What is the worst film you have ever seen? (Pt. 2)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by -Alan, Oct 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

I must agree, and I'd add Jack Black as well.

2. Thanks for the tip, I'll check out Inglorious Basterds at some point Im sure (I love the subject matter).

3. All Michael Bay films are automatic contenders for this list. He's the Vlad Meller of the film world.

4. Inflated budgets and related decadence might have had something to do with it. There's no way that a couple of movies that should have cost under $500k combined were made for $50 million. It's not like Rodriguez dosen't know how to make a movie on the cheap!

5. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

What he and Farrell do is accentuate the uncomfortable moments in life to an intolerable degree -- which is, for me, the the very definition of comedy. I find his work on The Office to be almost unbearably funny.

Having said that -- Get Smart sucked eggs.

Worst film I've seen lately -- it's actually a tie. XMen: Origins: Wolverine is an unbelievable mish-mash of bad scripts and poorly-paced versions of already-done-better-in-another-Xmen-movie-moments.

The other would be the inexcusable Indiana Jones and the Cave of the Crystal Skulls. Normally, I will defend Speilberg to the hilt, but this is egregious beyond the limit. There is no limit of 'what were they thinking' bits in that one. Shia LaBouf swinging like Tarzan, ants that only kill bad guys, going over three cliffs and waterfalls in a jeep, architecture that starts moving every five minutes? Right.

6. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

For me it's a tie between "Merry Christmas Mister Lawrence" and "Liquid Sky". And I think I saw them less than a week apart in the fall of 1983.

7. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Nothing will ever be worse than the Gwyneth Paltrow airline stewardess movie, but The Dark Knight gave it a run for its money.

TonyR likes this.
  8. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

You had me...

Then you lost me.

GTOJUDGE likes this.
  9. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

A Knight's Tale (2001) starring Heath Ledger. :eek:

It's so bad it's not even funny.

10. I like 'em both.

11. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Ah, they're two of the funniest guys working in films/tv today. Who do you think is funnier in scripted stuff?

12. For me all of M. Knight's films are automatic contenders because his formula was good for all of one movie (The 6th Sense) yet he continues to crank the crap out...

(I clipped this post from the "Happening" thread -lest we forget)

Lets see...

Sixth Sense = Fantasy premise mixed with realistic characters and heavy moralizing with the lead character overcoming his emotional trauma. Plus a surprise ending.

Signs = Fantasy premise mixed with realistic characters and heavy moralizing with the lead character overcoming his emotional trauma. Plus a surprise ending.

Unbreakable = Fantasy premise mixed with realistic characters and heavy moralizing with the lead character overcoming his emotional trauma. Plus a surprise ending.

The Village = Fantasy premise mixed with realistic characters and heavy moralizing with the lead character overcoming her emotional trauma. Plus a surprise ending.

The Lady in the Water = Fantasy premise mixed with stereotypical characters and heavy moralizing with the lead character overcoming his emotional trauma. Plus a surprise ending.

The Happening = Silliest premise of all (still fantasy) lamest characters (all underdeveloped) and not much of a surprise ending.

I guess The Happening really does break the streak and should be acknowledged as something of a different direction from a director / writer who clearly is a one trick pony.

13. As I've said before, the guy's essentially a Peter Greenaway for the cineplex set - a maker of moody/pretentious shaggy dog stories. I'd rather just read an old horror/crime comic from the 1950s, which give you those "shocking" or "twist" endings in six pages or less and more entertaingly, too.

14. Brian81

Brian81 Forum Resident

Vlado Meller did a good job on the old CBS Stones CDs.. :p

15. Brian81

Brian81 Forum Resident

Serious? Man, I thought that was a good one. Was it Christian Bale's angry voice? These last two Batman movies have been great IMO. Best since the Burton ones, maybe better.

16. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

DARK KNIGHT is high on my "hate" list, because it's so damn bloated and pretentious, as if they had the money to film every idea they had, resulting one unsatisfying movie that felt like two mediocre films cobbled together (the Joker and Half Face storylines) along with deleted scenes from a third (the James Bond-ish sidetrack to Asia).

And DARK KNIGHT was a tremendous financial and critical success, which makes my loathing look like mere contrariness. But see the popular and well-received IRON MAN for an example of how I think something like DARK KNIGHT should be done.

17. uncle

uncle Senior Member

The Fountain
    Shakespeare in Love

18. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Good (or should I say bad;)) choices.

The Fountain was dreadly dreary and depressing (alliteration unintentional:))

Anything with Gwyneth Paltrow is on my hit list.
    She is the blandest actress out there IMHO.

19. The whole point of the film was to have a larger-than-life operatic quality to the film which is precisely what Nolan did.

Oh, and it's Two-Face not half face.

I enjoyed "Iron Man" as well--two completely different films with different approaches that compliment the material. The comparison can't even be made except both are fantasy flicks based on comic books.

20. (Maybe we finally got to him).

21. boyfromnowhere

boyfromnowhere Senior Member

I'll second this.

22. Naf Seltaeb

Naf Seltaeb New Member

Ninja 3 - The Domination. Ugh! I saw it in the theatre in the 80's. Worst movie ever

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Sometimes the editing makes it become a turkey, but most times *COUGH* Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band *COUGH* even the actors know they're in a bad situation.

23. Lord_Gastwick

Lord_Gastwick Forum Resident

The Happening has to be seen to be believed.

Moulin Rougue. Was that written expressly to cater for people with ADD? It simply doesn't trust the viewer to hold his/her gaze for anything over a quarter of a second.

24. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

I personally loathe Titanic with Kate Airbrush Winslett and Leonardo de Harpie. When they are on the prow of the ship I keep wishing the iceberg had struck then or she had fallen overboard. Sentimental tosh.

clayton likes this.
  25. Do you include "The Talented Mr. Ripley"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.