What is the scariest/creepiest music you've heard?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris R, Sep 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

The Torture Never Stops — Zappa (satire of creepy music)

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  2. expo62

expo62 Forum Resident

Its been mentioned earlier in this thread...but this really is a disturbing listen.

Comus - First Utterance

"The Herald" in particular really sets that unsettling autumnal, Halloween mood.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  3. Thirty pages into the thread, not sure how many of these have been mentioned, but here goes...

Grand prize must go to THE LAST SUPPER by ****** Dentata Organ:

The material on this record consists of almost the entire Jonestown "death tape" (Q42) from November 18, 1978, along with approximately 2.5 minutes of additional Jim Jones speeches and sermons at the start of side A.

Picture disc with insert released in an edition of 912 hand-numbered copies, one copy for each dead person on the mass suicide, though like other VDO discs it can be assumed that 1000 copies were pressed and 88 copies were numbered as '23'.

The fact that this is an actual recording of hundreds of people dying as they're coached into the afterlife by Jim Jones makes this a lot more creepy than it might actually sound.

****** Dentata Organ has done some other pretty creepy sick releases. There's one with sampled and processed tapes of wolves growling and snarling over two sides of vinyl called Music For The Hashishins In Memoriam Of Hasan Sabbah. And another unnerving one is Cold Meat which is another picture disc LP, this time with autopsy photos of Marilyn Monroe and Elvis Presley, and the recorded sounds being some kind of sex torture ritual with female moans and gasps of pain and ecstasy. VDO is a card carrying Satanist perhaps best known for his work on the early Psychic TV track "Thee Full Pack" (which was expanded into the above named Hashishins LP).

Going down from there, I'm thinking of whatever tracks and full albums I can recall from my listening history which spring to mind. I used to do a radio show and I would have a hell of a lot of fun putting together my Halloween show every year.

Diamanda Galas is pretty scary, especially The Divine Punishment and Saint Of The Pit albums from the late 80s. Howls of blood curdling terror...

THE LEGEND OF EER by Iannis Xenakis, an electronic classical composition, is quite unsettling, starting off with some sparse unpleasant high pitched beeps and gradually descending into a maelstrom of roaring screeches and buzzing.

The track entitled "Seynete" from Barricades 3, the first album by ZNR, is very disturbing due to the minor chords and electronically processed vocal track.

And parts of LE VOYAGE by Pierre Henry, a musique concrete treatment of the Tibetan Book Of The Dead, has some hellacious labored breathing sounding like death gasps in the mix.

"Evening Of Light" by Nico from The Marble Index is a noteworthy track, as she ably evokes the refrain "Midnight winds are landing at the end of time..."

And "Ork Alarm" by Magma from their fourth record Kohntarkosz is brutally malevolent, sounding like some extraterrestrial Black Mass with ensemble bowed cellos and double basses in the style of Penderecki or Bernard Herrmann's Psycho score, and guttural chanting is the piece descends into a chthonic vortex of delirium.

And of course Comus' First Utterance, as mentioned in a previous post, with "Drip Drip."

I could think of others...

Front 242 Addict and RTW like this.
  4. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

5. Finch Platte

Finch Platte Lettme Rundatt Bayou

6. This has a really creepy vibe, child's nightmare kinda feel...

7. "Could this be the end of the world we're livin' in? Oooh..."

MilesTrane likes this.
  8. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

Diamonda Galas-Litanies of Satan

9. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Scary/Terrifying (Dario Argento) Suspense-Thriller
    The Bird With The Crystal Plumage
    Theme Song

Sorry, if you've ever seen the movie, instantly takes you there.
    Oh no, now I'm going to be having those haunting images behind my eyeballs when I close 'em! :yikes:

Not scary, but it definitely creeps me out. I'd purchased maybe 5 years ago. I guess thought I liked it...
    when I got it & played it, I couldn't even listen beyond the Intro. Listened to only about 2 notes in order to give link (thought maybe I'd be over whatever it is, but no)

Brian Jonestown Massacre: Their Satanic Majesties Second Request
    The Brian Jonestown Massacre - Their Satanic Majesties' Second Request (Full Album)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    Rick Robson likes this.
  10. Billchi_11

Billchi_11 What would DBoon do?

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but....when I was younger I thought Tubular Bells was pretty creepy...esp after a couple tokes

RickH, fuse999 and Lewisboogie like this.
  11. RTW

RTW Forum Resident

The Exorcist. Duh!

12. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

I find the Beach Boys "Wind Chimes", in its Smiley Smile version, to be super creepy and eerie, and that loud fog-horn thing in the middle just adds to the eerie vibe. It scared me off my seat the first time I heard the song, especially since I was turning up the volume to hear the rest of the song, and then suddenly this loud thingy blares out in the middle

giantleech likes this.
  13. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

On the short list for sure!

[​IMG]

Marble Index likes this.
  14. classicrockguy

LOL that was more funny than creepy, but in a good way, kind of silly and campy.

15. classicrockguy

On a similar note to the Chiller Theater post, I always thought I was the only one that thought that the 1970's PBS logo was creepy, until I read the comments on Youtube - turns out I was far from the only one heehee
    On a similar note, I always thought I was the only one that thought that the 1970's PBS logo was creepy, until I read the comments on Youtube - turns out I was far from the only one heehee

16. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

More cartoony than creepy, I would say.

17. Gagnedouze

Gagnedouze Forum Resident

Played Echoes by Pink Floyd again earlier and my two young kids were looking at the system perplexed at the whale/albatross sounds.

Terrifying but beautiful at the same time.

18. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

19. sore_and_crucified

sore_and_crucified Forum Resident

Ghosts Of The Civil Dead- Soundtrack

I remember my brother playing me this when I was younger and it freaked me out at the time. No wonder I turned out so weird ha.

20. MHS3

MHS3 "Long Live Rock'n'Roll"

21. giumag

giumag Forum Resident

No doubt about it...
    'The Shining'

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  22. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

Good calls with the Shining soundtrack and the opening of “Tubular Bells.” I’d add Alice Cooper’s “Ballad of Dwight Frye,” “Years Ago,” and “Steven,” and the Frogs’ cover of Pearl Jam’s “Rearview Mirror.” I’m sure I’ll think of more.

23. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I once fell asleep with MEDDLE playing. I was awakened by the middle section of Echoes and a sick feeling in my stomach from napping too long. A very unsettling experience. I still love the album...and Echoes.

Gagnedouze likes this.
  24. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

25. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

Ariana Grande and the other young "females" of today who are programmed by the corpocracy.

Hammerpeg likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.