What music does Gen Z listen to?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Doctor, Nov 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Doctor

The Doctor Forum Resident Thread Starter

As an older folk at 27, I have to ask:
    What are the kids listening to? The say, 15-21 year old age range; the teenyboppers? I'd like to try to remain hip....

2. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

3. DamnDirtyApe

DamnDirtyApe Forum Resident

that cracked me up

stever, DavidD, saborlord123 and 29 others like this.
  4. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

I'd imagine it's much the same as any other generation...A majority of people listen to whatever is popular, and a minority take a larger interest in music and discover different things.

stever, LilacTeardrop, Sytze and 10 others like this.
  5. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

"You've probably never heard of them"

Stencil, stever, mr. steak and 13 others like this.
  6. The Doctor

I really do feel like an old man. My 27th birthday is just around the corner. Having a "quarter-life crisis" as they call it. I look at teens and I feel ancient :(

7. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

As a 45 year old music nerd who used to play in local punk bands and is an uncle to a few Gen-Z kids... they pretty much listen to what they're told to listen to; whatever's "popular"; current hit songs, and very few to nothing outside of the box.

8. DamnDirtyApe

ha ha I look at people under 30 and feel ancient ;) But f#ck it, it is what it is.

9. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

27 year old asks a room of cynical old men what the kids are into these days. Hilarity ensues.

woodpigeon, Stencil, Dansk and 71 others like this.
  10. The Doctor

I'm quickly becoming a cynical old man myself. Over the hill, with a noose 'round my neck (aka "my boring af girlfriend")

11. DamnDirtyApe

At least no matter how old we get, we will always be "you kids" to our parents :)

Greenalishi and Kingsley Fats like this.
  12. Zealous

Zealous Active Member

Not to get technical, but as I understand it the Millennial generation birth year ended with 2004 so gen Zs will be 12 or younger right now. That said, my 13 year old listens to Bruno Mars, a bunch of different rappers whom I couldn't name, Skrillex (nevermind Skrillex. he said he doesn't like him anymore) but also likes some Bowie, Queen, Eagles but doesn't really like "rock" per se. However there are select songs he likes and plays regularly. My 10 year old on the other hand has vastly different tastes. She likes artists including Taylor Swift (1989. She doesn't seem interested in Reputation but that could change), Panic at the Disco and Imagine Dragons but also replays a number of musicals for the songs (ie Shrek lol, Hamilton, Matilda) and listens to music from LPS videos she likes. She also likes some Bowie. But neither of my kids prefer to listen to top 40 radio and when something comes on that I'm curious about they don't often know the artist (unless it's on a classic rock station. They know several of those artists because I raised them right ;)).

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    BZync and Elliottmarx like this.
  13. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

2004?! I think most put it somewhere between 1995-2000, don't they?

BZync likes this.
  14. Zealous

Zealous Active Member

klockwerk likes this.
  15. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Aaaand, Sig File Heaven opens its' arms for yet another gem!

JNTEX, CybrKhatru and ianuaditis like this.
  16. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

17. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

I'm 20 and I listen to basically whatever sounds good, bias towards 60s-90s, mostly 70s-80s prog, folk, electronic, post punk, alt rock

I'm an awful example of the average music listener of my age so... from my friends I think it's basically whoever is big on YouTube, anything hip hop except 80s hip hop, and MOR rock music from no earlier than the 1990s. I have one friend who asked me to make him an ambient playlist for a plane and he listens to some rock tracks his dad listens to, he doesn't follow any trends or movements in music, nor does he care about old music. He's the definition of background music listener.

Essentially it's dependent on the person but most people probably just listen to Spotify and never bother to hear a record in full and whatever sounds kinda cool is okay but I'm not going to care who actually played the music etc. so like everyone before the Internet era who listened to the radio but at least they bought records... I think?

18. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

oh boy... as if having our own boy bands aren't bad enough, we now have to import them :shake:

btw, this is not a knock on pop music but...definition of boy bands = 'Manufactured' n that, i just can't abide.
    i'm sure these boys worked their butts off to get here (they were gathered & groomed from prepubescent days i'm told) but...i'm sorry, it just won't do.

19. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Not good music more's the pity. Although my daughter was whistling Loving the Alien today. And picked Don't Look Down as a reggae number. I was subjecting her to Tonight. :love:

LoveYourLife likes this.
  20. Dirt Person

Dirt Person New Member

Beetoven.

21. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

He's not writing his own songs anymore...he's decomposing...

HiResGeek, JNTEX, BZync and 4 others like this.
  22. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

My kids and their friends listen to contemporary chart pop

Hot Ptah and warewolf95 like this.
  23. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

Oh, shut up. :p

24. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

well in the 15 year old range: Tyler the Creator, Vince Staples, Daniel Johnston, Elliott Smith, Lil Uzi Vert, Young Thug, Smiths, Brian Wilson

Brendan K likes this.
  25. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

My son is 15, and likes classic hard rock and heavy metal. His favorite bands are Queen, 70s Aerosmith and Iron Maiden.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.