leave the replacement alone. I've never understood the infatuation of obsessive cleaning of the stylus by people. I'm lucking if I do it once every two weeks or so. I'd also avoid any fluid based cleaning of it.

The FRiNgE and James Glennon like this.
  5. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

My Ortofon cartridge came with a long-bristled brush, and they recommend using it longways, which I find does a good job of getting the cantilever as well as the stylus tip. I use a short-bristled brush for just the stylus tip after I use a Magic Eraser. But I use the Ortofon brush between sides. I haven't used a magnifier to see how effective my method is.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  6. James Glennon

Kristofa likes this.
  7. James Glennon

I hear you about cleaning the stylus, I generally clean every second weeks or so as well. I absolutely love the sound of this cartridge and I don't aim to spend that amount again in the near future.

I must try compressed air, spraying from the back of the cartridge of course, otherwise the dust will end up IN the cartridge.

JG

The FRiNgE likes this.
  8. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

Have you checked out the cantiduster? Best $375 you'll ever spend!

(Joking. All the worthwhile advice has been given. Except possibly blowing instead of using compressed air, which is a pretty stout blast.)

9. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

I use a 1" horsehair paint brush with lots of TLC. Paint optional.

Kristofa likes this.
  10. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

RCM
    remove dust at source

11. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

I've used a can of compressed air before. With the straw in the nozzle. Like the ones to clean computer keyboards often found at placed like Office Depot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.