SH Spotlight What sounds just like the analog master tape: CD, Vinyl, SACD or a 1:1 analog Reel tape copy?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 30, 2007.

1. head_unit

head_unit Forum Resident

We heard exactly this, comparing a Magnavox CDB-650 to a Phase Linear CD player, listening to the explosion tail at the end of Don Dorsey's "Ascent" [Telarc, Erich Kunzel & Cincinnati Pops Orchestra, Time Warp].
    There also used to be a test disc, can't remember whose, which imposed a very tiny (LSB?) tone on top of a high-level, very low frequency tone, like 0.1 Hz. The idea was you could listen to the high frequency tone as the low frequency pushed it through the whole range of DC offsets in the converter to see how linear it was.

2. head_unit

head_unit Forum Resident

I'm curious Steve and others with the equipment, how does the sampling rate and bit depth affect this?
    And if someone could post the same music samples (doesn't have to be reverb) from the SAME original* at different resolutions, that could be VERY cool!!!

I'm not aware of any demo discs like this, aside from one DVD that Alpine made where the SAME EXACT MASTER from 96/24 was downsampled to 48/24 and the 44/16 IIRC. Hmm, except the DVD wouldn't be carrying 44.1 so either it was a DVD which I doubt or maybe it was 48/16?

*as a counter-example, I don't consider CD vs. DSD layers on a hybrid disc to be a valid comparison, since I've read how levels sometimes differ and maybe the masterings are not the same.

3. head_unit

head_unit Forum Resident

Yes, so I used to make noise floor FFT measurements with a 22 kHz at 1 LSB (Denon Hi-Fi check CD, though I think it was actually another disc I used). That kept the converters from detecting all zeros and muting, in other words not letting them CHEAT!
    That was some very effective marketing to beat up on competitors, if I may pat myself on the back! :pineapple:

4. omnisonic

omnisonic Forum Resident

Nothing wrong with steam boilers...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Raunchnroll likes this.
  5. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

I’m a bit confused why you think that DSD would still be better than a more modern PCM A/D. Given that at the time you said the CD had the right tonality but lacked resolution, wouldn’t hi-res PCM have the right tone and the resolution? Therefore wouldn’t it at least equal DSD?

6. omnisonic

omnisonic Forum Resident

Sorry, this is a little off topic of your latest post, but I just read your original thread and it made think of a question that I've always been curious about.
    I'm a huge fan of your Doors S/T DCC releases.

Which do you think sounds more identical to the master tape; the cd or the vinyl?

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your Host Your Host Thread Starter

Neither. The master tape sounds like crap.

4011021, Yosi, M2225 and 1 other person like this.
  8. marcb

marcb Forum Resident

You apparently missed the update posted by Steve...:rolleyes:

9. wes

wes Forum Resident

And vinyl records have the RIAA pre emphasis and then de-emphasis on playback..
    A mountain of EQ happens twice before it hits your speakers.......

That's why CD's were perfect from the beginning..:targettiphat:

bhazen likes this.
  10. vai777999

vai777999 Member

I have a 32.8P-224 111A7 +++++ copy that is exactly like the first Japanese press. All levels match up.

princesskiki likes this.
  11. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

'Perfect' isn't accurate. At all.