What New Blu-ray disc have you gotten lately? (Disc 5)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Well-Known Member

Moon
    The Mask

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks...

3. schugh

schugh Well-Known Member

Midway
    The war wagon
    Two mules for sister Sara

Al Kuenster likes this.
  4. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Take The Money And Run

93curr likes this.
  5. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

6. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Ghostbusters (1984) 4K Ultra-HD

My first feature length viewing of UHD. ChadB's visit to set up my front projection display was a great success.

Anyhow, this film is among the handful of worthwhile catalog titles which are transferred from a 4K master. Truly an experience for those who enjoy the look of 35mm on a big screen.

7. ClausH

ClausH Forum Resident

I can't wait to get this one. Hopefully we'll also get Lawrence of Arabia soon.

jh901 likes this.
  8. mBen989

mBen989 Forum Resident

I bought the two Beatles jukebox movie musicals at F.Y.E. today; Julie Taymor's Across the Universe

[​IMG]

and the Sgt. Pepper movie.
    [​IMG]

9. Rachael Bee

I watched the Extended Superman last night. All the footage looks about the same. There's bits of added footage all through the movie. There's a whole lot of footage added to the ending. The whole missile and earthquake in California, near Otisburg ;) , accounts for a lot of it. It looks like they reinserted every bit of disaster footage they created for the film.

I'll watch the shorter Director's cut someday after last night's showing fades out of my memory some.

10. Rachael Bee

After The Fox

11. Michael

thanks...will get this!

12. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Peanuts: Holiday Collection 4K Ultra HD

It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (10/1966)
    It's Magic, Charlie Brown (4/1981)
    Charlie Brown's All-Stars (6/1966)

A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving (11/1973)
    The Mayflower Voyagers 10/1988)
    Play It Again, Charlie Brown (3/1971)

A Charlie Brown Christmas (12/1965)
    It's Christmastime Again, Charlie Brown (11/1992)
    It's Flashbeagle, Charlie Brown (4/1984)

These are the real deal 4K scans. Will check one out soon. Seems the Peanuts folks went all in on Ultra HD!

13. Michael

Face Off

14. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Forum Resident

15. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Anyone on the fence? I checked out this special which first aired in 1966. Holy cow. I definitely underestimated 10 bit color, to say the least!

16. MYKE

MYKE Offended By The Easily Offended

Barry Lyndon ( Criterion )
    City Of Industry
    Misery

17. Rachael Bee

Serenity UHD-BD
    The Babe

18. MYKE

Dolores Claiborne pre ordered

19. Michael

20. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

....and....

Apollo 13 4K/UHD

21. will_b_free

will_b_free Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Seriously considering the Target-exclusive BluRay of Stranger Things.

While it is nice that Netflix has released the first season of this acclaimed series on BluRay, there are zero extras - absolutely nothing but the episodes. I especially miss commentary tracks. I have Netflix, so I've already seen the show. If there had been even one commentary track I would not be hesitating to buy it. Same dilemma people faced with Jessica Jones (zero extras).

The Target exclusive edition is made to look like a beaten-up VHS cassette case. Some people are thrilled by it, but it doesn't distract me from the lack of any extras.

The price is sensible - only $25. They're hoping to bring in new fans with a low price point. They could have charged $40 and it still would have sold well, so, I'm glad that they opted for a lower price.

Another reason to hesitate is that it is not yet known if there will be a 4K+BluRay set later on. With shows like Westworld being released in 4K+BluRay sets, the expectation that shows produced in 4K might be released in 4K has been set. It is also not yet known if there will be a more typical BluRay release (in a regular BluRay case) once Target's exclusivity ends. People who lack ample shelf space may prefer to wait for that possibility.

22. Tyler Chastain

Tyler Chastain Well-Known Member

Purchased one of these for myself and for my brother in law, haven't received them in the mail yet. The lack of extras is a bummer but the novelty and the price point were worth it.

I also just got the new GKIDS rerelease of the Blurays for Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away. No more dubtitles! I do remember my Disney copies looked great as they were. Without directly comparing them, I would say that there is a bit more grain present on the GKIDS, as well as slightly softer colors (at least for Mononoke). This could totally be my imagination.

Great releases though. Definitely gonna pick up the rest of them over time. Hoping this isn't any kind of limited run

23. MYKE

Brawl In Cell Block 99 pre ordered
    The Philadelphia Story pre ordered

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017 at 1:55 PM
  24. Rachael Bee

The Accountant & Prometheus on UHD-BD
    A Fish Called Wanda (Arrow)

25. Michael

Christmas Horror Story...