What TV dramas are still shot on film? Experts, can I have a list?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Mar 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

AMC's Walking Dead is shot on Super 16 film, which is a really cool choice IMHO. Wonder if film will survive the reported big budget cuts coming for the next season. :thumbsdn:

dan c

http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/2010/08/david-boyd-interview.php

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Actually, 16mm is a very affordable, inexpensive format in a lot of ways. A lot of DPs still own their own cameras, which are very lightweight, and the developing is relatively cheap. I doubt that it costs much more to shoot on 16 than a full-tilt HD production with two or three cameras.

I also think that Kodak and the few remaining labs are so desperate to work out deals, they'll almost give it away in order to get people to shoot on film. Note that Technicolor is closing their main LA lab (at Universal) in the next few weeks, which is a sad sign of the times. That means that the only Technicolor lab left in North America will be the one in Montreal.

3. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Oh no! That's really sad. :thumbsdn:

I follow Kodak's 'shoot film' Twitter account. Kind of like hearing the last defiant words of a once-great dying man. Ugh.

dan c

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There are many analogies between shooting on film and recording sound in analog. Each is being supplanted by digital, even though it doesn't always make economical sense, nor does it improve on quality in any way.

There are still a handful of shows shooting on film, and some of them look unbelievably good. I may have noted earlier in the thread that HBO's Boardwalk Empire is shot on film, and that's hands-down the best-looking show on television. There's also a ton of digital tweaking going on with the show, but the end result definitely gives it the feel of happening in 1920.

5. Mackenzie Criswell

Mackenzie Criswell New Member

It is true that most TV shows now shoot on digital (unfortunately), a few that still shoot on film are: Breaking Bad, True Blood, American Horror Story, Criminal Minds did shoot on film but I believe they have switched to an Epic for season 10 :( There are still quite a few shows that are shot partially on film, for example: Dexter (The high-speed shots are from an Arriflex 435) if you just go to IMDb you can find the technical specs for any movie or TV show for the most part.

As far as the film emulation for digital goes, they normally don't release that kind of details regarding the post-production process for TV, unless there's an article about it on Creative Cow, or a site like that. I'm pretty sure House of Cards uses some form of emulation, as the images are very cinematic. No way to really be sure though.

6. Mackenzie Criswell

16mm has a bad rep, as it used to be a pretty crummy format, but the scanning technology now, makes it pretty usable, The Wrestler was shot entirely on 16mm, and parts of several feature films are shot on 16mm.

7. Mackenzie Criswell

Mad Men actually switched to shooting on Arri Alexa for season 5-, :( however 24 was fully completed being shot on 35mm, they did switch to an Alexa & Epic for it's spin off 24: Die Another Day :( not many shows still on film

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.