What the heck was wrong with girls in 1964?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Gupton, Jul 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I don't get it either. Young girls are like that now too. There was a One Direction concert on Showtime a few weeks back and I caught the last few songs. At the end the girls were all weeping and hugging each other like they'd gone through some religious experience/intense trauma. Has there ever been a female act that has caused a similar reaction in young males?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  2. You can't underestimate the impact of John Kennedy's assassination.
    I wasn't alive yet, but I always thought that was the case.
    That JFK's death begat Beatlemania.

zebop likes this.
  3. Harold R

Harold R Forum Resident

You couldn't have picked a subject that I know less about than this.

4. teag

teag Forum Resident

That's the mainstream's evaluation for the history books - something you read about.

There is no way JFK's death influenced all those girls - they were much too young.

John Bonham likes this.
  5. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I went to see Duran Duran right after Rio was released. My ears are still trying to recover from the screams especially when Nick was up on the screen that would switch between all the members of the band.

6. Fair enough, as I said, I wasn't there.
    Reflecting back on it, the JFK theory obviously speaks to my own biases as a U.S. History major.

Maybe the hysteria was just due to the Beatles being so effing awesome :)

zebop and teag like this.
  7. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Is it better to be married to jerry lee Lewis, or just knocked up by jerry lee Lewis?

8. s m @

s m @ Forum Resident

Teenybopper behaviour hasn't changed much in 50 years, Beatlemaniacs of yore would be today's Beliebers. Whatever anyone thinks of the Beatles' music, it's undeniable their fanbase was.... to put it delicately they were a huge teenybopper fad.

9. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Girls scream when I play King Crimson albums.

10. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

In Horror !!!!!!

11. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I'm not sure how many 12 year olds in Britain were that broken up about the demise of JFK.

12. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

If they were in Amsterdam and saw the banana act, then maybe yes.

daveidmarx likes this.
  13. Bobbo

Bobbo Well-Known Member

At first glance, I thought this thread was about the hairstyles (atrocious.) and the clothes (uhhhgleee!) that girls were wearing then.
    Did any of them have access to a mirror?:magoo:

nbakid2000 likes this.
  14. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

those girls were about 12 years old and dressed and groomed solely by their parents.

15. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Or maybe he aimed a little higher...

[​IMG]

16. Trixie Jones

Trixie Jones Raining in my heart

Walk on to the campus of any middle/junior high school. There's a level of energy that's indescribable. Then separate out all the girls and focus their attention on something fun and exciting. The energy goes to a whole new level.

docwebb likes this.
  17. Bobbo

Bobbo Well-Known Member

The Shaggs?
    Nahh, seriously. Deborah Harry or Suzi Quattro.

18. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    “When The Beatles returned to America in August, 1965, for their second tour and played
    the Sullivan show again, I got one of my favorites. Walking the aisles, one audience
    member caught my eye: an older man sitting with his fingers plugged in his ears to mute
    the high-pitched squeals. As I moved in for this terrific shot, I got a closer look and realized
    I was photographing the legendary composer and conductor Leonard Bernstein.”

– Ken Regan
    I'm thinking of what Pete Townsend said about this topic, when they used to open for The Beatles, in his autobiography Who Am I.

Yosi, Binni and Eric B. like this.
  19. jimbags

jimbags Forum Resident

Very weird, I mean Ringo?

20. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

It's called puberty. You remember? Hormones, emotions out of control. It affects boys as well, only different.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  21. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

In 1964, my mom was 14, went to see Hard Day's Night. All her friends were screaming - all the girls were - through the whole picture.

She stood up and told them to shut up - they weren't here so let's see and hear the movie!

She became a lifelong Macca fan and made sure to educate me on "who that guy was" singing with Michael Jackson in that video and song I loved when I was 8, "Say Say Say".

She was also at Woodstock few years on, so she was into music very early.

Jeff

zebop likes this.
  22. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I've been to over 500 live shows in my life, and the loudest noise I've ever heard at a concert was in Tokyo Dome in 2001 - The Backstreet Boys, 55,000 girls and a few forlorn parents. When they took stage it was this incredible high pitched scream, like a jumbo jet taking off.

23. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

The first official concert I ever went to was when I was probably 10 and got drug along to see David Cassidy with my mom and 13 y/o sister. I remember asking my mom why they were all crying, LOL! So they were just as crazy in the 70's.

Eric B. likes this.
  24. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

At age of 10 I was visiting relatives in a small Ohio town (Marietta) and went to a matinee to see a science fiction movie. They played the trailer for Elvis "Loving You" and the girls in the audience went totally wild, shrieking uncontrollably. And this was a reaction in a small town to only a movie trailer. I wish I could say that I decided to pick up a guitar after experiencing that so I could have girls go crazy over me but I ignored not only that but watching the Beatles on Sullivan. Sigh.

25. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Of course, male forum members 'answers' to questions posed about what makes a female tick is presumptively suspect. They would have to move away from the computer and cease discussion about whose favorite band or mastering is better. Ain't gonna happen.

daveidmarx likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.