What songs could've been hits?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NothingBrightAboutIt, Feb 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Big Star - "The Ballad Of El Goodo". (Sure, a lot of people know this song, but it should have been a huge hit! I'm sure the title of the song didn't help it's cause)

2. Chris C

Semisonic - "Chemistry". (This one missed being a hit for GOD knows what reasons. Pure power pop brilliance, in my opinion and of course, it doesn't hurt that my wife is a lab technician, whose job centers around chemistry!)

3. Chris C

Jellyfish - "Baby's Coming Back" (Just like Semisonic's "Chemistry" above, this one failed as a hit single. In no thanks to the horrible promotional department backing that their record label "Charisma" gave the record!)

4. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

The Moody Blues, "Lovely to See You." Never issued as a single (to my knowledge). Instead, they issued "Never Comes the Day," which barely charted, followed by "Watching and Waiting," which didn't chart at all. I think they kept issuing ballads in an attempt to duplicate the success of "Nights in White Satin."

pablo fanques and Thomas D like this.
  5. Kulbot

Kulbot Forum Resident

Shoes - "Too Late"

I always thought this song should've been a smash hit. A perfect pop song, in my opinion. Moody, great melodies and hooks. I guess it'll always remain a regional power pop footnote...

6. Chris C

Jay & The Americans - "Dawning" (Possibly one of the all-time greatest flip-sides, that sadly few actually flipped to)

Blue Plate Special likes this.
  7. Catch22

Catch22 Forum Resident

The Stompers ~ "Never Tell An Angel" cracked the top 100 - but I always thought it should have been a big hit. Pure ear candy. One listen and you'll have the hook in your head all day long.

It was a bit of a regional hit and was in regular rotation on Boston radio.

8. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

Aerosmith - "Heart's Done Time"

9. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

"Oh My Angel" - Bertha Tillman, 1962.
    last fm dot com provides the following:
    Bertha Louise Tillman was a 1960s pop singer, born 28 June 1942 in Texas. She died in San Diego, Ca., on 31 May 1993, aged 50. Her best known tune is Oh My Angel, the first of two 45s released by her on Bob Shad's New York-based Brent label. The other, I Wish, was released as Bertha Tillman & The Killers.

Bertha Tillman was working as a shop assistant in San Diego when she was discovered by Hank Blackman of J.J. Jackson and The Jackals. The group provided the background vocals for her evocative rendition of 'Oh My Angel', a song written by the lead singer of The Jackals, June Jackson. Starting the second week in March, the record (Brent 7029) got a lot of airplay in Seattle (as well as various cities in California) and went to #4 on the KAYO (Seattle-Tacoma, 1150 AM) survey for the week of 30 April 1962. Billboard does not appear to have noticed the record when it was released, but it entered the Hot 100 at #95 on the week of 5 May, and reached #61 on the week of 9 June. Inexplicably, the record did not make the Billboard R&B charts, and received little airplay in the East. After cutting one more record for Brent, Tillman went back to San Diego; she died in May of 1993.

Never mind "could've", this song "should've"!

Remy, gotblues, Dougd and 1 other person like this.
  10. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

Ramones - "Swallow My Pride" -- This one was released as a single, but stood absolutely no chance of charting in 1977....

11. Blue Plate Special

Blue Plate Special Well-Known Member

"Pen of a Poet" by Chuck Woolery. Honestly...a very good record. Hard to find, tho'

12. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I still sometimes get surprised that all of The Zombies singles between "Tell Her No" and Odessey and Oracle flopped (and Odessey and Oracle for that matter).

This is one of my favorites. It even failed when released with the 2nd half faded out.

"She's Coming Home" is another.

RickH, jimmydean and Brian Kelly like this.
  13. JRD

JRD Forum Resident

Rolling Stones:

Under my thumb
    Under the boardwalk

magicbeanbuyer likes this.
  14. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

I wish The Beatles released "Revolution 9" as a single. I wonder how high it would have climbed in the avant garde hippie era of the the swinging 60s. :)

geo50000 likes this.
  15. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

McCartney's Café on the Left Bank. Paul has rocks in his head.

music4life likes this.
  16. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

I heard someone say once that if AWBH renamed Long Lost Brother of Mine to Long Lost Lover of Mine it could've been a hit. I'm inclined to agree, it's a very poppy song while still having some complexities.

17. Thermionic Dude

Thermionic Dude Forum Resident

Flamin' Groovies "Shake Some Action". Has all the ingredients to be a "hit", and is about as good as Power Pop gets, but never broke beyond "cult" status.

18. Chris C

That was just great, thanks for sharing or I may have never heard it!

19. Chris C

Here is a rare "single" cover of "Lovely To See You", that was released around the same time as The Moody Blues, by a small band from Wisconsin, trying to have a hit with the song!

20. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Redd Kross !

Channeling vintage Cheap Trick

Kulbot and Our Andall like this.
  21. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

In the U.S., the Kinks had only three minor hits between "Sunny Afternoon" (1966) and "Lola" (1970). "Waterloo Sunset," though acknowledged as a classic single today, didn't chart at all on either the Billboard or Cash Box top 100 singles charts.

The American Federation of Musicians banned them from coming to the States to perform for four years, so their lack of hits in this period resulted from that out-of-sight, out-of-mind phenomenon. The union finally lifted the ban in 1969.

22. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

"Out There" by Blake Babies would've been a (ahem) mammoth hit in a perfect world.

23. joefont

joefont Senior Member

You Must Be One Of Us by one of the great forgotten groups, the Sal Valentino-led Stoneground.

chacha likes this.
  24. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Blood Sweat & Tears - Sometimes in Winter was my favorite song they ever did.

Should have been a massive hit.

25. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident

Journey "If He Should Break Your Heart" (form 1996 "Trial By Fire").

John Adam likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.