What is the best way to reduce turntable rumble on vinyl rips

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by cdgoldmine, Jul 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdgoldmine

cdgoldmine Active Member Thread Starter

Does anyone who does vinyl rips have a solid method to reduce turntable rumble, or hum, or whatever you want to call it? When I search on the internet for this I get a lot of garbage, so I was hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Is there a method on Audacity, Cool Edit Pro, or any other software? Do pre-amps do this? I have a turntable going through a receiver. I've been doing vinyl rips for many, many years. But I still haven't figured this one out. Thanks.

2. Optimize

Optimize Forum Resident

3. Rumble?
    What's causing it?
    Does the bearing need lubricating?
    Hum?
    What's causing it?
    Is there an issue with the receiver?
    Is there a cabling issue between the TT and the receiver?

Lots of questions, and I haven't mentioned software until just now.

timind and Optimize like this.
  4. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

I've tried using iZotope, which is fantastic for many things but rumble's a real problem, if it's throughout the track as you find it hard not to take out low frequencies in the music.

5. Optimize

Optimize Forum Resident

Yes I also thought in those lines.
    A interesting question is how many hours between cleaning out old oil and replacing with new one. Maybe the thread starter has not done it in a while?

Rumble is subsonic and there are RIAA with subsonic filters.

The FRiNgE and russk like this.
  6. russk

russk Forum Resident

A rumble filter.

KT88, Cliff and Optimize like this.
  7. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

The problem is music is in that range, you will notice the track has been neutered.

8. Optimize

Optimize Forum Resident

Not a much of a problem when the TT makes the noise that is not a part of the recording. But yes if there is recording information in that sub sonic area then it will be lost.

So the issue can be a mismatch between cartridge and tone arm.

9. My thoughts are that using software to fix things is putting a sticking plaster over the problem.
    It makes more sense to me to find the source of the problem and fix that.
    Fix the problems upstream and the need to fix things using software goes away.

Which leads to more questions.
    Which TT is the OP using?
    What is the OP using to record the output from the receiver?

elvisizer and Mad shadows like this.
  10. BrilliantBob

BrilliantBob Select, process, CTRL+c, CTRL+z, ALT+v

Apply Butterworth high pass order 3 at 20 Hz (-18dB/octave) with Adobe Audition 3.0 or better, a high pass order 3 at 20 Hz with the Oxford EQ.

All these combined with the Spectral De-noise function of iZotope RX 6 Editor or latest. Learn first the pattern of the DE-CLICKED outer grooves (between when the stylus touch the record and the music start).

Look here, all rumble removed.

Dropbox - 02.04.01.CLEANED.2..wav - Simplify your life

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    KT88 and Pastafarian like this.
  11. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

The same guy who wrote the ClickRepair software has a piece of code called DeRumble that is very good. Even though I get very little rumble with my setup, I filter everything out below 20 Hz with no audible effect.

12. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

You need to remove it at source.

KT88, vinnn and Dennis Metz like this.
  13. cdgoldmine

None of the above. It's the noise of the tonearm/needle/platter/whatever riding the record. It comes from every turntable and you don't notice in general until you do vinyl rips with headphones and you normalize the file and it's there. It's a brand new turntable, and I've tested 3 different ones, and I had my old one for about 20 years or so. It's just part of the vinyl transfer. It's on every vinyl rip you've ever heard. I just thought someone would have figured this out by now.

14. At last, a response.
    So you're talking about tracing noise.
    With your comments about rumble and hum it wasn't so clear.

If you can fix tracing noise with software you're a better man than me.

crispi likes this.
  15. cdgoldmine

I posted the message at 3:30am and tried to go to bed, which didn't work until 5am.

16. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

The Phase Linear Model 1000 (original, or Series Two - which I use in my vinyl signal path) can provide up to 20 dB of rumble reduction at 20 Hz.

See my May 2, 2019 post via the "Home Theatre" thread link below.

Jeff

17. cdgoldmine

Thanks. I'll check it out.

18. cdgoldmine

Okay, I'll check that out. I just started using ClickRepair it so far I like it. I use it at original settings, so declick is at 50 and I don't notice an ill effects. I've read threads where folks drop it to between 10-15, but that did nothing to reduce clicks for me.

19. cdgoldmine

20. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

A new turntable :cheers:

MikeP5877, Robert C, vinnn and 2 others like this.
  21. cdgoldmine

Useless comments aren't welcome, but noted and pointed out. Why waste your time, mine, and everyone else who are making helpful comments? For people who do vinyl rips, which I have been doing for years, this is a common problem, and probably the most annoying. Post some of your vinyl rips that have absolutely no turntable noise, let us hear them. then let us know how you achieve such perfection with your vinyl rips. Otherwise, go find a playground.

22. vinnn

vinnn Forum Resident

Not really "useless" though, there's no doubt plenty of members here that have turntables that do not rumble or hum.
    My current 'table doesn't impart any noise other than what's in the groove, even through unforgivingly detailed headphones but I have had tables that do to some degree.

I had a Pro-ject that whilst fairly quiet, would usually impart a little bit of background motor hum in the deadwax when listening through headphones. So yeah, its really down to what gear you're using.
    You can try to remove hum in post but ultimately you'll affect the music, the purest way is to address the issue at the source.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    crispi likes this.
  23. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

First off, you should try eliminating the problem at its roots, and it could indeed be the turntable itself and/or your lineage.

I don’t get any hum or rumble from my table.

However, if what you actually mean is just natural groove noise inherent to vinyl playback itself, then there aren’t any software methods that will get rid of it without damaging the music. Vinyl groove noise differs a lot depending on vinyl formulation, the loudness of the cut etc.

The only method that actually works is folding down the lower frequencies to mono. Unfortunately, you can never apply this to an entire rip, since groove noise goes well up into audible bass frequencies, and you don’t want those folded. If you do it in a surgical way however in a software like iZotope RX in spectral view, you can get pretty good results. But it’ll take a loooong time to get right.

24. missan

missan Forum Resident

If the problem is record noise there is not much to do.

KT88 likes this.
  25. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

:chill:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.