SH Spotlight What is the difference between a multi-track tape, a "mixdown" and a master tape?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

The term vinegar syndrome started with 35mm mag fullcoat.

Problem was, in the movie biz, the mag was stored in metal cans for protection which over the years reacted and caused the breakdown. The cheap indie studios stored their mag in cardboard containers on cores and these have survived for the most part.

So because of the metal reels the entire three channel music score for 1959's BEN HUR has vinegar syndrome and is now dead while Victor Young's AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS from 1956 stored on plastic cores in Todd-AO cardboard containers can still be played. It is stinking a bit though..

hi_watt and longdist01 like this.
  2. william shears

william shears Senior Member

I'm presuming it smells of..erm...vinegar, right? Is the smell/fume toxic?

3. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

He actually did a LOT of work w/Steve Desper...transferring the 4 track tapes and locating every possible reel but it was too daunting of a task!

hi_watt likes this.
  4. Steve Hoffman

Well, anything is toxic in a large enough dose. Let's just say that when I was working for Warner Bros. Studios I had to wear a gas mask during collating and mastering the film scores from the 1950s. Damn near gave me a nervous breakdown; had to quit..

5. posieflump

posieflump New Member

Not immediately toxic, but certainly carcinogenic. Vile stuff. I worked on the BBC mag track preservation project in London - we were lucky the project started when it did. Another five years and there could have been significant losses.

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Steve, you should contact the guy whoes the Dirty Jobs show for the discovery Channel. They are always looking for stuff.

longdist01 likes this.
  7. Steve Hoffman

Reopened by request.

Exotiki and longdist01 like this.
  8. joshm2286

joshm2286 Forum Resident

I have seen discussions like this here and on other websites. Thank to all for the info. I learned something new by reading this.

Paul R likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.