What should Sony do with The Interview?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rachael Bee, Dec 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

Kim Jong Un is his buddy...there's nothing they'd work out...;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

So what this boils down to is a number of theater chains pulling out of rentals and not wanting to deal with it.

And now Sony caved rather than just letting the movie go into general release and be shown by chains that have a backbone.

Disappointing on all fronts.

The whole thing reminded me of ten years ago when Dutch Filmmaker Theo van Gogh was murdered by a deranged Islamofascist for making a ten minute film about the plight of Islamic women.

The bottom line is – this sets a terrible precedent.

McLover, Echo, Dudley Morris and 10 others like this.
  3. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Political correctness trumps all in today's society.

4. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I agree. This is an awful precedent and pathetic all around. I hate the theater chains for being illogical ninnies about this and I hate Sony for now not putting the movie out in any format.

Bowing to non-existent threats - America, f **k yeah!

heatherly, keef00, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  5. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca Thread Starter

There's only 6 major chains and none are willing.

6. Sorry, I missed the razor wit or anything indicating it was intended as a sarcastic statement.

7. amoergosum

Kim Jong Un is actually loving The Interview >>>

[​IMG]

8. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Well, he does have more hair than me... a few more pounds too...

9. amoergosum

10. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Laurel & Hardy

Martin & Lewis

Matthau & Lemmon

Belushi & Ackroyd

Rogen & Franco

11. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

Just saw on CNN: US under German pressure to destroy all copies of and issue formal apology for Hogan's Heros.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  12. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Send Rodman to Guantanamo Bay. They've got a LOT of questions for him...

Jeff

13. Captain Groovy

Forget the big chains - IMO, and these are snap-decisions Sony and they had to make and NONE of us have the full info on why Sony officially pulled it (though there are tons of logical reasons).

I would have still allowed any theater to carry the picture. Any arthouse theater would be PROUD to hire security and PLAY THE FILM.

A complete missed opportunity there - support your local indie cinema? Well, I know several proud (and financially hurting) single theater houses that would have LOVED to play the film.

Bijou Art Cinema in Eugene, OR? They would have TAKEN IT GLADLY. And they need it...

Just to jump in with some reason - Sony also doesn't have the legal right per contracts with unions, actors, producers, etc. to "just release it for free". They'd need to clear it with everyone - and fast - to relinquish their rights to back-end in the event Sony releases the film for free. I bet every single actor, union, and Producer would sign that release IMMEDIATELY if/had this been presented...

Jeff

Aftermath likes this.
  14. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Again, I think there's more to this story than what is being covered or come to light so far. So I'm not passing judgement on anyone for a decision to show to not show the movie. Bear in mind, it's not like theaters are completely stand alones, so entire multiplexes would be vulnerable. The fundamental issue is how the U.S. will respond. I'm sure the Taliban, ISIS and AQ won't be nominating "American Sniper" for 'Film of the Year" either, so we may be at the very beginning of a very confusing and conflicted period.

heatherly likes this.
  15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Keep on Knocking in the Free World"? :D

16. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I agree. In fact, if it wasn't playing in Canada I'd travel to Buffalo just to see it. I'd bet it would become a "freedom statement" and make lots and lots of money!

Oh well. Maybe one day....

agentalbert and Captain Groovy like this.
  17. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

:laugh:

Or maybe it has something to do with Da Rulez! :D

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  18. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

I was actually going to see this, admittedly not on Christmas Day due to family obligations but during the holiday period.

In regard to those who are commenting on the quality (or lack thereof) in regard to the film in question, this is a freedom of expression issue.

Frank Zappa was questioned by the PMRC and the media why he was bothering to defend the rights of W.A.S.P. and the like considering that many of the artists under scrutiny were not exactly critical darlings.

Frank said something to the effect of, they're coming for them now and if I do nothing they're coming for me later. He also mentioned that perceived artistic merit can change over time and that we all might be crazy now and the groups in question might be the as-of-yet unrecognized next Mozarts.

Sorry for paraphrasing but I can't seem to find video and/or transcripts of the interview in question.

19. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Hows about offering the film on VOD? They'd make a buttload of money & no fear of people's homes being bombed...

Michael likes this.
  20. Captain Groovy

"They" would still consider it an official release and hence whatever the "Christmas Gift" threat was, it would be out... that's why no access at all at this time...

It wasn't just about showing it in theaters. "They" claim they don't want it seen. Period.

Jeff

Michael likes this.
  21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Crazy ain't it?

Captain Groovy likes this.
  22. Michael

I thought that was a strong possibility,. I read it somewhere.

23. Michael

just what this thread needed a good LAUGH! that is hysterical!

amoergosum and jeffrey walsh like this.
  24. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

I watched the assassination linked from post 95. It's crude and disgusting and I'm happy SONY pulled it. Maybe they pulled it for the wrong reason i e. criminal activity, but still I'm happy that it is gone, bottom line.

25. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.