What opening act killed the main band at a concert you went to. *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by shokhead, Jun 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave Mac

Dave Mac Retired Sophisticated Gentleman Of Leisure

Read on, McDuff. You haven't got to the good parts yet.

2. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

Guns N Roses opening for the Cult at the Long Beach Arena in 1987. GNR wouldn't stop playing so they had to cut the power.

theshape likes this.
  3. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

The Wildhearts (just before Mondo Akimbo A-Go-Go was released), supporting Gun...they absolutely killed it; the best support band I've ever seen and in my top 10 gigs ever.

Watched the first two songs of Gun's set, bought a VHS video of 'Nothing Changes but the Shoes' (the only VHS I still own) and went home happy!

art likes this.
  4. old school

old school Senior Member

Are you referring to the Hollywood Palladium show of West Bruce & Laing in November 1972 which Mott was on the undercard? West Bruce & Laing killed Mott in my opinion.

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, I dunno. If it was at UMD, I'm still leaning Ritchie just because that venue hosted so many bands that "fit" with Nick Lowe...

6. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Bob Mould (solo) opening for the Pixies at the Boulder Theater in 89.

7. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Los Olvidados, whoever they played under. Social Distortion for one, and I'm talking in '82 and '83. They destroyed everyone that played above them on a bill.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  8. hypockets

hypockets Forum Resident

Late 70's- Heatwave opened for Rufus feat. Chaka Khan. Heatwave was energetic and engaged the audience. Rufus, even with Chaka, was fairly bland.

9. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Green Day absolutely destroyed Blink 182 when they toured together. This was just prior to their regaining headliner status with American Idiot.

10. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

Any band opening for Blink 182 destroyed them. Blink 182 is the worse live band I have ever seen.

mrz80 likes this.
  11. mretrain

mretrain Forum Resident

Tom Petty opening for Nils Lofgren in Brighton, May 1977 is the one that really stands out

I did see Queen opening for Mott The Hoople in 1973, but Mott were better; ditto Dire Straits for Talking Heads in 1978

My wife dines out on seeing the Sex Pistols support Joe Strummer's 101'ers in early 1976...

art and mdm08033 like this.
  12. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

Uriah heep opened up for KISS.......KISS didn't belong in the same universe as Heep back then...but then, who says the music business is fair?

13. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

Two worst bands I ever saw? Kid Rock,,,,,,and TOOL....not together, different shows, but oh my god, it's amazing what people will throw down their hard earned money, to go see.

art likes this.
  14. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

Elvis Costello acoustic opening for Bob Dylan in 2009-ish? Concert was $50 and I consider that $1 per minute that EC played - during Dylan's set I just sat with my head in hands - not one of Bob's best shows.

15. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

My best friend's mother attended one of these shows as a pre-teen/teenager and talks about how the parents of the adolescent Monkees fans were horrified by Jimi's antics. Phallic gestures with the guitar neck and smashing his instruments - they were apparently not prepared.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  16. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

Georgia Satellites opening for REO in 1987.
    REO was not bad, actually very good. But the Satellites...my rear end was sore, they kicked it so hard. I would not have wanted to follow that band onstage.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  17. Stormrider77

Stormrider77 Forum Resident

Hate to pile on the Black Sabbath thrashing but I thought Rival Sons wiped the floor with Sabbath on this recent retirement run. Sabbath had the same staid, predictable setlist and just didn't have the energy I wanted. The Sons felt like a vital, up and coming hungry rock band and they stole the show for me at the Garden.

Finch Platte likes this.
  18. Dark Mavis

Dark Mavis Local Congressman

In 2001 I watched Candiria completely upstage the reformed Soul (Bad) Brains. H.R. was having a fit at the monitors or something of the sort, and the beginning of their set was plagued by constant starts and stops until my friends and I just left.

19. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

Two Seattle shows immediately come to mind.

1. Stevie Ray Vaughan opening for The Moody Blues in the 80's. The Moody Blues put on a big show - massive visual effects - lots of spectacle. Stevie's lone visual effect was a single spotlight on the bottle of Miller Beer on his amp. Guess who was more memorable?

2. Young Fresh Fellows opening for the Replacements. Now this one is weirder. The Young Fresh Fellows did their normal tight set. The Replacements came out beyond drunk - couldn't remember their songs and kept asking for requests. It barely qualified as a show - it was more like watching a slow motion train wreck.

That wasn't the end of the story though. A few months later, the exact same double bill. Me, curious to see what would happen, bought tickets. YFF came out and played.. off. Disjointed and weird. At the end of the set, their bass player said "Yes our lead singer has no eyebrows" - and he didn't.

Apparently it was a weird bet with the Replacements, because they came out, sans eyebrows, wearing garage mechanics overalls, and proceeded to tear the roof off the joint.

So I got to see both Replacements extremes - the bad and the good. :)

Cheers,
    Paul

P.S. Slim Dunlap-era Replacements, BTW. Around the time of Pleased To Meet Me.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  20. jujuhounds

jujuhounds Forum Resident

Local H opening for Helmet

Alice Cooper opening for Mötley Crüe on December 31, 2015. By the very last Crüe show of the tour you could tell none of them save for possibly Mick gave a **** about being on that stage, and it showed.

Mötley Crüe opening for KISS.

theshape and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

Sunny Day Real Estate opening for Velocity Girl right before Diary came out.

BeauZooka likes this.
  22. ocotes

ocotes Forum Resident

Rob Halford playing before Iron Maiden January 2001
    Even his encore was a ballad (Beyond the realms of death).

23. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

huh?

Northwind likes this.
  24. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Early version of Lick My Love Pump.

25. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

Great show, lucky man

tvstrategies likes this.
Thread Status: