What Theatrical Cuts do you prefer over Director's/Extended Edition Cuts

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by tlake6659, Aug 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member Thread Starter

I will start with one "Apocalypse Now".

2. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member Thread Starter

A couple more:

Donnie Darko
    Alien
    Dances with Wolves
    Exorcist

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I like the theatrical cut of Terminator 2 better than the extended version. Overall, I think I like Aliens better in its theatrical cut, too. I really like the scene where Ripley finds out about her child, but the rest of the additions I can live without.

Regards,

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Agreed.

5. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I'll agree with 'Donnie Darko.'

'Apocalypse Now'; the extra scenes I don't mind so much (well, most of 'em, anyway), but I hate that they added credits. I just loved that the original was creditless.

wow. so one's mentioned 'Star Wars' yet?

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I mostly agree with this, though the shots on LV-426 before the Marines land are the only ones I don't like. I prefer it that we don't know what's happened until THEY know what's happened - Cameron should have left Newt's family on the cutting room floor.

I also agree with "Apocalypse Now", "Donnie Darko" and "Exorcist", though I think technically, the alternate cut of the last one was the writer's idea.

I'll add "Pretty Woman" since I just watched it! Don't like the additions for the longer cut - too bad it's the only one you can get on DVD. :thumbsdn:

7. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

? Do you mean at the end of the film?

8. Squealy

The only extended version that I've ever thought improved the film was "Almost Famous." (not counting movies where the theatrical cut was botched, e.g. "Once Upon a Time in America")

9. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

I prefer the original theatrical cut of Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

The same with Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. Unfortunately the theatrical version without the rescue plan scene, discussion of Klingon tear ducts, and the "Scooby Doo" ending does not exist on home video.

Okay, and I'll mention the three original Star Wars films.

10. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

"The Exorcist". Other than the scene where Linda Blair spider walks down the stairs backwards, the rest of the extra footage should have been left out. Especially the ending. That footage they tacked on at the end with Lt. Kinderman and Father Dyer ruined it IMO. I also don't like the way they remixed the films' soundtrack for the re-release. I mean come on, one of the Oscars this film won was for Best Sound!!

11. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Pretty much all of them. Scenes were cut for a reason.

12. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I like the most recent cut of Star Trek:TMP the best. I think it works better than the half-hearted extended cut that preceded it on video. Same goes for Close Encounters of the Third Kind, although my purist heart wishes the original cuts of both were widely available on home video.

Regards,

13. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I'll agree with APOCALYPSE NOW, the REDUX version of which includes an interminable episode in an abandoned French compound that never seems to end. I'll add BLADE RUNNER, which I preferred with the studio-mandated film noir voiceover and relatively unambiguous ending.

While I usually agree with the studio suits concerning Theatrical vs. Director's Cut, I would welcome an extended version of the Jim Carrey children's film, LEMONY SNICKET'S SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS. The deleted scenes included in the DVD extras would have fleshed out some curiously sketchy bits of plot and character: Olaf's theatrical troupe rehearsing in his dilapidated estate; the children at the snake researcher's home; the theatrical production that climaxes the film interspersed with asides from critic Dustin Hoffman; the seduction of Meryl Streep's widow by Jim Carrey's sailor man . . . Because we don't see these things happen, some of the scenes don't really make sense.

14. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

The theatrical cut of 'Back To The Future, Part III' that I saw has yet to make it's way to home video. THAT'S the cut that I prefer. Three scenes were cut on home video and only ONE made it to the box set as a deleted scene. That's the scene where Mad Dog Tannen shoots Marshal Strickland. THAT was IN the theatrical cut that I saw along with two other scenes.

The first missing scene that has yet to see the light of day outside of the theatrical cut takes place right after Marty bonks Tannen on the head with the stove door after the 'shootout'. Right after that, and a running gag through all three films, a little kid steps forward and says,...

Kid: Hey Mister! Where did you learn that?

Marty: In the movies.

Kid: What's a movie?

Marty: You'll find out.

Kid's Mother: D.W. Griffith! You get back here!!

I suspect political correctness here.

The other missing scene takes place in the saloon when Doc is telling stories to Dub Taylor, Harry Carey Jr. and Pat Buttram after Clara dumps him. It's more of a missing line than a scene. One of them looks at the others and says that the Doc is 'telling more stories than that Twain fella that came through town'.

