What songs could've been hits?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NothingBrightAboutIt, Feb 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moonchild

Moonchild Forum Resident

Genesis - "That's Me" (1969). The band was invisible at the time but I think Peter Gabriel's
    song is really catchy and meaningful

John54 and Our Andall like this.
  2. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

I agree with several of those mentioned (Shake Some Action being my top pick)

I think of a lot of songs that were local hits, but didn't break out big nationally:

"Ridin In My Car" (NRBQ)-this was a local hit in Western Mass/Connecticut, but did not chart nationally

"This Is Love" (Oak)-this was a huge local hit in Maine, but stalled short of the top 40 nationally. Their later "King Of The Hill" did make the top 40, but it isn't anywhere near as good as "This Is Love".

"It's Cold Outside" (The Choir)-one of the biggest hits ever in Cleveland, but it charted short of the top 40 nationally. I think one reason was that by the time that got it on to a major label it was 1967 and the early Beatles sound of this song was a little behind the times.

"Psycho", "Strychine", and "The Witch" (The Sonics)-they were huge in the Pacific Northwest, but didn't break out nationally. I've often referred to the Sonics as "the missing link between Little Richard and punk rock".

trumpet sounds and devildavid like this.
  3. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: One of the ultimate examples of a B-side that should have been the A-side:

Our Andall likes this.
  4. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Such a great, great song and that horn arrangement is out of this world! You will clearly enjoy this rarity from 1971 ...

5. Chris C

I know that it's a stretch, but imagine if you will, this song blasting out of a Top 40 AM radio station in the late '60's ...

6. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Not really a stretch; it did hit #34 in Billboard. Although I can't remember hearing it on any of the Bay Area stations.

pablo fanques and Chris C like this.
  7. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

In a thread like this- which is subjective to personal taste- eventually every song ever recorded could appear here.

This has been already done to death here and other, less thoughtful music forums I imagine.

andrewskyDE and John Adam like this.
  8. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Buffalo Springfield - On The Way Home
    A big California hit, but stiffed out at #82 nationally.

trumpet sounds, e.s. and John54 like this.
  9. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

I actually did hear that on our local AM hits station in, I'm going to say, 1970. I remember it very well -- a Saturday afternoon, I'm 9 years old, in the car with mom....
    Funny, I don't remember a lot of family stuff, but pop culture moments -- total recall!!

Chris C likes this.
  10. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

I've always thought the same thing and posted this before on other threads. It's pop ear-candy!

11. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

I'll Feel a Whole Lot Better - Byrds, was the b-side to All I Really Want To Do.

hugh . g. and Jimmy B. like this.
  12. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Piano Lessons by Porcupine Tree

13. John Adam

I'm sure many things here have been done to death, but lots of threads are closed for comments. For those that came later to the forum, and some of us slightly younger members, it's nice to be able to post comments. It gets tiring hitting "like" on a closed thread and not being able to add your 2 cents when you are passionate about a subject, song or artist. :) For me now this is new.........

Pizza, gotblues, RickH and 1 other person like this.
  14. Spruce

Spruce Forum Resident

I would have thought the obvious answer was all of their stuff sounds pretty much the same. Not a dig, just my personal opinion.

Galaga King and geo50000 like this.
  15. John Adam

One of the last great songs by the team of Farrar/Newton-John from 1992. Should of been a single, should of been a hit, but alas it wasn't her time anymore and she had more serious issues to deal with like staying alive..........

Jrr likes this.
  16. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Some David Bowie ones:

The Man Who Sold the World
    Queen Bitch
    Ziggy Stardust
    Suffragette City
    Velvet Goldmine
    Panic in Detroit

From 1974 onwards they got it about right.

pablo fanques, e.s. and andrewskyDE like this.
  17. zen

zen Senior Member

I was surprised to find out the Grass Roots 1968 single, "Melody for You" stalled at #123 on the Billboard charts.

John54, John Adam and c-eling like this.
  18. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

A favorite 'should of been'
    Shiny Toy Guns-I Owe You a Love Song, 2008

John Adam likes this.
  19. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Atlantic issued two singles off of Yes's Drama. The first was an edit of "Into the Lens," the second was a remix of "Run Through the Light." I believe both sank without a trace.

I think that "Tempus Fugit" might have done better. That's the Drama track that keeps showing up on compilations. "Does It Really Happen" was a B-side to one of the singles; I wonder if it would have fared better as an A-side. Those two songs appear, to me, to be the most commercial tracks on the album.

pablo fanques, Chazzbo13 and c-eling like this.
  20. c-eling

Lovers Electric-Dangerous Game, 2015
    Sucks, this didn't even get a physical release.

John Adam likes this.
  21. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

'Home Tonight' by Aerosmith

22. sean monaghan

sean monaghan Forum Resident

Heart - I Want You So Bad
    Styx - Nothing Ever Goes as Planned
    Journey - The Party's Over (Hopelessly In Love), Stone in Love
    The Cars - Touch and Go, Double Life, Everything You Say, It's All I Can Do, It's Not the Night
    The Hooters - All You Zombies, Satellite
    Don Henley - New York Minute

23. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

Why Sir Paul didn't skip My Brave Face and instead put out Fly Me to My Home instead is a complete mystery to me!

Blue Cactus likes this.
  24. c-eling

Jael-Shuffle The Cards, 2015
    Hmm, I'm starting to see a trend here with my posts. General current top 40 does not want 'melancholy' :laugh:

John Adam likes this.
  25. Chris C

Isn't that funny just what our memory cares to remember from our youth? That had to be a real thrill to hear "Tapioca Tundra" on the radio back then!

mrbobdobalina likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.