What is the difference between REVERB and ECHO?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sgt. Pepper, May 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sgt. Pepper

Sgt. Pepper Member Thread Starter

So, what exactly is the difference between reverb and echo? :)

2. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

It can be different lingo for the same thing. Although, I tend to think of echo as more of a d-e-l-a-y and reverb as (((reverb))).

altaeria likes this.
  3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Rrrrreeeevvvveeerrrbbbbb. Reverberation chamber.

ECHO-ECHO-Echo-echo-co-o. Like calling "Hello" on a mountain top.

Make sense?

Really, these days it means the same thing in the music biz.

905 likes this.
  4. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

That's a good question. I think of echo as an acoustic event and reverb as an electric event, but I guess you can look at it different ways. Might see some interesting things in this thread. :cool:

5. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

How to describe tremelo?

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I like the word reverb. For some reason it bugs me when people call it "echo". I know, life's too short to be bugged by this small stuff.

goodiesguy likes this.
  7. Sgt. Pepper

Sgt. Pepper Member Thread Starter

So, if I understand correctly, reverb is generated by being in a booth, room, church, etc.

How about echo? How do you get this on a recording? I mean back in the good ol' days of analog tape. See, I used to think that echo was generated by a chamber, and reverb was generated electronically. So I was backwards. :D

Could you provide some recorded examples of each (Beatles, Simon & Garfunkle, etc.)?

8. If you want good ol' fashioned tape echo on a Beatles record, listen to "Everybody Wants To Be My Baby."

altaeria likes this.
  9. Steve Hoffman

See, it's tricky. An "echo chamber" like Capitol and Abbey Road/EMI had in the good old days really were REVERBERATION chambers. Echo in that sense would be a delay, like a Sun Elvis record, "slap-echo" as it was called. When you combine the two you get that famous Abbey Road or Columbia sound. Listen to I LEFT MY HEART IN SAN FRANCISCO/Tony Bennett or the stereo Beatles' FROM ME TO YOU, Hollies SO LONELY, etc. to hear both in action at the same time. Sun never used a chamber, just the tape head delay "slap" for the cheap way out. Had a neat sound though.. RCA-Victor sort of combined the two for Elvis' HEARTBREAK HOTEL...

Norman Petty at his studio in Clovis had Buddy Holly and the Crickets tile up a bathroom, put a speaker and RCA ribbon mic in there to get the echo used on OH, BOY, PEGGY SUE, etc. No delay, just reverb. "Ya want reverb on your record, go tile up the bathroom, boys!"

Listen to the beginning of PEGGY SUE for a perfect example of "reverb on, reverb off", done live during recording by turning the reverb pot up and down.

The famous GOLD STAR STUDIOS chamber was a simple reverb chamber with certain extra-special groovy lower midrange resonances but no delay. The secret of their great sound (other than that the echo had no distracting top end) was to COMPRESS THE ECHO before it returned to the console. Took me years to figure that out. In the end I just asked Dave Gold how he did it.

10. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

In the olden days echo (or delay as it's called now) was done with tape machines. It's how Sun Records got the slap echo on Elvis' voice, it's how Abbey Road made ADT (automatic double tracking) it's how they made the echos on Paper Back Writer-er-er-er.

Reverb was either done with a live chamber (like on Phil Spector records and Beatles recordings) where a speaker was placed in a reverberant room, recorded with a microphone at the other end of the room and mixed into the signal at the console or with a plate reverb (click the link for a cool site with pictures and explanations). I have two plate reverbs and they're awesome! The reverb is dense and shiny. Think of the snare drum hits on Simon & Garfunkel's song The Boxer during the "La lala... Boing!" section. That's the sound of my plates.

Now everything is done digitally. I still use a tape delay and plate reverb but digital reverbs are so good now there's no way anyone can possibly detect one from another.

11. stumpy

stumpy Forum Resident

I always looked at reverb as echo without the space. Almost an overlapping of sound with reverb vs. a definitive spacing using echo.

But what do I know...

kevin5brown likes this.
  12. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I would say with reverb you generally can't hear the individual reflections and with echo you can. Obviously not everybody will agree with this definition.

altaeria likes this.
  13. AudioGirl

AudioGirl Forum Resident

I guess we should know this (at least I should, knowing you) but how is "compressing the echo" a good thing, exactly?

14. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

That's good. I like it.

15. Steve Hoffman

Well, normally reverb has dynamic range and the peaks rise and fall along with the music. This means when the violins play low, there is no reverb to hear so it has to be cranked up. With the Gold Star chamber, the echo is always there at the same volume, lacking in dynamics but easy to feed right in under the music (or in Phil Spector's case OVER the music). It can sound massive without really being so. Listen to any WALL OF SOUND or TJB record and you will hear how it works. It's a neat trick. Not for every case but it does have uses.

16. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

It would make it sound longer and more dense. With enough compression you can make a bathroom sound like a gymnasium.

17. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Tommy Roe's Sheila seemed to do a similar thing.

Interesting that Gold Star compressed their returns. That makes a lot of sense. I did get to go into that chamber once and it was like going back in a time machine, though you were right about it being short.

I was lucky enough to work there once in 1978 though it was just to do a transfer. None the less it was quite exciting just to be there and take in some of the history.

Btw, we used to use old EMT 140 plate reverbs at Dawnbreaker and we would sometimes compress those returns. I seem to remember that some of the plates actually had compression in the internal tube electronics but it's been a while and I could be mixing things up.

18. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Yes, compression can add a lot of sustain to a sound by increasing the gain as the sound is decaying.

19. Steve Hoffman

Doug,

Every EMT plate I've ever used does compress the sound a bit but not enough to get that Gold Star Sound.

My little trick when using the EMT is to EQ the sound, bumping the bass and lower mids and tapering off the top. It sounds like Gold Star echo but dynamic. It never gets in the way and sounds more natural than the straight plate sound (to me)...

20. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

So something like Eddie Cochran would be echo and not reverb?

21. Steve Hoffman

No. That is Gold Star reverb. See my above posts.

22. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Keep in mind that some people use a straight delay before or after the reverb which can yield a very cool sound. I guess this technique has both reverb and echo depending on your definitions.

23. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

Well, what you and Steve are saying is that it was essentially like the "STEED" chamber echo/tape echo they had at EMI. But is that true even for a song like "Sittin' in the Balcony" with the rather exaggerated echo/reverb at the end?

24. Steve Hoffman

As I mentioned above, the "John Steed" EMI trick was a combination of both. They stopped using that in the late 1960's for some reason, too dated sounding I guess.

Wasn't SITTIN' IN THE BALCONY recorded at Liberty? No idea about what was use to make it wet, I've never made it to the end of the song.

25. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Tremolo is itself polysemous. As a playing technique, it denotes (say) a violinist moving her bow rapidly back and forth on the same note, or alternating two different notes. As an electronic sound process, imagine a long held note (say on a guitar this time) with the sound being rapidly turned off and on repeatedly. Unlike the playing technique, it's just one note being played but it sounds sorta like it's being hit again and again. A well-known example is the guitar chords in the intro to Pink Floyd's 'Money'--after the cash register effects you get the bass line stabbed with a single guitar chords that has a fairly quick tremolo applied to it. It reiterates as it fades away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.