What is your most valuable LP (according to auction results)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vinylfindco, Oct 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mad shadows

Mad shadows Forum Resident

Sonny boy Williamson - Down and out blues (checker LP 1437)
    Record and cover are excellent bordering NM. The pressing is a little noisy but try find a beter copy ...
    The record label has two variation black (Checker) or blue (Chess). The black label has sold for a 1000$, and the blue for 970$

PS: I did NOT pay that kind of money for my copy.

Cassius likes this.
  2. ramdom

ramdom Hoarder Hearing

I have a sealed copy of 'No One Cares' by Sinatra, even though its a reissue from 1962 of the 1959 original (56 years!), I wonder what it would be worth. Hard to say as there's probably not a lot of those around these days (any offers? PM me). Also a signed copy of 'The Nightfly' by Fagen, a handful of silver label Verve releases and a Dylan 'Blonde on Blonde' that would be worth a bunch if the wax didn't look like a forest floor. its not why I collect music but its fun to find out their worth.

3. ebro

ebro The Green Manalishi

My Japanese pressing of The VU & Nico with OBI, father bought it for me online for $86 plus shipping cost (forget what that was), it was supposed to be the 2007 Universal Japan pressing but it ended up being an 80's pressing :realmad: however I kept it anyway.

4. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

According to Discogs, my first pressing of Nico's The Marble Index (€170), Bernard Lubat's Vibrations vol. 2 (€118) and, for some strange reason, the 2014 Sergeant Pepper (€128) Kate Bush's 50 Words for Snow (€102). I don't understand how these last two could call for this sort of money, but there you go.

5. Gumboo

Gumboo Forum Resident

Not LPs but here's two:
    MC5 - Looking At You / Borderline - A-Square with Picture Sleeve

[​IMG]

13th Floor Elevators - French EP with picture cover.

[​IMG]

stetsonic likes this.
  6. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

Bowie's Man Of Words Man Of Music Mercury Records promo copy in truly mint condition.
    I bought that along with other Bowie promo and original pressing LPs at a thrift store for $5 a pop(which was more expensive than other LPs there but they priced them higher on account of condition.
    I knew they had value but when I looked on Ebay I was still really shocked.

Mad shadows likes this.
  7. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

George Harrison - "Somewhere In England"
    EXTREMELY Rare original, authentic U.S. Warner Bros. 12'' acetate LP.
    This has the original songs, and sequencing as George prepared. Absolutely authentic and NM. Comes with a special Warners cover, with George Harrison hand written in the title line. Only one I have ever actually seen or heard of .. It exists and this is it!
    This is most likely my rarest solo Beatle album in my collection.
    I was compelled to have this acetate, as it is the companion piece to the rare original LP cover art work George wanted.. that was also refused by Warners. The 1st printers proof of the cover is the original, and one of four/five in existence. I've had the cover slick for about thirteen years. I'm unable to discuss price as it is ridiculous... a bit embarrassing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  8. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Discogs tells me that my Piper At the Gates of Dawn Tower orange label pressing is the most expensive.

9. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

according to Discogs going by the median price mine is Marillion FEAR deluxe boxset (that is also it going by Max and min so don't know why I specified)

biggest single LP is bowie blackstar clear version.

10. Peja11

Peja11 PC is Neither

Beatles Mofi box set sealed in original shipping carton.
    Rolling Stones mint Mofi box set in original shipping carton. Opened to get postcard mailer for poster of unreleased album cover.
    The Residents "Meet the Residents" mint mono first pressing of 1000 copies.
    U.S. Beatles Blue Box.

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers all mint sealed.

Live Anthology
    She's the one.
    Wildflowers
    Echo
    Last DJ
    Highway Companion
    Kiss My Amps #1

Echoes Myron likes this.
  11. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Modern OOP titles are the worst. Rumours of the mono Pepper being repressed. I have too many now that are worth £80-£100+. My most valuable is probably a Nimbus Supercut WYWH. One or two box sets may be as much. Asking £400+ on Ebay but several that were not moving last time I looked. Don't know why KB titles are allowed to go OOP ? - Whole catalogue is due a reissue instead of piecemeal audiophile reissues over last 20 years.

12. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Another one here!
    Mine has cover VG+ and records NM.
    But in my case I can not choose which version I prefer, both are fantastic and different ... and yes, very cool to have them all!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    lemonade kid and Slick Willie like this.
  13. phish

phish Jack Your Body

Tom Petty - Wildflowers OP
    Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers Vol. 2 box set
    Phish - Lawn Boy OP
    Tool - Aenima OP
    The Genius of Miles Davis (trumpet box set)
    Plastikman - Arkives 1993-2010
    Temple Of The Dog - Temple Of The Dog OP

I have a couple hundred releases with a max Discogs sale price of over $100.

14. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

In addition to the above mentioned Rolling Stones album, another LP that can be considered maybe the most valuable in my collection is the US Velvet Underground & Nico, the original "Emerson cover" (first state), with the banana sticker on front almost untouched, and on mono version (cover VG++, vinyl VG+).
    And I have also the stereo version, without Emerson on back (third state), and with a pristine untouched banana sticker on front (cover NM, vinyl NM).

Another noteworthy is the UK Rolling Stones Beggars Banquet, mono Decca red label, which is a very early one due to the gatefold cover with on back the text "Patents Pending" (never seen another one in years of hunting!), and earliest matrix -4A B / -2A U, expecially for the very low stampers (B and U) that following the "BUCKINGHAM" logic for numbering of the stamper: side 1 of this copy was pressed by the 1st stamper; side B was pressed by the 2nd stamper (cover VG, vinyl VG+ but plays NM!!).

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    Slick Willie likes this.
  15. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

So hard to determine value of vinyl, almost as shaky as the stock market. :laugh:
    Seems two of my higher priced ones are also some fairly recent purchases.

Opened and sealed copies of Abraxas MoFi one steps.
    And another find that surprised me (asking price, so?) is Parliament's debut - Osmium
    And Classic Records Untitled (Almost Famous soundtrack) also comes to mind.

Giorgio and rubberhead like this.
  16. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Agree!
    And to me, the real value of a vinyl in your own possession can be determined ONLY after you sold it :agree:

Bigbudukks and Slick Willie like this.
  17. rubberhead

rubberhead You could pay at little as $5 per treatment*

Ain't that the truth. And then you have to factor in the cost of regret.

Bigbudukks, Slick Willie and Giorgio like this.
  18. Bigbudukks

Bigbudukks Older, but no wiser.

I wish I could click like on this twice. :D

rubberhead and Giorgio like this.
  19. Bigbudukks

Bigbudukks Older, but no wiser.

I guess at this point the sole copy of the Santana Abraxas One Step is still it. I was looking at my purchase history at Acoustic Sounds the other day and if what was on there would have gone through I would have wound up with four copies. At least I have this copy to listen to. What a sonic wonder it is and I love that album.

20. Adamski777

Adamski777 Forum Resident

Top 2 based on Discogs highest sale are Cat Stevens Tea For The Tillerman UHQR and the MFSL Nirvana Nevermind ($422 and $400 respectively). Quite shocked about Nevermind going for that kind of price.

21. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Well, you can. But needed to click a third time after that! :biglaugh:

22. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Bought a copy of this from the old hippies at Headstone Friends in Terre Haute, IN while is in college for a few bucks. Also scored a copy of Wildflowers by Tom Petty at the same store for maybe 15 or 20 bucks.
    This was probably in 2007 or 2008.

23. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I believe my 45RPM copy of A Love Supreme currently takes that honor.

24. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

May, 2016 :
    Jan. 2017 :
    Still anybody's guess :

Still using Discogs, now it's...

Rolling Stones 1964 - 1971 box - $757.74
    Tom Petty - Wildflowers - $750.00
    Abraxas One Step - $695.00

But that's only what has sold on Discogs. Popsike ? Again, auction results from eBay.

What about from a music lover's standpoint ?

I just recently bought both Mirror Ball and Ten, and I've gotten a lot of pats on the back for those scores, esp. from my son the Beneficiary :laugh:

25. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

According to Discog's highest sold:

The Who - “The Who” original 1966 (Genuine) Italian pressing (Ralph Steadman cover) - (there are many fake copies out there being sold) $1,048.22

The Who - “Sell Out” original 1968 Japan pressing - $931.75

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.