What to do with electronic items you want to replace?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RickH, Mar 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts Thread Starter

Let's say you have a 5-disc name brand CD changer you've had about 3 years and you're ready to replace it with a multi-format DVD/SACD/DVD-A/MP3 player. Since you can buy brand new CD changers dirt cheap (and DVD players as well), it's like going to the trouble to place an ad on Ebay is not even worth it. What's a 3-year old CD changer worth anyway, in perfectly good working order? 20 bucks, tops? About the only option is to give old model electronics to a relative or relegate them to another room, I suppose. I'm sure most others on this forum have found themselves with this dilemma.

2. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

I usually stock up on items I really like (my old Luxman CDP, for example). And give away / sell really cheap the rest.

3. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Pass the items on to family members who'd like them, if possible

4. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I keep them. I'm a pack rat like Dad was. :laugh: Thing is, I'm growing less tolerant of keeping things that no longer work. I have enough rooms in the house that could use a sound system. Next one, in fact, is going to be a computer/music system in my younger daughter's bedroom. The computer (which I custom built and set up to run from CD images on the hard drive) will be the DVD and CD player. For now it's just the computer speakers, but with a few spare pairs of speakers here, and an old receiver or two, I can put something really nice in her room for both girls to play with. Heck, my 5-year-old, two years ago, figured out how to work my Sony ES receiver in the back room. :D

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I've sold some components and kept others. It simply depends on how much I like the component and what I think I can get for it.

6. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Its very difficult to let go of things I've purchased with my very hard earned money if it still functions. Even if its an obsolete computer.

7. Clay

Clay Forum Resident

I bought a few single disc players at garage sales for $5 and use one in the garage.
    The other needs a home - like Salvation army.
    Yours is probably worth $20 - good for a hand me down or a donation for a write off.
    If you have the time and energy to ship it you could offer it to someone here for free.

8. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

There is a Seminary across the street. The Monks there love music. Thats where my albums and old stereo went.

9. BradOlson

I dumped my Samsung LP/dual cassette/CD minisystem to Goodwill, real old equipment that is beyond repair to the trash, and traded my RCA RT3250 which I bought at one of the pawn shops in my area for an RCA RT2600 at another pawn shop in my area. The RT3250 and RT2600 are the same except that the 2600 has the 5.1 inputs and DTS decoding as well as DD while the 3250 only has DD encoding. My RCA minisystem I gave to my mother.

10. GT40sc

GT40sc Senior Member

Maybe we could start a "Pay It Forward" deal for good used components...like Geoman did for music.

We seem to have quite a few "audio enthusiasts" here who are stuck playing back Steve's work on ghetto blasters...they deserve better.

On the other hand, in 1979 I was buying the early MFSL vinyl, and playing it on a plastic Garrard turntable with a $20 cartridge....Ouch. Gotta start somewhere...

Now I have an entire audio system in front of me here at the computer, built of all used components, under $400...but it's one of four such systems in the house...a one-bedroom apartment...and that's not to mention the recording studio...things are getting outta hand here...

Just an idea.

peace,

11. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

Best Buy has a new program called "Idle Tech" where you can trade stuff in and use the credit towards purchase new equipment.

Sean

12. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Forum Resident

I sell everything on ebay. I'm amazed at how much money I get back when I sell stuff.

If something was truly worth $20, I'd give it away to someone who could use it.

13. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

Donate it to Ed....... his system is long overdue for an upgrade! :D

-Jeffrey

14. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Hmmm....HMMM....if I send out the old Kenwood which I found in someone's garbage, and get a pair of Wavac monoblocks...yeah, I'd call that a sweeeeeeeeet deal! :D :laugh:

Trust me, I wouldn't wish my old junk on anyone. ;)

I usually don't get rid of something unless it has quit working. So many components, too, are outdated to the point where nobody would want them. Although I still wish I'd raided my grandfathers' hi-fi cabinet. He'd built Heathkit components back in the 60's (tuuuubes, baby!), and the whole thing ended up out at the street when my uncle cleaned out the house. I'm hoping someone came along and picked up that stuff, rather than have it end up in a landfill. ;( I did score the solid state receiver he built in the 70's though. I'd hate to get rid of something he'd built by hand, even if it doesn't sound all that good.

Really, though, I need to throw out some old computer junk. I still want to keep my first computer (good old days of dual 360k drives ;) ), but the others I'll strip for hardware and parts and toss out what's left over.

15. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Agreed!

That's what I do. Second choice - friends kids (heck - friends themselves! :eek: ) or whoever you think will appreciate it. I gave an old system to my Mother-in-law.

16. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Yep. Family (my folks got a really great complete stereo out of me for $0, all mix & match components), then friends, then a tax writeoff at Goodwill/Salvation Army, in that order...

17. BradOlson

I passed on my GE DVD player to my sister, who passed her Apex DVD player to her fiance for his truck.

18. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

If you have no use of it, donate it to charity (let Ed take the first crack at it if he runs one :D ) and get a tax write-off.

19. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

Bloody highway robbery. ;) Brad, you've taught your sister well. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.