What is your favourite recorded source media?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Harvest Your Thoughts, May 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident Thread Starter

Simple question really, if you had to choose just one media you would listen to music with ever again, what would it be?

I started off with probably the obvious ones in the poll, but then added a few more which people may prefer. (Sorry, I bunched together MD/HDCC, I hope that causes no offence.)

2. Shaffer

Shaffer Active Member

No question, the LP.

Alan2 and hvbias like this.
  3. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

All things being equal (ie mastering and dynamic range) - no question in my mind....high-res digital. Throw in e-liners too and it's all good.

No way I could live without portability at this point so vinyl would be out, as would most other physical formats. And redbook, although somewhat portable, would still be a pain over digital files. I can live with e-liners over physical liner notes, if I had to.

4. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Convenience i can do without, vinyl for me.

Gasman1003 likes this.
  5. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Records and cassettes.

morinix likes this.
  6. After vinyl, I'll take the lowly cassette. Ssmith3046 has it right :)

7. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

Vinyl if I had to pick one.

My ideal is vinyl at home and cloud everywhere else :)

8. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I don't think that there's anything too lowly about a cassette that's recorded or played on a top end deck. I have a Dragon that I'll never part with.

showtaper and morinix like this.
  9. A
    A lot of our fellow forum members have criticized the little tape format. So I was being kind of self deprecating for Mr Cassette. It can't get no respect! [​IMG]

ssmith3046 likes this.
  10. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Records.

11. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Now that's a tough one... must study the summer the alternatives. Perhaps 32/384 will come close to the Real Vinyl Ding...? :)

12. Harvest Your Thoughts

I wonder why is CD above SACD.

Availability of recordings on the media should be assumed as infinite rather than restricted to what is presently available.

13. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

No vinyl here, so voted for SACD.

14. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Vinyl first, open reel second on half track second.

15. Harvest Your Thoughts

I haven't experienced it myself, but I imagine reel to reel tapes would basically be the best. Better than vinyl...

16. Defdum&blind

Defdum&blind Forum Resident

Reel to reel by far. Two track or four track it is the way to go. It's also the most fun to watch spinning!

17. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Additional on my comment about high-res digital. My assumption here is that, in this little hypothetical, all previous recordings are available in all formats to give us a fair baseline. And that they all cost the same and there's no used market, again to make things completely fair.

- LP has limited portability. That would be a complete deal breaker for me. And remember, you only get to pick one format, so no cassette dubs or needle drops.
    - SACD and DVD-A could have some portability (and let's assume that the players are licensed in cars and other smaller portable devices). So, in some ways, it could actually be more desirable than redbook CD's since DRM is not a factor as there's no way to rip redbook in this hypothetical.
    - Cassettes? No thanks. Too many issues inherent in the format - I'd take CD/SACD/DVDA over that format, all things being equal here.

But digital files, and high res in particular, would give me excellent SQ and portability and easy storage as well. And assuming all the hardware and software vendors supported one format, it would be completely ubiquitous - it would play in your car, on your iPod or Zune or Pono device or stereo or music server or PS3 or Xbox. The only con I see is a lack of liner notes, but assuming each came with e-liners that these devices supported, then it's a complete no-brainer for me.

Of course these are all hypotheticals. The reality is much different - even if I chose one format, there's always going to be some cross-talk given numerous variables like the used market and items not released in some formats.

18. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I went with cassette tape/8-track, and I stand by this decision.

19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

8 track fine for me, but it needs to be 1" 8 track at 15 IPS. Cassettes are too inconsistent and not up to speed on phase constancy or speed constancy. For continuous loop carts, give me broadcast carts on better machines and ScotchCarts. Beats toy cassettes all to heck.

20. italianprog

italianprog Forum Resident

21. Sherry Darling

Sherry Darling Lost in a lost world.

Of course live in person would be my first choice

22. ElizabethH

ElizabethH Forum Resident

Being forced to choose ONLY one.. i have to go with vinyl.
    I actually play more Cds for convenience, but love vinyl more.
    If this was the 'desert island, forever' choice (so popular) i would keep my three TTS and over 5,000 albums..
    Vs the 2,500 CDs and half dozen Cd players.

I have few SACD and could care less about that format. Ditto High Rez.
    Reel to Reel is far too exotic.. and media very expensive and rare.
    Cassettes? too low rez, never had any anyway.
    no mp3 never wanted any...
    So Records, vinyl, the licorice, wax.. for me.

(if the choice would have been two items, Lps and CDs no brainer.)

23. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Well recorded cd
    Convienient,cheap,plentifull,hifi.
    Next lossless files on a computer,easy to organise,fantastic access. RealHiFi with the best DACs.

kevinsinnott likes this.
  24. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

all this from a very simple and straight forward question.
    why do we have to add a reason? or even go into greater detail i.e tape ips, file size etc.
    Best mastered / cut Vinyl on an SME TT will match any tape of any size /ips. this is not the question though!

i have used all the above at home bar SACD (and 8 track though that i used on ships way back in the late 70's)and find vinyl suits me by far.

25. DEG

DEG Sparks ^^^

I go with SACD because the fidelity is good and I don't have to change sides. But I love lp and cassette and cd, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.