What should Sony do with The Interview?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rachael Bee, Dec 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

And oh, how that worked out!

But you are correct: You did not say "bomb". Apologies - my mistake - this how "arguments" progress and I am sorry for stating that..

Jeff

2. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

The Pirate Bay would be appropriate

3. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Plus, they don't want any more embarrassing leaks coming out. The North Koreans don't just want the movie to not play in theaters, they don't want it to come out at all. So I assume more stuff would be leaked if the movie appeared in home video formats.... Though I don't know if there is anything left to leak? I think it's pretty obvious Sony just wants the whole thing to go away and cancelling the movie is the fastest way to make that happen.

Is "cyberterrorist-coerced release cancellation" something studios have insurance for?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  4. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

It's been shut down.

norman_frappe likes this.
  5. Captain Groovy

There are clauses about acts of terrorism in their bond agreements.

Jeff

6. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

Demonoid then...

7. But alternatives are legion.

norman_frappe likes this.
  8. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Insurance can exclude acts-of-war, but I think one of the issues after 9/11 was that insurance policies had often excluded acts-of-war, but not excluded terrorism specifically. An insurance underwriter would have to explain how policies are written these days around terrorism.

Even if terrorism is covered in a policy, it's probably defined to require it at least be labeled "terrorism" by the federal government, so there is a clear line between what acts are and are not covered. So far, the US government has not called this terrorism.

9. Captain Groovy

I didn't say Sony was covered... I said it is mentioned in the bond agreement.

However, them recouping their production costs back is the LEAST of their worries... it's not about making money back on this particular film right now...

Jeff

10. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, I don't know if anyone has said this but I hate being scared or concerned over things I can't control, and Sony has clearly lost control. When I get in this situation, I usually just confront it head on and get it over with. I don't know if this is a naive statement, but I say release the movie and provoke them to get all the crap out that they have on Sony. Get the pain over with now, once and for all. Sony is already playing damage control. They should just get it all out there now and then its over. And to the point of showing the film, lets be honest. If a theater were blown up many of us would be pissed at Sony for releasing it after it was warned. On the other hand, we have been warned. Anyone going to see it would really be tempting fate. I doubt many would go. I don't know....if you really play it out I think they release the film, the hoods release the info, and the rest of us stay home Christmas day and watch it play out. I think they will justify and release all the info anyway, so just get it over with!

Captain Groovy likes this.
  11. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Sony Pictures is a different company than the companies that own the movie theaters. Even if Sony went ahead with releasing the movie, it was the largest theater chains that decided not to run the movie. Sony pulled the movie because it had no place to show the movie; it lost control to the theater chains. For the theater chains, they have no dog in this fight: they'll just run another movie in place of the Interview.

Jrr and zobalob like this.
  12. narkspud

narkspud Forum Resident

No one has censored anyone. Sony owns the film. They can hide it in the vault if they so choose.

Whether that was a bad decision or not is another argument. But no one is censoring anyone. Are you saying you're in favor of FORCING someone to release a movie as long as it adheres to your own personal thoughts etc.?

13. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Sony is censoring the movie. Of course they're entitled to do so, as it is their property. I'm just talking about some of the general gist I seem to be getting from some people here, such as something like 'Oh, Seth Rogan movies are stupid, so I'm okay with them pulling this movie. It should have never been made because it is offensive to another country'. Obviously I'm being simplistic in my example but that's just what I feel like I've observed.

No, I'm not in favor of anyone forcing anyone to do anything. I'm a libertarian, so I'm all about leaving people alone and people leaving me alone.

14. Roger Meadows

Roger Meadows Active Member

'All this talk over The Interview is great for a lively debate but I want to see Eli Roth's Green Inferno. It was suppose to be released last August. North Korea is not protesting the film's release nether is any cannibal tribe in South America. So why won't they release the m-----f------g movie?!?

"BY THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL.... I HAVE THE POWER!!!!!!"

15. The North Koreans are doing fine without your help, but feel free to give them some comfort -after all this is the USA where I can read an opinion like yours, which I disagree almost completely, and yet not try to destroy your financial security or put your friends in fear for their lives.

heatherly, SBurke and Dudley Morris like this.
  16. narkspud

narkspud Forum Resident

I'd respond this way: This is a hell of a movie to make a stand for American freedom on.

Sony greenlit and financed a movie that it turns out they weren't willing to stand behind when the fertilizer hit the rotary blades. And I can't say I blame them for not putting themselves at risk over it. But I do blame them for making crappy movies.

17. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

Did I just get accused of providing comfort to the enemy? Well my post has more likes than your post... So there!:pineapple:

Welcome to 21st century discourse.

smilin ed likes this.
  18. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

We do all realize that the movie that should've been made is about two marginally talented stoners who pitch Hollywood the idea to do a slapstick comedy about the assassination of a real life dictator and because the two have "heat" the film gets green lighted only to nearly touch off World War III. It's Dr. Strangelove meets The Player. I'm starting this tonight.

19. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I just chatted with Netflix to tell them that if they agree to distribute the movie, I'll restart my membership. I copied the response from "Bob":

"So I may guess that you love "The interview" hahaha.We have had a lot of requests this year about this feature and we are glad to announce we are already working on upgrading the Kids experience. Actually, now that you are here do you happen to have any other content/feature suggestion for us? The good thing is that we really implement what you guys suggest! :)"

When I asked if he was in the US, I got no response. Then he told me the movie was released December 11th and referred me to IMDB. So apparently everyone is up and arms about nothing. The movie came out December 11th, and all is well.

heatherly likes this.
  20. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

If Apple can give everybody on planet Earth a U2 album Sony can do the same with The Interview. Automatically give it away to every online device on Christmas Day. What could possibly go wrong?

21. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I would assume Sony has to be working on some plan to get the film out in some form or another, for fear that a copy will leak somehow eventually from some source somewhere. Could they really keep this from ever being seen even if they wanted to? If not, then presumably Sony would rather put it out in some form and make at least some cash off of it to recoup a little bit of what they lost.

Rogen and Franco would perhaps have some sort of rough cut copies or something at the very least that they would or could knowingly or unknowingly end up leaking.

In this era, I don't think it's like a "The Day the Clown Cried" situation where maybe one or two people have old videotape copies of the film and nothing else is out there other than the negative locked away somewhere.

One would think, if the "hackers" were really trying to keep the film from *ever* being seen (apart from those on the crew who have obviously already seen it; not sure if test audiences saw it), they would realize that their own hack would prove that any number of films could be hacked/leaked, etc.

I'm surprised Sony didn't put the blame on the theater chains ("We wanted to put it out, but once many major chains pulled their support, we had to cancel/postpone and re-assess).

The idea of actors and other industry people refusing to work for Sony is interesting. Not sure how practical that idea is. But very interesting.

22. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

Correct - Has to be certified by the Secretary of Treasury as a terrorist act. There would be no coverage even if certified as a terrorist act because there is no covered cause of loss to property. There was no fire or collapse etc to 4000+ movie theaters or Sony's master hardrive containing the only copy of the film. IMO...

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Actually, there were theaters that were willing to show the movie. Just not many of them.

And that's exactly what Sony says happened:

http://deadline.com/2014/12/sony-president-obama-the-interview-response-1201330799/

I think they are very rattled that even The President has criticized their actions.

Keim likes this.
  24. Don't we have good hackers. Upload it now or better yet break into Fox News and network and show it there uncut.

heatherly likes this.
  25. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

We have much better computer science guys than a North Korea. When payback happens, it will be epic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.