What is your favourite recorded source media?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Harvest Your Thoughts, May 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident Thread Starter

People have made the question their own in a way. Details and reasons depending on what people think.

I removed all external factors from the intention in the question but the importance of each format come through for people that way.

Convenience isn't one of mine, so vinyl is easily the best.

However if I had the original master tapes for every recording, I wouldn't complain and would get used to that very quickly.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  2. JBryan

JBryan Forum Resident

I voted R2R because its probably the best sounding format around but given the scarcity of good tapes in 15ips (or better), I'd most likely keep my records if I had to choose with HD/digital close behind because its so d@#n convenient.

3. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Some of us over-think things -- I know I sure do. :D But it's really not a simple question because in reality this would never happen to me. Each format has its pros and cons.

Love my vinyl but there is no way I could live with it being my only format. Even if it was a personal choice ie. the other formats still existed but you made a pact with yourself to only use one of them. As soon as I went to my car or to work (where I'm a floater right now with no set location) the lack of any music due to vinyl not being portable would be a complete deal-breaker.

Gordon Johnson and kevinsinnott like this.
  4. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

I voted for (gasp) CD. I fill my players with them for a buck from Goodwill. I rarely get one that's unplayable or even scratched. There's more music (including modern classical) than I can find in any other format. I know there are benefits to LP, reel to reel and possibly even cassette, but thanks to my efforts to optimize my sound for the CD format, I'm in good shape sonically.

5. I have found that almost any source can be very very good (even MP3:yikes::p ). The key, as kevinsinnott points out, is to optimize. It is largely how I design electronics. I just pick a component or set of components and keep hacking away until I get close to the edge (That should be a song:)) of what the components can do. This usually works out well and leads to, usually happy, surprises.

Robin L, kevintomb and kevinsinnott like this.
  6. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

vinyl, though I've been buying lots of CDs lately (mining the 90s music era)

7. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

CD is the only obvious choice for me as a true music lover, not a media lover as many of the choices seem to dictate.

Only CD offers most titles, and portability. I couldnt go with a format that tethers me to some dark basement room only.

All the so called "Hi-res" choices have far far too little to offer variety wise, Records, have no portability at all.

kevinsinnott likes this.
  8. dhoffa85

dhoffa85 Well-Known Member

either cd or lp, whichever format I can find what I am looking for at the lowest price. I prefer cd at this point but in some cases can only find the lp and have no problem with that.

9. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I went with SA-CD. Vinyl was a close second....

10. Thurenity

You just love the poke the bear, don't you? "True music lover"? :wantsome:

All things NOT being equal, CD has a lot to offer, I agree - 30 years of new titles plus a ton of back catalogue reissues. And a well-mastered 16/44.1k CD will certainly sound good.

But CD's can become digital files and, with a little work, so can LP's. If we stretch things out a bit to say "what's your favorite end-point media?", I'd still pick digital files / high-res as I can make a digital file from an LP fairly easily, but it's a much bigger challenge to do the reverse unless I own a pressing plant.

Loved my CD's / audio CDR's in the late 1990's. Today? Not as much. A Sansa Clip is a lot easier to carry around than a portable CD player with a few dozen CD's.

11. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

I always found that amusing, to make a master tape, put it onto vinyl, ( with all its numerous charms ) and then take the vinyl to make a digital file or CD-R.

Its like why not skip the record part entirely....:D

12. Thurenity

Don't get me started. One day that will likely be the case - maybe when I'm old and senile and the music industry finally plays catch-up and offers ALL new releases (and the majority of old ones too) on lossless 16/44.1k or better with great mastering to boot. Maybe. But for now I have to go with what I can get so I'm still dealing with vinyl drops.

kevintomb likes this.
  13. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

Vinyl.

Or vinyls as known by some.

14. cjmiller

cjmiller Forum Resident

Kevin, I’m not sure why you are making a distinction and declaring as a true music lover, CD’s are an obvious choice. Nothing wrong with CD’s but I fail to see why those who prefer other mediums are any less lovers of the music.

It’s a hypothetical question. Fortunately we are not limited to only one medium. But if I had to choose, as a music lover I would pick the medium from which I derive the greatest musical pleasure and the one I’m most invested in – vinyl.

15. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Vinyl. There are some records I have that just can't be beat. Maybe never will.

16. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

And (imo), you REALLY have to "love" music to deal with vinyl. CD's are easy...

17. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member

I went with HD digital music, but AIFF for me, please ;)

18. hogger129

hogger129 Well-Known Member

I was going to choose DVD, but it wasn't an option so I selected HD digital (FLAC, WAV).

19. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Vinyl and reel to reel.

20. dosjam

dosjam Forum Resident

That said, hi res would be my choice hands down. Reality is vinyl.

21. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

That ranks up there in the kt hall of the inane as one of the silliest things you've said.

Shaffer likes this.
  22. Archimago

Archimago Forum Resident

Hi-res digital, please. But only with good mastering :)

23. Dance Mxyzptlk

Dance Mxyzptlk Forum Resident

Well there was the Thorens Excelda. Good to have one in case we end up in a post apocalyptic world without electricity.:)
    thorcamrecord.jpg

Gasman1003 and Robin L like this.
  24. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

The LP record. For all of its disadvantages and inconsistencies, it's got the most potential.

25. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Haven't heard it yet. I'd rather play my guitar, pretty certain about the fidelity of that.

PS: voted "CD" 'cause I've never encountered any off-center CDs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.