What is the worst film you have ever seen? (Pt. 2)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by -Alan, Oct 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Though it is highly acclaimed in some circles, I just didn't get Being John Malkovich

jupiterboy likes this.
  3. It's definitely overrated, I'll give you that. This and Election would be my entries in any "Most Overrated Movies" thread.

4. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

In response to the member who said that the hate for Eraserhead made him sad, I will explain why I hate the film. I have a severely disabled child. I hate the way that Eraserhead makes murder of a severely disabled person all part of the "hipper than thou" pretentious artsy fest, just one more "really cool scene" in the self-consciously off-kilter Really Important Work of Art I Am Creating Here. This truly offends me.

5. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

Wow. It'd never occur to me to see the Eraserhead baby as a "severely disabled person." To the extent that the baby seems human at all (which is not very), it just seems to be a personification of fears of fatherhood in general.

6. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

Well, we all bring different life experiences to the arts. Having been around a lot of severely disabled people, the baby in Eraserhead was within what you might find in an institution of severely disabled, but sentient and lovable, human beings.

Your last comment is precisely why I hate the film. A living being who was presented within the story as a human birth, with appropriate reactions to having a cold and other sentient responses, was casually killed, but it is O.K. because he is just an artistic symbol, just the personification of fears of fatherhood in general.

To me, that is no different than showing the genocide of an ethnic group as the personification of fears, of those who differ from an xenophobic society's mainstream population, in general. To use humans so cheaply really offends me.

7. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Not sure how far I want to get into this aspect of Eraserhead, I'm just going to say this: I found it hard to see the "baby" in the film as entirely human, and in fact I did see it as a manifestation of fear. I mean, within the context of total surrealism that surrounds every single part of this movie, its impossible to accept these events as "reality" - or as actually occurring other than in the mind, or this alternate "world." So, I can't really go with the idea that a human is being killed or degraded.

That being said, if you are going to make that argument, wouldn't it apply even more to a movie like, say, I don't know, Rambo or some slasher flick or something, where the setting is supposed to be "real" and the "victims" are obviously human?

I don't like Eraserhead a bit, btw. I can (somewhat) admire how its made and what Lynch was trying to get at, but I just can't "enjoy" it on any level. So, for me, it would never go on any worst of list - it would definitely make any "weirdest" list.

8. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I find it mildly amusing. It's an absolutely brilliant film compared to Get Smart, nouveau, that I recorded off HBO and viewed night before last. Get Smart is the most pathetic comedy I've seen since Nacho Libre...:shake:...I never laughed once. It was hard to even finish it.

9. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

Photo below. Let the reader be the judge. Underneath the bandages, there's nothing but internal organs.

Personally, I think Lynch was going for something that looked like a sperm.

The killing doesn't strike me as casual, and I can't see that the film presents it as "O.K." To at least some degree, I think we're meant to sympathise with the baby.

For that matter, it's not even really presented as a human birth. "Mother, they're still not sure it is a baby!"

Attached Files:

10. Brian81

Brian81 Forum Resident

Moulin Rouge :hurl: Glad I didn't blind buy it on D-Theater.

11. Rachael Bee

I adore it. I watched my tape of it this week.

12. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I enjoy it. First I enjoyed the weirdness and the cinematography and sound design. Once the weirdness wore off, I enjoyed the humor. Haven't watched it in a little while, who knows what I'll find the next time.

13. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I'm not much of a David Lynch fan-I seriously disliked Blue Velvet-but all this talk about Eraserhead is making me want to revisit it. I haven't seen it in probably close to 20 years.

14. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I've heard that interpretation before, and it makes a lot of sense.

Good point, I'd forgotten that line of dialogue.

And I still say if these are the "worst movies you've ever seen" you need to suffer through Manos.

GTOJUDGE likes this.
  15. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I consider myself forewarned about Get Smart.

Wasn't really planning on watching it anyway because though I like Anne Hathaway :love: Steve Carrell IMHO falls into that "he's not even remotely funny, how does he have a career?" category. (Same category as Will Ferrell).

Scooterpiety likes this.
  16. Brian81

Brian81 Forum Resident

Will Ferrell isn't that funny but I found 'Old School' and 'Blades of Fury' funny. The latter because I actually watch Olympic figure skating. :hide:

17. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

Election might just be the single most overrated movie i've ever see.:thumbsdn:

18. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Just shows that many can mis-interpret things based on emotion. I highly doubt that was his intentions, yet you still had that response to it. I consider it a very creative film.

19. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I finally got to see Eraserhead many years ago.

It wasnt that great. One of those movies where the 'legend' is greater than the movie itself.

Like a lot of Lynch's movies, the hype often leaves you dissapointed.

I still feel his most coherent and entertaining movie is The Elephant man.

20. bruce_campbell

bruce_campbell New Member

Since we have started part two of the thread the worst movie I have ever seen is still Tarantino's Death Proof.

wayneklein likes this.
  21. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I used to feel that way Uuntil I saw the Straight Story. I couldn't believe Lynch could make such a focused, straightforward and yes, sentimental story. Now Elephant Man is #2. I still get the willies from that opening sequence, for some reason.

22. Rachael Bee

I'm with you....:agree:...all he does is stand there and give these incredulous, straight-faced looks and weird eye motions. He seems good at that and little else.

23. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

I couldn't sit through Helge Schneider's "Texas Doc Snyder kehrt zurück", but waiting for the music, I forced myself to sit through Bob Dylan's "Masked And Anonymous".
    In the latter, the characters just rambled on and on like it was all coming from out of the same mouth, which we all know that it did. I guess the dubbed version of it was somewhat lacking but I'm not sure.

24. C'mon, he was great in The 40 Year Old Virgin!

25. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

Extra credit for the waxing scene which, I believe, was really performed.

Of course, having said that, if the scene was real his reaction wasn't really acting. He just has big yarbles. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.