What is the difference between the current Bose Acoustimass 5 Series 3 versus the Series 2 speakers?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Undergroundhero, Sep 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Undergroundhero

Undergroundhero Active Member Thread Starter

Hi, I know that I am probably going to get a lot of flack in here by some serious audiophiles for just spelling out the mere word of Bose, but before you shoot me down, please take a little time to read my request with care...............

I personally have never had problems with any Bose products like some customers have, and Bose customer service has always been exceptional to me.

Bose upgraded their Acoustimass 5 speakers from the $600.00 Series 2, to the now $400.00 Series 3, and I was wondering what the difference is? Has anyone in this forum ever did a side by side comparison between the Series 2 versus the Series 3 to hear any difference in sound?

Yeah, I know some of you in here are probably going to steer me in a separate direction, and you will probably tell me to shop elsewhere when looking for speakers, but I already own the Acoustimass 5 Series 2, and am quite happy with it. So, if I were to purchase the Series 3 speaker, should I expect any change in sound as upgrade, or will it be the same as the Series 2, but perhaps with upgraded, or even downgraded parts?

Any knowledge here would be appreciated.........

Thanks!

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Usually, the higher the Bose series is, they get cheaper made and downgraded.

3. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

This was always true with the 901's and the 501's.

4. Undergroundhero

Okay, so what is their basis or reasoning on this? Has there ever been any substantial evidential proof to support that notion? And, it what way did they sound to give you that impression? Did they sound any different, or were the parts just made cheaper?

5. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I had a few pairs of Bose 901's, and the Series I stood out as being so nice, the Series II did not even sound good, and my last pair was Series III which I really didn't like that much. I wish that I had of kept the Series I. Of course this was all my personal experience, and might not match everybody else's. But the quality seemed to diminish with each successive generation. I only owned one pair of Bose 501's, Series III, but I heard the Series IV and they did not sound as good as the III's.

Undergroundhero likes this.
  6. dat56

dat56 Well-Known Member

I don't know what would account for that much price drop other than market considerations. It was probably just priced too high to compete today. $400 looks to be a still somewhat high, but fair price. ($360 on sale)

My personal experience with Bose speakers is limited to the pair of Series IV 901's I owned in the seventies and the Series VI 901's from 2009 that I own today. I have not noticed any change in build quality from one to the other. Usually a series change denotes some major design changes, but with the Acoustimas 5's, I just don't know what they were. I'd ask Bose directly. I think if you liked your Series II's, you'd probably like the III's at least as much if not more. Besides, they give you what, 30-45 days to try them in your home? If you don'r like them, send them back. Nothing to lose.

7. Undergroundhero

Yeah, I know........I guess I am just trying to do just that; understanding the differences, but mainly in sound. Who knows? Perhaps there is no big deal or difference with these. I just wish that Bose was more specific with their specs in terms of these changes. With that said, I am wondering if they started using parts made outside of the U.S., or if using foreign parts has always been the case, not just with Bose, but even with other corporations who make speakers?

Not that this is any big deal, but from what I understand, parts can be cheaper to produce in other countries outside of the U.S. than it is in the U.S. to produce in itself. So, I do wonder with cheaply made parts, is there an actual degradation in quality?

8. dat56

dat56 Well-Known Member

Ha-ha...Bose and their specs...or lack thereof. Now, there's a real can of worms! ;)

As far as country of manufacture, I don'tknow where Bose get's their drivers. Most drivers in most speakers are not made in the USA, though. I have pretty much stopped worrying about such things. So many industries are international in nature these days; pieces from here, parts from there...I just don't see any point in fretting over it anymore.

My inner audiophile is impressed with high quality parts, but really, the cheapest part that does the job gets the consumer the best performance for the least money. Kind of hard to argue against that logic, imho. All I know is, I love my 901's, cheap parts and all. It's the sound that matters in the end!:cool:

9. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

You use this in a multichannel system for movies and music?

10. Undergroundhero

I use my current set up for just music, and I use an Onkyo TX-8511 receiver. I listen to some compact discs, but I am mainly a vinyl enthusiast. What is your opinion of an Onkyo receiver? I think I have a decent set up, given that Bose has recommended the use of Onkyo in the past to accommodate their speakers. What do you think?

11. dat56

dat56 Well-Known Member

<,deleted ref removed>, but I didn't "settle" for Bose. They just sounded much better than anything else I tried. I'm not saying they were or are objectively better in any way than...anything, really, but they do work better for me in my room than some much more expensive speakers that preceded them. It's a crazy world!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2013
  12. Undergroundhero

Yes, I agree dat56. The way everyone hears something is all based upon subjective perception. This is the reason why there is about as many speakers, as there are people who are creating them. I believe there is always somebody out there who is looking to create that "perfect speaker". With that said, for as many imperfect humans who make speakers, I must say that they have yet to create a speaker that is so perfect in sound that it is "THE speaker" to end all speakers.

Well, I am still waiting, and it hasn't happened yet. Frankly, for my money, Bose has put out a speaker that seems to replicate the effect of a live performance contained within a tiny cube speaker, which for me has always been impressive. it has nothing to do with the appearance of a speaker either; what it has to do with is using your ears, and whatever you perceive sounds good to you.......

Just as long as it isn't a Fisher or any other Radio Shack brand name speaker.:laugh:

13. dat56

dat56 Well-Known Member

No, there will never be a perfect louspeaker! Music is too varied, listening rooms are too varied and peoples' tastes are even too varied.

My take on what Bose does very well, is just to give you a natural, organic, spacious and musical sound, with more bass than you would expect, in a stylish and small form factor, at a reasonable price. I think they do that with varying degrees of success across their product range.

RickH likes this.
  14. macster

macster Forum Resident

Uhhh

I listen to Bose speakers (Lifestyle 38 system here) a lot and I actually like them for what they do. Last night, I was listening to a needle drop of Aretha Franklin "You" that I burned to a CD and uploaded to the Lifestyle 38, It was all good, but I readily admit I love music, what's it played on is secondary to me, as long I can get the groove going.

M~

15. dat56

dat56 Well-Known Member

I'm getting there. Good is good.

macster likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.