What sports telecasts are still on your want list?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by James Slattery, Apr 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident Thread Starter

NBC did a horrible job on saving World Series games, which pretty much is in line with the job they did on everything else. Only bits and pieces of games from 1973 exist, except for Game one, which is the only one fully intact. The only chance the end of that game 2 will be found is if an early home collector turns up a copy.

2. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I find it a bit surprising that the 1973 NL playoffs and World Series were not recorded or kept, given that the Mets were involved. With all the television and film in New York, you'd think someone would have recorded a few of the games and kept them.

3. Alert

Alert Forum Resident

Going through old NFL games on YouTube I found an interesting edit of a New Giants / Dallas Cowboys game from 1970. It starts with the NFL Films game recap but at 29 minutes goes into the actual videotape broadcast. The actual game tape goes on for twenty minutes before it switches back to the NFL Films recap for the rest of the game. After that the actual broadcast videotape resumes from shortly after the beginning of the third quarter and runs for 22 minutes.

While watching the NFL Films version of the game, it was pretty surprising to see it abruptly switch to the actual broadcast of the game!

4. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Can anyone recommend any websites that can help acquire old broadcasts of NCAA football? For example, if there were a game from 1996 that I'd to see, who can help locate it? This is assuming that it's not already on YouTube.

5. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Which brings up the classic joke about this game:

Q. What did Wilt's teammates say to him during the 100 point game?
    A. Hey, I'm open!

kevywevy likes this.
  6. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

George Foreman v. Ron Lyle - the You Tube footage is terrible. Two sluggers trying to jump start their careers. This fight was Rock em Sock em Roberts with people.

7. James Slattery

Most of what's on youtube is terrible. I've had a good copy for years off the ABC master.

8. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

I think the reason it was called a "Collector's Edition" was because the Reds won the Series overall, and that Series win is considered one of the great moments in baseball history, and worth owning on DVD, per A&E's marketing.

9. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

Gotta love spill chick.
    :)

cdash99 likes this.
  10. P(orF)

P(orF) Forum Resident

1968 World Series Game 7 - Detroit Tigers Mickey Lolich on two days rest against the St. Louis Cardinals Bob Gibson at his peak. I was sixteen and had been following the Tigers closely since 1961. It was a great season (the very odd Denny McLain became the first pitcher in 34 years to win 30 games. It’s never been done since. For the Series, the Tiger manager moved his center fielder to shortstop, the Tigers fell behind 3-1, and we moved to Germany in September and were not able to see any of the series.)

The Tigers won when Curt Flood misplayed a fly ball and Lolich pitched scoreless ball into the ninth, only giving up a late, meaningless solo homer.

ellaguru likes this.
  11. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Thanks Siri.

halfjapanese likes this.
  12. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Game 7 of the 1962 World Series.

13. sthornt1

sthornt1 Forum Resident

I am a 1968 Detroit Tiger fan too and I would love to see video from any regular season game dating from that year. Especially high up on my list would be McLain's 30th victory from 9/14/68 against the Oakland A's, which was televised nationally (and widely promoted) as an NBC game of the week. Despite this, the full game footage seemingly no longer exist, only highlights from the 9th inning Tiger rally. No kinescope, no secondary video feed, no Armed Forces broadcast, no nuthin'. Oh well, that's how it was done back in those days.

Pelvis Ressley likes this.
  14. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

All seven 1968 WS telecasts are available as kinescopes made by the CBC. Black and white, and the picture quality isn't the best, but they're there.

Here's Game 7:

P(orF) likes this.
  15. P(orF)

P(orF) Forum Resident

Thank you. Greatly appreciated!

16. Muhammad Ali fights from the 60's with real sound. I haven't looked lately but it seems that all the early Ali fights on YouTube are from a tv show that replaced the real sound with a fake announcer and fake crowd noise.

17. James Slattery

NBC (which stands for No Broadcaster Cheaper) saved nothing of their decades of GOW telecasts. They didn't save LCS either. The only reason that the 1968 World Series exists at all is that Canada saved black and white kinescopes. I've never seen a second of color tape from that series.

The game I'd love to get would be a Monday Night Game from Detroit from 1973 with George C. Scott in the booth. The game wasn't on in NY, back when they used to black out in the home market but I was able to watch in on channel 30 from Hartford, which was coming in that night. I remember in the bottom of the 10th, Sparky Lyle was pitching and the Tigers, who had so many great hitters, pinch hit for lefties Jim Northrup and Norm Cash with Al Kaline, who singled and Frank Howard, who homered.Edit

Another one I'd love to have, which ABC didn't save, was another Yankees-Tigers game with another great Mark Fidrych performance. This one was from 1977. Maybe saved somewhere as Betamax was around at that point.

18. sthornt1

sthornt1 Forum Resident

<< The game I'd love to get would be a Monday Night Game from Detroit from 1973 with George C. Scott in the booth. >>

I remember that game! As I recall, Scott was quite the Tiger fan and he nearly lost it when Hondo hit his home run.

Back on topic, I would also love to see any full game footage from the '67 World Series between the Cardinals and the Red Sox. Apparently, NBC wiped those tapes as well.

19. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

What I really love are the audiocasts of MNF featuring Jack Buck and Hank Stram; seems like the only stuff I can find on YouTube are of the Super Bowls they did together.

guy incognito likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.