What powercords do you use? Stock, middle budget aftermarket, best you can afford?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ElizabethH, Sep 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. missan

missan Forum Resident

The power cord is in series with all other wires, including the power transformer. If one should do something it isn´t about the power cord, it´s about the transformer., and also the power caps. As I´ve said previously; if the power cord stays cool, just forget about it, it´s not limiting anything.

2. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

It is quite possible the placebo effect is working strong on some of these things. If you pay say $9000.00 for a 3 ft electrical cord that you could have paid $5.00 for, it's quite possible that you will discern an improvement, even if one is not actually there. Not saying this explains this whole industry of audiophile cords but believe it is definitely part of it.

Agitater, cjg2, H8SLKC and 6 others like this.
  3. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

My turntable, preamp, tuner, and amp all have permanently-attached power cords, and my DAC uses a wall-wart. The only IEC in my whole system is the CD transport, and I've got something generic on it.

4. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

All my powercords are stock.

BuddhaBob likes this.
  5. Mikeybc

Mikeybc Listener

Back in the late 90's a friend and I tried a Tara Labs RSC Prime on a Bryston 3B power amp . We were both skeptical but then were surprised when we both heard the same difference. It was small and if we had both waited a while between swaps we might have missed it.

Today I do use a couple Cardas Quadlink 5c power cords that I picked up used for a very good price. Do they sound better ? I didn't bother taking the time to A/B them and had not listened for almost a week before changing them....but they look and feel very nice and I'm one of those people who appreciate nice quality things.

6. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Stock for everything except my low budget Pangea headphone amp. For whatever reason, probably one too many bourbons, I ordered a Pangea power chord with it. Sounds alright.

7. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

Me too!

rebellovw likes this.
  8. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

All my power cords cost 10 times more than the components they are attached to...

:D

Robert C and Walter Koehler like this.
  9. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

Well said!

VinylSoul likes this.
  10. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

IMHO you're on the right track.

Dr. Mudd likes this.
  11. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

I've had components that have come with obviously better made power cords than what you'd typically find with most gear. So I'm not so sure that it isn't on the radar of at least a few of the higher end component makers. But, in general, I think it's as simple as what Erik surmised:

Can't disagree with that. You are right, I cannot prove that I hear a major improvement with my PS Audio cable. Even though to me the difference was significant. So no one should just take my word for it. And no one is being forced to purchase anything. If someone is interested but skeptical then they are best served finding a dealer who will lend them a cord or two to try out in their own system. Don't hear a difference? No problem, it's a free trial. Or failing that, one can buy used and then sell for the same price that they bought the cord at.

WHitese, formu_la and Juan Matus like this.
  12. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

I wish more people on this forum responded this sensibly and maturely to differing points of view and opinions. To see a response like this is quite refreshing so just wanted to call it out. I like your style.

I don't believe in spending extra money on power cords and things like that just because of my nature. It makes me very happy to avoid extra costs like this in all honesty and put my resources into other things. But after reading your post again and actually thinking about it I am truly happy for you and it's nice to see you get enjoyment out of the product you mentioned.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  13. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The fat cables are the gold pit for the premium manufactures.

14. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

I found this thread when searching the forum to see if anyone had mentioned a similar issue to that which I had/have;

I recently purchased a Parasound P5 stereo pre-amp, for use right now with an AT turntable to listen to via the headphone socket. Previously the TT was plugged into the phono inputs on my integrated AV amp/receiver. I live in the UK and the Parasound is US and came with a US 2 pronged power cable.

I set everything up and used a US->UK plug adapter for the P5, and used some newly purchased "better" (ie a lot more expensive) rca interconnects between the TT and P5.

When I turned it on there was a very noticable humming at normal listening levels, plus with the new interconnects a regular "ticking" every couple of seconds. After a lot of troubleshooting with minimal effect I thought I would try a UK power lead, and that fixed it, apart from a very slight hum, and hissing, at max volume.

