What is the greatest rock guitar ever?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by colgems1966, Jul 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. townsend

townsend Senior Member

In a binary world, one of them has to go first.

But one could have written each guitar out on a separate piece of paper, folded them and put them in a hat, and then blindly draw them out, and list them in that order. It's all good. Thanks for the poll -- it is a difficult choice between Strat and LP regardless.

colgems1966 likes this.
  2. Jerjo

Jerjo Forum Resident

I voted for the Strat because it was so versatile and so...rock n' roll. But my favorite sound is a Les Paul roaring through a Marshall stack.

townsend and colgems1966 like this.
  3. colgems1966

colgems1966 PhD in Les Pauls and Telecasters Thread Starter

It’s shaping up to be the Stratocaster vs. Les Paul battle I knew it would be. I am a little surprised the Telecaster is so far behind.

ianuaditis likes this.
  4. colgems1966

colgems1966 PhD in Les Pauls and Telecasters Thread Starter

Anyone else care to vote before the poll closes?

5. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

KRAMER IS ALL THAT MATTERS !!!!!!

ianuaditis likes this.
  6. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

7. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Danelectro DC2

Frozensoda likes this.
  8. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Same with The Edge and U2.

9. Malcolm Crowne

Malcolm Crowne Forum Habitue

I know it's going to be either strat or les but hey, you can play all kind of music on those -- greatest "rock"guitar has to be THE V baby![​IMG]

Dudley Morris, bhazen and colgems1966 like this.
  10. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

It's crazy, almost nobody uses the Jazzmaster to play Jazz, but it's become de rigueur for alternative rock and, especially, Shoegaze.

11. Michaelpeth

Michaelpeth Forum Resident

Strat...Rock? It's not possible.

12. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

I'll go with Johnny Thunders' ax of choice -- the Les Paul Jr. double cutaway -- as the ultimate, no frills rock'n'roll guitar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Stratocaster.

What a beautiful, and ahead-of-its-time shape and design. I still remember the first time I saw one ... a b&w pic of Buddy Holly in the Spokane paper, maybe 1958 or so. I hadn't yet made the decision to play guitar*, but I thought that guitar -- a tobacco-'burst Strat, with maple fretboard -- was cooler than anything I'd ever seen.

You can get any conceivable pop music guitar sound with one: rawk, rockabilly, jazz, metal, punk, surf, funk, artsy -- the end is listless, truly.

Like it's sibling the Tele, being a Fender, it's endlessly customizable -- there's an entire universe of aftermarket parts, gadgets, refinements and style add-ons. Pickups is just one area where you can find that sound in your head. Plus, you can adjust the wobble arm (number of springs, spring tension, etc.) to suit your own playing technique. Bolt-on neck, easily removable scratch plate/wiring harness means you can quickly make changes that effectively alter the character of the guitar (different pickups, necks, wiring configs, what have you).

And then there's the most genius thing, in my view: the ergonomics of the guitar. The volume control located right by your pinkie if you're picking by the bridge which, in my case, means you can do volume swells and other dynamic stuff with resorting to a volume pedal. Having the tone controls close by allows other fun stuff (Jeff Beck can make his Strat cry like a jungle cat). And then there's the unique contouring done on the back of the guitar, which makes it the most comfortable guitar I've come across.

I won't bore you with a list of who's who played one ...

*That would come a couple of years later,, when I heard the Shadows; Hank Marvin, of course, playing a Strat.

14. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

I voted Strat.
    You can make a Strat sound like anything else. Getting a Les Paul to sound like a Strat is not possible.

Frozensoda and bhazen like this.
  15. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Fender Strat :righton:

16. FFF

FFF Forum Resident

Gibson Les Paul because.....Page, Perry, Allman

17. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

That's right.

The great thing about classic Fender low-output single coils ... they're by nature clean and (kind of) neutral. By adding gain, contouring the output with e.q. or whatever, you can get massive sustain and tone. (Ask Robin Trower.) Les Pauls (or other humbucker-equipped, heavy guitars) already have a big, round, phat sound, so you must perforce subtract to approach where a Fender starts (say, a twanging/jangling bright sound; not an easy task.) Now, there are some exceptions -- some humbucker-equipped SG's can be jangly, with that light body. But SG's are a very problematic design, in my view -- often with tuning issues, balance problems (too-light body, dragging the headstock down while playing, etc.)

Mai Tem Baht and Scroller like this.
  18. SG47

SG47 Forum Resident

I'll go with the Strat

19. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

I vote Coodercaster. Les Paul Jr. when Leslie West steps into one.

My most recent fav. is a Gordon Giltrap Elise Fret-King MK II which I like better then any of my 335s believe it or not.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    bhazen likes this.
  20. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Got to go with Rory & Jimi on this one. Stratocaster for the win.

21. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

As a Tele guy for many years I used to think that as well, until I decided to switch up my sound and swap my Telecaster for a Stratocaster. If they make electric guitars more versatile than a Strat I have yet to hear one. With my old Telecaster I loved the bridge pickup tone, I probably never moved the pickup selector switch unless it was by accident all the time I owned the thing. With my Strat it's the opposite, neck pickup for lead, pickup selector in the middle for rhythm.

bhazen likes this.
  22. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

A guitar is only as good as the music it makes: for my money (literally, as I have one...) the Rickenbacker, and the Telecaster seems to crop up when I investigate a sound I love.

23. fairies

fairies Forum Resident

59er Gibson Les Paul and Black Beauty Custom

24. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

I definitely hear you regarding the neck pickup for lead - my main problem with the Strat is that, when playing rhythm, I just can't get it to sound like it has any balls, for lack of a better term. The Tele has a certain "honk" for me, whereas the Strat just kind of... exists. I never spend much time on the middle pickup - I'll give that a whirl for a while.

25. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.