What new DVD release are you looking forward to?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Beatlelennon65, Mar 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member Thread Starter

Let's see, there is the Futurama Season One box set, The Beatles Anthology, Superfriends, Dave Matthews...
    I am sure there are several others to go along with those.
    How many of you are planning on getting the all new Stupendous Ultimate-I am not kidding this time super Platinum cold cast cold brewed 24 carat anamorphic Special Edition Directors Cut Extreme Edition of T2? New transfer and some kind of James Cameron commentary. I am not a big Cameron fan, and commentaries arent really my bag, but if the transfer is good, I might pick this up, even though Artisan is a bunch of double dipping bastards.

2. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

BEATLES ANTHOLOGY

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I'm looking forward to "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" on April 1st, "Ran" -Masterworks Edition (It's available as part of a box set, but the individual release is on April 15th), and a whole slew of Disney/Buena Vista releases over the next couple of months:

Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Vista Series) (March 25)
    Spirited Away (April 15)
    Castle in the Sky (April 15)
    Kiki's Delivery Service (April 15)
    Treasure Planet (April 29)
    Treasure Island (April 29)
    20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (May 20)

Regards,

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Beatles Anthology
    Dead Of Night
    Mr. Bean Complete
    There's Something About Mary-2 DVD's
    The Devil And Daniel Webster-Criterion Announced...

5. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Simpsons Season 3

6. The Cellar

The Cellar New Member

I try to wait for at least a few weeks after a title is released before getting it, to give myself time to find out if there are any problems with a particular release and, if there are, assess how much I still want it. That's the theoretical game plan, anyway; there are always discs that I have to have as soon as they come out. I made an exception for Peter Gabriel: Secret World Live and got burned.

I won't be able to resist snatching up the following as soon as they come out:

Beatles Anthology (or any major Beatles DVD, for that matter)
    The Kids Are Alright
    Any film I like that Criterion puts out; the one I currently want most is By Brakhage

7. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Nice news on The Devil and Daniel Webster.

Coming up I'm excited about:

Miller's Crossing and Barton Fink in May.
    Short Cuts
    Heaven Knows Mr. Allison

8. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Beatles Anthology and Let It Be, George Harrison Tribute Concert-
    Kind of obvious. Anything Beatles (or at least good quality authorized Beatles) gets the automatic nod.

Ed Wood-
    I don't know what happened to this one, it was pencilled in for last year, specs, features and extras apparently done and ready to go, and then suddenly it was pulled from the schedule, and so far has not been rescheduled. I've heard that it did get an overseas release, but I'm not entirely sure that's accurate. I've been waiting for that one since I bought my first DVD player, and I'm on my second now.

If I'm going to buy any of those The Simpsons box sets, Season 3 would be the one.

Anything Marx Brothers. New upgraded and deluxe editions of the Paramount films would be welcome, and the MGM's, RKO and the ones WB owns have yet to make their DVD debut (you'd think at least A Night At The Opera and/or A Day At The Races would have made it out by now.)

And I'm still waiting patiently for a DVD release of the Classic Warner Brothers cartoons. I'd heard rumors that this'd be the year, but nothing official has come so far. The closest you can get is Chuck Jones: Extremes and In-Betweens, which features two complete cartoons (no frog though, unfortunately).

9. Beatlelennon65

Reechie- Which Marx Brothers movies are out on dvd? What is the best one?

I think The Simpsons Season 3 will be out when hell freezes over.

10. Ken_McAlinden

I'm not Reechie, but Image released DVDs of (in my order of preference - favorite at the top):

Duck Soup
    Animal Crackers
    Horse Feathers
    Monkey Business
    The Cocoanuts

They are all out of print, currently due to the deal between Image and Universal expiring.

Regards,

11. reechie

reechie Senior Member

My money would go with Duck Soup first, but all of the Paramounts are among the best films they ever made (as useless as most people think Zeppo was, they seemed to actually lose something when he left the team). It's a crime that they aren't currently available on DVD, and I'm glad I was able to get copies before they were pulled (and became big bucks eBay fodder).

I'll pretty much back up Ken's list, except I'd flip-flop Animal Crackers and Horse Feathers positions.

Not to get political, but Duck Soup actually strikes quite a few chords, given current events. I'd encourage you to find at least a rental copy, even if it's only VHS. Probably my favorite film of all time.

12. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Funny you should mention Duck Soup, Rich. With what's going on nowadays, I can't get the "We're Going To War" song from that film out of my head! Zeppo rules!

13. Matt

Matt New Member

Homicide Season One, coming May 27.

Also Seinfeld Seasons Three-Five, their peak years

14. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I doubt Star Trek Voyager will ever make it to DVD, but I sure liked that show. Too bad nobody else did. :(

15. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

My sister liked it; something about Chakotay and Janeway and all that sorta thing. Just never got into it.

Since the DS9 series is going to be released throughout the year, no reason to think VOYAGER won't be next. They have enough seasons in the can to milk the DVD cash cow; no reason to believe they won't.

ED:cool:

16. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member

Throne Of Blood
    Straw Dogs (Both from Criterion)
    I'm still waiting for a decent release of Akira Kurosawa's "Ran" as well.

17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Just love those Marx Brothers! Sam Goody/Suncoast/Media Play had them all available a few years ago for $6.99 each! I should've stocked up...Of course I didn't! We can only hope for the rest...

18. Matt

Matt New Member

I would love a complete set of the original Tick cartoons on Fox, as well as any unaired episodes, if any.

19. Beatlelennon65

Arent the Marx Brothers movies public domain? Are any of the off brand dvds any good? I may be wrong, but I thought one of those cheap dvd companies put out a few of their movies for like 5 bucks each.

20. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Nope. All copyrights on their films were renewed in the 60's. Universal owns the Paramounts, MGM naturally owns the MGM's, Ted Turner owns RKO's Room Service, and the last VHS copy I bought of A Night In Casablanca was released by Warner Brothers. Not sure who's got Love Happy, but no one's really clamoring for that one.

Artisan/Republic has apparently released Copacabana, Groucho's best known solo film, but I've yet to locate a copy, and WinStar released the documentary The Unknown Marx Brothers a few years ago, but I think even that one's gone out of print .

Well, if you can find them, I'd sure like to hear about it. The closest thing to a public domain Marx DVD is a disc of Groucho's You Bet Your Life episodes (actually, they're later Best Of Groucho prints), put out on the "TV Favorites" label. They're about average quality, well worth the under ten bux they usually go for.

21. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

I pre-ordered the "Everly Brothers Reunion Concert" and received it a month or so ago. Was really looking forward to it but was disapointed as it's a truncated version like all of the CD reissues. :(

22. Ken_McAlinden

Warner Brothers now owns the MGM and RKO libraries from that era and would be responsible for future releases.

In other words, they made all of their major films for Paramount, MGM, and RKO, so naturally, they will be released by Universal and Warner Brothers. I suspect that the Marx Brothers would have been able to develop a great routine around this.

Regards,

23. reechie

reechie Senior Member

The party of the first part... ;)

24. Ken_McAlinden

I would not count it out. It may not have the following of some of the other series, but it probably still has enough of a devoted following to be a money maker on DVD.

Regards,

25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

In regard to "Star Trek: Voyager", I'd be very surprised if it didn't hit DVD in 2004. Think about it: all the seasons of "Next Generation" came out in 2002, and they're putting out all the seasons of "DS9" in 2003. It'd seem strange if they didn't follow that with "Voyager" in 2004. From what I can tell, these boxed sets have sold pretty well, so I'm sure Paramount wants to keep the cash cow milking...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.