What should Sony do with The Interview?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rachael Bee, Dec 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Licence it exclusively to airlines and only show it on international flights. What could possibly go wrong?

2. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Maybe Sony can also be forced to give me back the two grand I paid for one of its SACD players just before it abandoned the format.

3. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

??? Most people suspect some of this work was done by a combination of NK hackers and hackers for hire from other places so it's immaterial what their hackers are like compared to theirs if they are willing to pay for the best wherever they are found in the world.

4. They should just release it to theaters willing to take it on.

Captain Groovy and Michael like this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

just send an email with your demand signed by.....

6. Michael

it would be quite interesting to see who picks it up!

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Make sure Kim Jong Un knows about it and maybe he can force Sony to revive SACD. They seem to be taking orders from him these days...

[​IMG]

Hell, bring back Betamax, too, while you're at it. (You always have to throw in one crazy demand. I mean, SACD... really! Who would buy that?)

8. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca Thread Starter

I think that Sony should have a few million copies prepared for the North Korean market with little parachutes on 'em and then find an air force willing to drop them.... ;)

heatherly, Geoff and jsayers like this.
  9. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

[​IMG]

(h/t to Boing Boing)

heatherly, Quark1134, reapers and 6 others like this.
  10. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca Thread Starter

Dave....that must be from, say, White House Down...? ;)

Pete Puma and Dave Garrett like this.
  11. Michael

or they can hack into their TV programming and run the movie!

12. Michael

Genie Rodman must have granted him a wish...

13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

In news just to hand:

"The Russian president, Vladimir Putin, has invited the North Korean leader, Kim Jong-un, to Moscow next year to mark the 70th anniversary of the Soviet defeat of Nazi Germany in the second world war, the Kremlin’s spokesman said on Friday"

The real reason for the visit is of course to exchange hacking tips! :D

14. dunkrag

dunkrag Forum Resident

15. Michael

that's hysterical, but it looks like a bad photoshop!

16. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I think the Hollywood should flood North Korea with Adam Sandler movies to nullify all intelligent life. It worked in Europe and the US

heatherly and Rachael Bee like this.
  17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Now what have you been smoking? Seth Rogan --- fighting a blow for freedom. Yeah, right. More like fighting for free blow.

I think people are overlooking a big fact here. Sony = Japan Japan = N. Korean foe. Japan is the country N. Korea likes to sail their rusty missiles over to freak 'em out. I wonder if this movie had been made by another studio if this would have happened?

18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Aren't the North Korean people suffering enough as it is?!

heatherly and smilin ed like this.
  19. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

My opinion is not political or religious here,but the natural course of human nature.They should broadcast the darn film continuously during prime time in every country,stream it all over the internet,along with theater showings.Just saturate the entire world with The Interview 24 hours 7 days a week!:evil:That is just punishment for whomever hacked into Sony!Unlimited expousure on a scale so large regardless of any repercusions threatened by anybody.(no accusations here of course!)but it`s an offense to the entire planet,not one nation.
    People flocked to see Batman in the theaters,sent their children to schools,flew on airplanes after 9/11,drank during prohibition,and smoked against the surgeon general`s warnings because that`s just how humans are,resilient to the point of being flawed against our own good too much to be controlled in any way shape or form.We will not be told what movies will not be seen,for better or worse,that`s not how our brains are wired.
    If you`ll excuse me I`m going to go fry up some bacon for breakfast!:wave:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    Grant likes this.
  20. Yeah I agree with you, I think the studios should only make and release movies that I think are good and that the Glorious Leader of North Korea approves of.:sigh:

21. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

I haven't read thru the whole thread but as a Seth Rogan fan, I want to see it. Sony should wait a bit then release it. But I do agree with our President's view on it.

heatherly and Pete Puma like this.
  22. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

"Ex-Anonymous hacker questions North Korea's role in Sony hack

The United States is close to publicly blaming North Korea for the Sony cyberbreach. Could North Korea really pull off something like this when it can barely keep the lights on? A former American hacker who also attacked Sony is raising doubts, CBS News' Elaine Quijano reports.

Working under the code name Sabu, Hector Monsegur was responsible for some of the most notorious hacks ever committed. As he told "CBS This Morning" co-host Charlie Rose earlier this month, Monsegur began cooperating with the FBI after getting caught. He now works as a security researcher.

"For something like this to happen, it had to happen over a long period of time. You cannot just exfiltrate one terabyte or 100 terabytes of data in a matter of weeks," Monsegur said. "It's not possible. It would have taken months, maybe even years, to exfiltrate something like 100 terabytes of data without anyone noticing."

Administration officials believe North Korea was behind the hack.

"It could be. In my personal opinion, it's not," Monsegur said. "Look at the bandwidth going into North Korea. I mean, the pipelines, the pipes going in, handling data, they only have one major ISP across their entire nation. That kind of information flowing at one time would have shut down North Korean Internet completely."

Monsegur is confident they don't have the infrastructure to carry out this kind of attack.

"They don't have the technical capabilities," he said. "They do have state-sponsored hackers very similar to China, very similar to Russia and very similar to our good old USA."

However, former CIA deputy director Mike Morell said Thursday on "CBS This Morning" that North Korea has "significant cyber capabilities."

"They use them quite frequently against South Korea," Morell said. "For a backward state that might be a little surprising but they also have a nuclear weapon. So they're capable of achieving things when they focus on them."

Monsegur said there's also a chance the hack could have originated from China.

"I mean, it's possible," he said. "It might be a North Korean inside China."

Some of the investigators point to malware written in Korean, but Monsegur said that doesn't necessarily mean the hackers are Korean.

"Well, it doesn't tell me much. I've seen Russian hackers pretending to be Indian. I've seen Ukrainian hackers pretending to be Peruvian.There's hackers that pretend they're little girls. They do this for misinformation, disinformation, covering their tracks," he said. "Do you really think a bunch of nerds from North Korea are going to fly to New York and start blowing up movie theaters? No. It's not realistic. It's not about 'The interview.' It's about money. It's a professional job."

Monsegur thinks it's also possible this was an inside job, that an employee or consultant downloaded all the information from Sony's servers and then sold it to someone else."

Source:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/sony-ha...ker-not-convinced-north-korea-is-responsible/

heatherly, narkspud and Nightswimmer like this.
  23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'm still not totally convinced either. As per the article, it is known that the attack happened over a long period of time, well before it was publicized. It is known that the actual hacking code was quite messy and slipshod (if effective). It is highly likely that someone on the inside (of Sony) was involved in facilitating the exploit. The movie wasn't ever mentioned in the early stages of correspondence between the hackers and Sony. The broken English used in the demands seems like an amateurish attempt to point the finger at a non-English native speaker (ie, NK).

Attributing cyber attacks to specific sources is notoriously difficult. For sophisticated attacks it tales many months and years to trace the source with any accuracy, all of which means that blame attirbutiion with absolute certainty is still a ways off.

Solaris likes this.
  24. Django

Django Forum Resident

I'm sure they will go back on their decision and release the film. The whole thing just reeks of publicity stunt.

Atmospheric likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.