What Is The Big Deal About "A Christmas Story" (1983)?!?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ky658, Nov 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I feel peaceful when I see the house...especially when it's snowing. friggin heavenly!

MikeInFla likes this.
  2. Sathington Willoughby

Sathington Willoughby Well-Known Member

3. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Thanks for sharing, I didn't think to ask when I was there. I just thought it looked different. Then when we got home and looked at the pictures is when I figured it out. I know they are doing their best to "upkeep" the area so I would have been surprised if the house was torn down. Normally they try to restore the homes on the street.

4. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

This movie goes to eleven.

Wil1972, Brian Waldron and ben_wood like this.
  5. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I'm packing up for a move, and I had to write "fragile" on a box, and the first thing that popped into my head was "fra-GIL-é".

6. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

This is currently the only Christmas movie that I would willingly watch out of anything other than a sense of obligation.

There are others that I have liked on their own terms for at least one viewing. There are many more that I watched solely to enhance the experience for someone I loved (and if I was lucky, some of that would rub off on me, even if the movie was a boring glurge-fest).

7. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

I agree with the OP in that I never got the appeal for this unfunny movie.

-Richard

8. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

This is a classic movie. I saw it in the theater when it came out. Funny thing, the junior high school that I was attending during that time had the same old furniture/decor like in this movie. The school I went to was old and must have been built around the same time. The narration is what really makes this this movie great. About every stereotype/cliche from that time was used in this movie.

MikeInFla, rburly and Michael like this.
  9. Michael

I really love Jean Shepard's voice!

Wil1972, MikeInFla, ben_wood and 5 others like this.
  10. Michael

I think it's more geared towards those who can remember the time of the good old days...from the 40's -60's...

11. Michael

yes after watching the movie FRAGILE no longer is fragile! HAHHAHA!

MikeInFla likes this.
  12. JBStephens

Bachman-Turner Overdrive - Not Fra-GEE-lay!

MikeInFla likes this.
  13. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

There are several Christmas movies I sit down and watch each year, but this is not one of them. It looks cheap, it feels forced, it's sort of annoying for the sake of being funny. I'm a big Darren McGavin fan and still can't get excited about it

14. MikeInFla

Same here, my elementary school was built in 1909. Same style building and everything. And today? It's a parking lot. :( I discovered this while roaming my old streets on Google Earth.

15. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

That's one of the reasons I like The Carousel of Progress Disney ride- because he narrates it. :)

MikeInFla, empirelvr and dewey02 like this.
  16. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

The same with my elementary school. It was 3 floors and had been a high school for many years. The building used coal to heat it for many years. The last I heard it was sitting empty and rooms were being rented to groups who wanted weekly meetings. It had to have been built before the 1920s.

17. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

MikeInFla likes this.
  18. MikeInFla

I remember the last time we were there we were trying to figure out who that familiar voice was.

19. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

I found your post refreshing. I realize this is all about taste, not objective criteria, but I don't care of this film at all. It is all about the sentiment of Christmas and a time period. Nothing wrong with that, but it's of little interest to me. I admit I don't care for Jean Shepherd, whom I remember reading his own pieces on NPR. To each his own, but I suspect we're not alone, and even if we are, we're entitled to our opinions as well as those who regard this as a classic.

20. Michael

he keeps your interest...

21. JBStephens

I grew up in the 1960's, and our first house had a coal furnace. A "clinker" is a chunk of fused ash and minerals that builds up in the funace when you burn bituminous coal.

22. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

Its my favorite movie. I actually AM the "old man".

Our familys thanksgiving night movie tradition: we watch this movie every time, to welcome in the christmas season. We've practically got it memorized, having seen it so many times, but we dont care. Half the dialogue has made its way into many family conversations -

"dont bother me, i'm thinking"

"but you LOVE (insert food article here), Ralphie"

"go upstairs, get dressed... we are going OUT to eat" (and of course we dont have an upstairs")

"its a major award! I won it!"

"Cant get up! I Cant get up! RALPHIE!"

"I want you to write..... A THEME".

it goes on and on of course.

Bobby Buckshot and rburly like this.
  23. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

are these real movies? I couldnt find a single one on Netflix. Not sure if you're just jesting with us...

24. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

The films listed are absolutely real. Go to www.imdb.com and look them up. They're there.

The problem is most of them, aside from My Summer Story (a/k/a It Runs In The Family) are PBS TV productions and not theatrical films. They aren't available for viewing due to rights issues. Places like the Paley Center for Media has them to view, but you won't see these on DVD or streaming any time soon.

25. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Classic! We use that all the time. I think my dog does too, he just can't vocalize it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.