As interesting, possibly, for this thread is that the UK power lead I used was the one for my turntable, I needed another so found an unused one among my computer equipment. When I plugged that in it was a lot better than the US cord, but noticeably worse than the power cord for the turntable - more hum.

I am not sure what is going on here, initial thoughts were that US audio cords, for high end equipment, are designed for US power outlets, and therefore not tested or optimised (in terms of shielding) for the UKs supply. Also that computer kettle leads do not need to be shielded so are not (in most cases). It also seems to prove that for more sensitive phono use, this can and does introduce significant interference.

On the back of all this I have just ordered a £36 power cord and am hoping that the above thoughts are correct and it eliminates all hum.

15. Buddy>Elvis

Buddy>Elvis Senior Member

Whatever came in the box.

Wngnt90 likes this.
  16. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

Stock. Sometimes I use an extra heavy duty extension cord engineered for use with window mounted air conditioners. That ought to move enough juice. Remember, the wiring in your house is "stock" and may have several point to point connections depending on how many outlets are between your gear and the fuse panel.

Wngnt90 likes this.
  17. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

That's really the next frontier isn't it? Why would you upgrade all of the cables in your system, knowing that the power delivery from the grid and the wiring in your own house cannot possibly be as good as the gear you have paid so dearly for? Shouldn't consideration be given to working on the power delivery from outside in? I'm talking installation of special equipment on power lines, transformers, within your junction box, etc. Surely the wiring in your house is crap contractor special, junk, and probably installed incorrectly. Romex? Junk! Don't forget too all of that radio spectrum buzzing around you, including the strong WiFi signals cranking all around your house. What to do!? What to do?!

basie-fan, LarryP, The FRiNgE and 2 others like this.
  18. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Mo0g, Why are you making this so complicate? I checked the Parasound Halo P5 back panel. It is labeled ~AC 100-240V 50/60 Hz. It has a standard 3 prong IEC plug socket on its back panel Thus, all you need to do is get a power cord with a standard IEC 3 prong plug on one end and a proper British wall socket plug on the other end. Throw away you plug converter which is probably the cause of your HUM! Some very slight hum and hissing a max volume is not unusual. I have no idea what is causing the ticking, but let's fix the loud hum first. With respect to power cord shielding, shielding is shielding, it is not country specific. I hope the new power cord you ordered fits the description I just posted. Let us know if it works.

19. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

I made the post primarily because I had never seen any reference to using 2 prong power leads which come with US equipment, with an adaptor, as causing any issue, never mind THAT much. My comment about power shielding relates to the possibility US cords have less shielding than UK ones, as they are plugged into 120v mains supplies, not 240v.

Regarding the UK plugs, that's what I intend to use, but my additional comment offers anecdotal "proof" that not all (UK) power cords are created equal. One UK 3 prong kettle plug generated more hum than another. And of course, the new plug is a UK one! :)

20. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

The ticking you describe is in my experience often caused by an internet router, mobile phone or the like. For example, if I have my Airport Express too close to my preamp I can hear pulses through it. Move it away and it's gone.

21. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

It couldnt be the internet router or mobile phone. There is a landline cordless base station nearby, and also a lan over power plug. Never needed to get that far into troubleshooting as those ticks disappeared as soon as I used a UK power cord, but useful to know for future reference as when I eventually get my listening room, it will also have internet somehow.

22. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

Methinks snake oil....of course I could be wrong:)

"Isotek System Enhancer CD Every audio system will benefit from use of this unique audio burn-in and demagnetising disc. The Isotek System Enhancer CD contains tones of every frequency and magnitude to fully exercise and demagnetise all of the components within the audio chain, and ideally should be used each month for a few hours to ensure your hifi is working at it's optimum potential. Isotek System Enhancer CD will bring your music closer to reality each time you use it, as your hifi system is magnetically 'reset' by it's unique tones."

POE_UK likes this.
  23. POE_UK

POE_UK Forum Resident

Power cords? is this for real?

basie-fan and Robert C like this.
  24. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

Around here anything goes...

POE_UK likes this.
  25. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Don't be a dink.