What to glue split jackets back together with?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Detroiter in the South, Feb 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Detroiter in the South

Detroiter in the South Forum Resident Thread Starter

This Sex Pistols album is coming apart...

2. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

I’ve used crazy glue gel. Worked fine.

elvisizer likes this.
  3. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

A guy at a local used record store swears by wood glue.

4. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident

Titebond is the best. I've repaired many album covers. Apply a thin line
    and put it under something heavy overnight. I slide the jacket under a box of albums.
    Works every time.

James RD and bluesky like this.
  5. safety pins

6. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

I use 'post office' clear plastic package tape. Works for me. Sure is strong - LOL.

Covers don't mean all that much to me... But some do.

The Titebond glue thing sounds real good!! I'll try it. Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    hi_watt and steve phillips like this.
  7. Chew

Chew Casual Stalker

8. Detroiter in the South

Detroiter in the South Forum Resident Thread Starter

Me, too on the packing tape. Most Jackets I use that one are pretty beat up anyway. But this original Sex Pistols is in too good of shape all around to do that to it!

bluesky likes this.
  9. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

I use the acid-free glue from the craft store. The one I have now is made by Scotch.

CMT and parman like this.
  10. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Elmers White glue.

11. WithinYourReach

WithinYourReach Resident Millennial

I second this. Very rarely had to do this, but this gets the job done right.

steve phillips likes this.
  12. JohnCarter17

JohnCarter17 Forum Resident

Go to sleevecityusa and find the right product. There is a seam repair item in the sleeves section. The majority of glue suggesters have been exposed to the product too much.

Mind you, the safety pin suggestion is totally righteous!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  13. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident

I use the Scotch clear shipping tape for the old style covers that don't have
    a flap that can be glued. Titebond is great for the newer style covers that came
    around in the 70's. I've repaired about 50 so far, as good as new. You have to be careful
    not to use too much.

bluesky likes this.
  14. Echo's Answer

Echo's Answer Forum Resident

I’ve been using rubber cement for decades

15. Oberon313

Oberon313 Well-Known Member

FYI I just heard on a vinyl podcast they are making a consumer product kit exactly for these repairs (and apparently made it easy). You'll have to look into it as I can't recall the name.

16. Mfgeng

Mfgeng Well-Known Member

I bought a collection a while back that had a lot of jackets in rough shape. The ones that were worth saving I used a combination of 3m clear tape (sparingly) on the real bad ones, and gorilla wood glue in a syringe on the ones that weren’t as bad.

Combat Rock, however had...I’m not joking... 2 layers of black electrical tape on 3 edges. I left it alone, because, you know, that’s pretty rock and roll!

I may attach a photo later to show the genius repair job done to the The Clash.

Gumboo likes this.
  17. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Innocent Bystander

Double-face tape (sticky both sides). Been using it for years - hides inside, not visible, works a treat. Scotch/3M 137, two rolls for $6 at WalMart.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    Dignan2000, Wngnt90, parman and 2 others like this.
  18. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

If the cover is important to you long-term, take the trouble to go to a decent art supply store and ask for a squeeze bottle of archival PVA (polyvinyl acetate) glue. They'll know what you're talking about. This is the glue that bookbinders use to repair books. It's what collage artists like me use as well. It dries clear (although a bit shiny, so be sure to wipe away all excess in visible areas while it's still wet; a finger works best for this), it won't yellow over time, and, most importantly, it won't attack the paper.

If you need to use tape on the inside (or the outside, for that matter), DON'T use double-sided tape or any other kind of "Scotch tape" or masking tape. You will regret it in the long run. At the same art supply store, ask for a roll of the acid-free tape that picture framers use to mount artwork with. Again, they'll know what you're talking about. The pressure-sensitive kind is easier to use than the kind you have to wet. It's often called "artist's tape" or just "acid-free tape" or "bookbinder's tape".

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    parman, alarickc, Gumboo and 2 others like this.
  19. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Loctite Super Glue......works every time. Just be careful and don't get any on your fingers. :D

Vinny123, elvisizer and Rekkerds like this.
  20. Mfgeng

Mfgeng Well-Known Member

I’d say that CMT knows what he’s talking about regarding the proper supplies. I’ve had some valuable books reconditioned, and those products are designed on the “Do no harm” principal. Books are fragile things, as are paper jackets.

CMT likes this.
  21. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

Maybe I'm working on the mistaken assumption that people want their covers to both last and to not look like they've been repaired. Anyway, things like Scotch tape, masking tape, Gorilla Glue, or any kind of super glue, etc. are all bad ideas if preserving the cover archivally is your goal. If not, try black electrician's tape. Beautiful. :)

vudicus and Mfgeng like this.
  22. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

We use Norbond Liquid Plastic Adhesive from Demco in our library to repair books. I've used it a lot to repair and re-glue seams. It's made from PVA, just like Titebond.

23. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

I just use a regular glue stick to glue seams. Have used Elmer's in the past. Both have always seemed to work for me.

Stuff like Superglue just seems like overkill to me.

tin ears likes this.
  24. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

A glue stick can be fine, but be sure it's an acid-free glue stick. Some artists I know have reported that glue stick glue tends to become brittle over time in some instances. Plain old archival PVA glue in a bottle is safer. In any case, a good glue stick is a much better choice than some of the very interesting suggestions earlier in this thread. :)

Pavol Stromcek likes this.
  25. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I use wood glue and strips that I cut from a paper grocery bag. Exactly like this guy is doing, but I apply my own adhesive and cut the paper to length before I start so that I can fix any size tear. I pess it togther for a few seconds and then add weight by a stack of other records or something. Using potato chip bag clips for clamps is a great idea too if you aren't already surrounded by stacks of records like me!

-Bill

Gumboo and DangerousKitchen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.