What is the definitive Charlie Parker album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JazzPolice, Apr 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JazzPolice

JazzPolice Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I own a bunch of vinyl Charlie Parker compilations and I've seen very many, but I don't have a single, original issue, full length standard lp by this artist nor can I remember hearing one. I was wondering what is the definitive, career-defining album by Charlie Parker? Every artist has one of those records where if you're going to just get one, you get that one. For example, "Time Out" by Brubeck, etc.

2. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

This is my go to set, if you count compilations (which they are all compilations, technically).

[​IMG]

3. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I dont think that time period was "album" oriented. Its like saying "Whats a good Robert Johnson album?" Well, there isnt a such thing, really. They made songs or instrumentals and were catalogued and came as collective works in various forms. But I dont think he really can be said to have made specifically an album all at one time.

DJ LX likes this.
  4. JazzPolice

JazzPolice Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I see, so Charlie Parker never made a true full-length lp? I'm trying to avoid compilations. That is the whole point of this thread if that's all there is. What about EPs? Is there one that sticks out among the rest as being totally amazing and must-have?

5. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I only have it on the Verve Master Edition CD, but Bird & Diz is a great album. I've had a really hard time finding Charlie Parker records with even decent sound.

6. Rob C

Rob C Forum Resident

It's a live set but I think Diz and Bird Town Hall 1945 (on Uptown records) is the best. The best studio stuff isn't on one "album".

signothetimes53 likes this.
  7. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Well, since much of Parker's best music was made in the pre long playing album era, you have to look at anthologies really. Parker's most important, most influential and probably best music was the stuff recorded for Savoy and Dial -- which were two sided 78s, not albums -- and you can get all the master takes in an albums like this, which is absolutely the best Parker music to get if you're only buying one Parker album (but after you buy this one you won't stop at just one):

[​IMG]

In terms of albums released in his lifetime two that aren't necessarily typical bebop but brilliant Bird and great listening as albums are Charlie Parker with Strings, which originally was released as two, six-song EPs now gathered onto a single CD.

In terms of posthumous releases and anthologies the live set with Dizzy at Town Hall is a great and important early document, and the anthology of Bird's Latin Jazz sides, South of the Border, is great.

But start with the Savoy and Dial masters for sure. That's all the great original Bird bebop sides with his great classic quintet with Miles, Max Roach, Tommy Potter and Duke Jordan, plus more.

2xUeL, dino77, Robin L and 8 others like this.
  8. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

You can't really think about the music of the 40s and earlier in terms of "albums." Although 78s were often pulled together into sets that looked something like photo albums -- hence the whole concept of the "album" -- they weren't necessarily recorded as albums (unless it was a Broadway cast album or a classical piece that took up several 78 sides). Musicians did recording sessions and companies released two-sided 78s and later sometimes 10 and 12" EPs. It's not really until the 33 1/3 microgroove LP format arrives in '48, and becomes popular in the '50s that you start to get the modern notion of the album and artists recording entire sets of music to be heard together on a single long player.

9. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

JPN-TOCJ-6876_front.jpg

crispi and aoxomoxoa like this.
  10. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Another vote for Bird 'N Diz. Get the Verve cd.

SteelyTom likes this.
  11. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Basically there is no definitive Charlie Parker 12" album conceived as such. He died in March 1955, when the 20-minute 10" album was still the prestige format in jazz.

You could argue that Jazz At Massey Hall is as close as you can get to the "definitive" Charlie Parker "album." It was originally two 10" albums, Jazz at Massey Hall vol. 1 and Jazz at Massey Hall vol. 3. (Vol. 2 was Bud Powell's trio set from the concert.)

BrentNC and brianvargo like this.
  12. Claude

Claude Senior Member

But Jazz at Massey Hall is hardly definitive IMHO. It's an overhyped all-star concert.

ostrichfarm, dino77, bluesbro and 2 others like this.
  13. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

:shrug: I don't think it's overhyped, I think it's one of the best places to hear Bird stretch out...up there with the Town Hall concert, and more satisfying as an album.

DTK, brianvargo and rockinlazys like this.
  14. I have this CD and I echo CHervokas' comments. Very good.

15. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Right, and furthermore, Parker's classic quintet broke up at the end of 1948. All the most famous sides on which Parker's reputation first rested, and all those original recordings of those songs that formed his core repertoire -- "Ornithology," "Moose the Mooche," "Yardbird Suite," "Koko," Billie's Bounce," etc -- all predate the microgroove era. The definitive Charlie Parker recordings pretty much all have to be heard on a compilation.

J.A.W. and Maggie like this.
  16. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I think there are so many great radio broadcasts from Birdland and the Royal Roost in good sound with Bird's working bands, and similar recordings of Bird with Strings,which was another working group, that I think there are a bunch of ways to hear Bird stretching out on his own terms that I prefer to the Massey Hall album.

signothetimes53 likes this.
  17. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

as far as vinyl (that is in good condition) I have a couple (not lp's of course) with strings I have but I am still looking but soundstage direct has a new release 3 disc set that sold quickly I am waiting for it to come back in stock

I have the massey hall on sacd, town hall, and carnegie hall.....the latter 2 are better than mssey hall but all 3 worth owning

18. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

i like bird with strings album the best.

19. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

Which Verve CD, the original or remaster with bonus tracks?

20. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Either of 'em...; just get it. :righton:

(I only ever heard the VME...)

21. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

I just listened to the VME sound samples so just get it is the correct sentiment. In general, I have grown to dislike the VME's I have as too strident, a bit like some RVGs in that respect.
    Does anyone else have an opinion on which CD version of Bird & Diz to buy?

22. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

As often as radio DJ Symphony Sid's presence on those broadcasts is now maligned, I hear him and I hear the full broadcasts, and I'm transported back to 1949, in a good way. As sophisticated as our technology is today, the fact is that radio almost never delivers live jazz concerts anymore, but they were relatively common 70+ years ago. That's not progress, IMHO.

chervokas likes this.
  23. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

ruben lopez and dino77 like this.
  24. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Two essential Bird double LPs from the '70s:

The Savoy masters (released by Savoy Jazz/Arista):
    [​IMG]

The Dial masters (released by Warner Brothers):
    [​IMG]

On CD, this inexpensive collection is very comprehensive, and spans his entire career. It's a 'grey market' PD release (unauthorized) from Proper in the UK, but the sound is good and the booklet is thick and well-written:

http://www.*******.com/uploads/posts/2013-01/1358338181_47879.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  25. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

Yes it is truely amazing and one that Mr Parker was very proud of!!

aoxomoxoa and pinkrudy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.