What Is This New "SHM-CD"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bresna, Sep 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. michaelO

michaelO Forum Resident

I think SHM is an acronym for SHAM.

he-he!!

Michael

2. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

Anyone heard the Jimi Hendrix SHM-CDs? Are they the crappy recent masterings?

3. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

SHM = Foo (probably ;) )

4. Yes, they are the current masterings, but I wouldn't call them crappy.

5. andrewwnbanks

andrewwnbanks New Member

SHM-CD

Instead of ridiculing it why dont you buy one and see. I had several delivered last week, including All Mod Cons by the Jam. I dont know how many times I must have heard that album but within the first few notes of The Butterfly Collector I heard notes that I had never heard before.

It is particularly fantastic in terms of base delivery, sound stage and detail. I have spent £ 50,000 putting together my hi-fi system, but this small outlay represents the most significant advance so far. God help my wallet if they start bringing many more SHM CDs out. Im waiting for the entire Led Zep collection on SHM-CD.

Awesome

6. srsch

srsch Senior Member

It's hard for me to imagine a better mastering of All Mod Cons than the MFSL (and Sound Affects too). Have you compared the two? If the new SHM is better, I must buy it. Anything else you can tell us about this would be appreciated.

7. tps

tps Forum Resident

I usually get bit-perfect rips (or so AccurateRip says) at 20X speed or better from garden-variety CDs purchased from the used bin at the store. How can SHM improve on that? IMHO, if a SHM disc sounds better, it must be the mastering, because I'm getting what's recorded onto the CD without error, even with "normal" CDs.

8. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

What I have heard so far has been a real disappointment, they seem to have used poor masters.

Simon

9. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

It's coming in September!:cheers:

10. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

:agree:

Absolutely

Simon

11. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I was at an audio store, where they had a machine set up that allowed you to compare SHM-CD's to regular CD's of the same music. I could definitely hear a difference, although it was slight; I felt that there was more detail, and the music was generally brighter. Unless this set up was a sham, it seems that a better polycarbonate layer does make a difference, although I do not have the technical expertise to tell you why.

On the other hand, the modern masterings are being used, so what in the world is the point. You can now hear a bad mastering more clearly, I guess.

If you missed the early pressings, don't worry. My guess is that the out of print titles will come out in various iterations (LP sleeve, etc.) as long as their are folks to buy em.

12. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

I know this song better than I know the back of my hand,

What did you notice that was new?

13. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

Is SHM-CD any better than regular old CD?

Last week I ordered a CD from CD-Japan and below is the description regarding the disc. I'm way behind when it comes to the silver disc so I was wondering if anyone can share their thoughts on this "format"

"The high quality SHM-CD (Super High Material CD) format features enhanced audio quality through the use of a special polycarbonate plastic. Using a process developed by JVC and Universal Music Japan discovered through the joint companies' research into LCD display manufacturing, SHM-CDs feature improved transparency on the data side of the disc, allowing for more accurate reading of CD data by the CD player laser head. SHM-CD format CDs are fully compatible with standard CD players."

14. TaterBones

TaterBones Active Member

15. Vinyl-Addict

16. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Don't expect much...you won't be disappointed!:cheers:

17. Vinyl-Addict

18. RemarkablyInsincere

RemarkablyInsincere Active Member

Do I have to travel to the moon to know it's not made of cheese?

Cracklebarrel likes this.
  19. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

Another thread on SHM CDs? HAven't we had like a million? lol

20. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

I dunno, but the Led Zep boxset looks shiny

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

They seem to deliver more detail in the mids, but if the mastering is a bad one... well, you can't polish a turd.

22. Masmusic

Masmusic Compact Discs Forever!

I have a few of these SHM-CD's in my collection. If the remaster they use is a good one you will notice some slight difference. If the remaster is poor one then the difference in sound is limited. If you like to make copies of your original to play in your vehicle like I do, then SHM-CD is not for you. Once you burn the original you loose the SHM-CD effect on your copy as the difference is in the media not the remastering. If SHM media blanks become available for sale then we can all manafacture SHM-CD's. If you want the best recorded CD's than purchase 24Kt gold pressed CD's or even better HDCD encoded CD's. I find these way better in quality

23. Vinyl-Addict

I think I would have spotted at least one of those "million" threads you mention. :sigh:

24. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

At least 1,000 threads about SHM.

25. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.