I see no reason why these would have been cut out of the film when it came to video. I've only ever seen this in the theatrical...the REAL theatrical cut.

Also, there's a brief line in 'Jurassic Park' that was cut for some reason and never made it to video. After everyone lands in the park and they are being driven in the jeep (right before they see the first dinosaur), Laura Dern reaches out of the moving jeep and grabs a leaf from one of the plants and says, 'This shouldn't be here'.

I can't for the life of me figure out why THAT has never made it to home video.

15. Squealy

I'm kind of mixed about the Lord of the Rings extended cuts; in all three I feel that some of the scenes are nice additions that should have been in the film in the first place, and some just make the film longer.

16. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

I totally agree with that about the extended cut. I do like the DE, but there are some things about the original cut (which I have on widescreen laserdisc) that I still prefer. I never liked the "special longer version".

Also, while I've always liked the original cut of Close Encounters, there were some things in the Special Edition that I liked. The big thing I didn't like about the SE was the new ending and total different end title music as well as several key scenes (to me, at least) that were removed (Neary at the power station, Neary's additional mountain visions like the pillow, Neary relocates outside landscaping into his living room, Gillian at the Air Force base after Barry's abduction prior to the news conference...). However, the Collectors Edition version made me happy on all fronts - the scenes that were removed came back, and the SE stuff - minus the "inside the mothership" scene - that I did like made it too. So did the original ending music.

17. Squealy

I thought the recent cut of Close Encounters was the best too.

18. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Natural Born Killers - one minor cut that bugs me majorly, they cut the NIN song BURN, which was used in the theatrical cut after a montage of news footage. Thankfully, I've got the theatrical cut on laser disc.

Conan The Barbarian - I didn't realize when I got the DVD, that it was a special cut, until late in the film , when Arnold has a little soliloquy meant to provide Conan with a little extra "depth." They messed with the ending too. Not a great film, but one of my favorites, nonetheless, and this ain't what I remember. Is the theatrical cut available on DVD?

STAR WARS, EMPIRE and RETURN.

If they've messed with Star Trek II and IV on DVD, then I know, without seeing them, that they're not what I want. Why can't people leave things alone? That said, if the theatrical version is AT LEAST available on DVD, then special cuts don't bug me as much. But we should have the choice.

19. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

"Blade Runner"

20. 4_everyman

4_everyman The Sexual Intellectual

"Scooby Doo" ending? :eek:

I've seen that film more times than i would be comfortable admitting to, but i don't know what you're talking about. Could you please elaborate?

21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Hmm... this is one where I prefer the theatrical cut. From my review (http://www.dvdmg.com/almostfamousbootlegcut.shtml):

"While I enjoyed this glimpse of the added footage, I didn’t think it made Famous a better film. Actually, I felt some of it undermined the project and made it a little less effective.

We now see more of 11-year-old William in scenes that try to better illustrate his sense of disconnection with his classmates. However, these seem unnecessary. We already get it that he’s both smarter and younger than the other kids; the extra shots can be amusing, but they also appear redundant. In addition, Untitled packs quite a few “star-spotting” moments that take the focus off of the main characters and make the movie feel more celebrity obsessed.

Ultimately, Untitled offers a moderately entertaining look at an alternate Famous, but it remains distinctly less satisfying. The flick appears more self-indulgent, and it also seems to run too long. The project comes across as less tight and distinct. The extra sequences don’t badly harm the film, but I’ll stick with the leaner and more focused theatrical cut in the future. "

22. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

JFK

The added scene where he hides out in the bathroom is completely unnecessary. I really wish the theatrical cut was available on dvd.

23. Squealy

I haven't seen it for a while, but I remember the main reason I preferred it was I thought the long version had more of an edge. I felt the rock scene felt a little too sanitized in the theatrical version, and the longer version put in more scenes that reflected the sex-and-drugs reality of the time. Plus there were a lot of characters and they all got fleshed out a little further. But I couldn't point to anything specific, I'd have to see it again.

24. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Agreed; worst offender #1....I can live with APOCALYPSE, though I do prefer the original cut. But BLADE RUNNER? Sheesh, what a screwed up mess it is 'as is'....

TOUCH OF EVIL too, come to think of it....

:ed:

25. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Cinema Paradiso

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.