What movie sequence cliche annoys you most?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Joel1963, Apr 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

On the other hand, sometimes in life you really do manage to blow up the Death Star.

Grunge Master likes this.
  2. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

There hasn't been a Golden Girls movie, yet...

3. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Not so much anymore, but in the 1980s or so there was what I referred to as "the expendable black guy". If there was a group of people or a cop duo in danger (especially early in the film) sure as shootin' the black guy would get it. It also bugs me when the grinning, pig-ignorant 19th Century soldier turns to the Indian sympathizer and says "turned Injun, didn't ya?" And reaching sequences bug me as well. Someone is stretching to reach something, and the opening shot is their squirming fingers about four inches from the object. Cut to the actor's twisted face as he continued to reach. Next shot, all of a sudden his arm has grown four inches and the tips of the fingers brush the object, perhaps even pushing it away a bit. Back to the face (or even a shot of a bad guy other external force closing in). Back to the fingers, which are another inch closer . . . etc. I don't know about you, but I'm certainly on the edge of my seat at this point.

And I know it's not a cliché, but please! put liquid or something with some weight to it in those coffee cups! I'm tired of seeing actors holding and/or pretending to drink from a paper coffee cup when there clearly is nothing in it. Just fill it with some water, ok? (If there already isn't one, I should start a thread about stuff that Hollywood just does wrong.)

4. geralmar

geralmar Forum Resident

When I was a kid I watched a lot of old war movies on TV and always wondered how the enemy knew to silence its artillery so the protagonist's best buddy could whisper his battlefield dying speech. Then seconds after his death resume full bombardment.

5. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

Slasher movies, or any movie with an old house where the killer can walk on old floors or stairs without making a single wooden squeak.

Heck my house was build in the mid-60s and the stairs squeak and skronk with every step.

6. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I hate the cliche where a minor character (usually a henchman, mook, or other generic, expendable solider-type) is killed during a specific scenario.... but when the hero (or basically any "good guy" type) is placed in the exact same situation and theoretically should die in the exact same manner, he/she is able to somehow miraculously survive it, for no logical reason. One of the best examples of this trope is in Temple of Doom during the sacrifice scene when Willie is lowered into the lava pit. She comes within a few feet of the lava at the bottom, even though earlier when the slave was being sacrificed in the same way, he was completely aflame long before he reached the bottom of the pit. If anything, Willie should've caught on fire sooner than the slave, as she was wearing more clothing and would therefore have been much more flammable. But in typically ridiculous Hollywood tradition, she's impervious to the same laws of nature simply because she's one of the protagonists. :p

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.