What Type Of Cassette Deck do you own?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Evil Strawberry, Jun 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacGyver

MacGyver Forum Resident

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I SA jolly good.

PhilBiker likes this.
  3. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Won't help if I can't figure out how the thing opens up.

4. alexpop

Maybe a YouTube video explaining. There has to be screws somewhere.

5. 12" 45rpm

12" 45rpm Forum Resident

PM me your email and I'll send you the service manual. Seems it's a non-inuitive way to open it up.

6. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

A lot of times companies like to hide the screws underneath stickers so that they can tell if somebody has cracked the lid when units arrive for warranty service.

7. frummox

frummox Forum Resident

Nakamichi BX-300

8. husafreak

husafreak Great F'n music that's difficult to listen to!

Nakamichi BX-300

9. alexpop

Nakamichi BX-300

10. tdvanb

tdvanb Forum Resident

There's just something about tape.....Love cassettes in all of their unique designs and cost of the tapes..so cheap.. As a result, I collect cassettes and decks wherever and whenever possible. I have had great luck in changing belts and getting them operating, which in itself is a great hobby. I also manipulate tapes, putting different clear shells and parts together with different color reels, rollers and tape formulations to make really cool looking cassettes that work great. All of my systems are set up to enhance cassette sound to the point where I prefer listening to cassettes over their cd counterparts. My operating decks are Pioneer CTF 1250 (2), Pioneer CTF 8282 (2- one for parts), Akai GXC 570d (looking at the inside design you would think it was a reel deck), Teac C-3 and dbx 122 (go together), Teac V3rx (one of my favs), Marantz SD 3000 (free) and Sansui D590R (auto rev beauty). The most expensive of these decks was $40 for a working CTF 8282. I also had a Teac V95rx that made howling sounds while playing. I wish I would have known this is mainly caused by dirty switches and I wouldn't have given up trying to get it going before giving up on it-but the 95rx is one of the most georgous decks Ive ever seen and just packed with electronics. I have had bad luck getting direct drive decks to work (Technics RSM 45 and Kenwood X1 basic). The guts in the Teac decks look to me to be more sophisticated and solid in terms of craftmanship over most of the others and I have had zero problems with them. They just keep on working no matter what. I hope to come across the V3RX's bigger brother (V1RX ). Teac really made great decks in my opinion.

11. alexpop

Can't pass on a Nak if I see it on my travels.

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

JVC-KD-V6 bought new in the earl 80's...a pre-order no longer working...still have it.... a fine deck.

13. Guth

Guth Music Lover

I bought a Sony TCFX6C back around 1982 — still use it every now and then.

14. Tim Irwin

Tim Irwin Well-Known Member

Hi GuildX700,

Another Hendrix electric ladyland fan, Ive got about 5 polydor vinyl near mint of ELL. I found the Dire Straits Dire Straits tape was close to the cd, but more enjoyable to listen to amongst others.
    Anyway question please which old ELL tape did you get the polydor or reprise? Thanks

I play my yamaha kx 930 mostly pre-recorded, on sony es tapes. more than vinyl and sacd/cd. Cant afford the more expensive tapes.

Just bought a Pioneer CT 93, for $250.00 nz, I'll see how that goes.

Beauty is in the ears of the beholder.

15. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

My first, back in 1980, was the Pioneer CT-F500. It had great sound, and you got more quality for your money back then. It was stolen in a robbery 30 years ago.
    [​IMG]
    My next, and current one, though used rarely now, is a Nakamichi Cassette Deck 2, which is also a decent machine.
    [​IMG]

Bhob and Donniej like this.
  16. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

Love my Cassette Deck 2.

DaveySR likes this.
  17. tronds

tronds Forum Resident

Technics RS-M205. It ain't particularly fancy, but it's the one I got. Being a digital/vinyl guy primarily, it satisfies my cassette needs just fine.

18. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I picked up one of these for 15 dollars, works like a charm! I don't know if it's considered a 'great'
    deck or not, but I'm pretty happy with it:
    Yamaha KK 380
    [​IMG]

lpman_t, Gavinyl, c-eling and 3 others like this.
  19. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Looks great to me!

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  20. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

Within a few days I picked up both a Pioneer CT-F750 and a Technics RS630, both needing belts, but otherwise in excellent condition. I’m gonna give a go at changing the belts on the Pioneer, and if successful I’ll try the Technics...if I can find belts for it.

21. 12" 45rpm

12" 45rpm Forum Resident

22. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

A long broken Pioneer Elite from the early 90's, which was such a beautiful workhorse. :cry:

23. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

Ebay had a $25 off coupon today, so I decided to jump on an Aiwa AD-F800, with recently replaced belts. It was $200 in all, but I've been waiting a long time to get one of these.

12" 45rpm likes this.
  24. 12" 45rpm

12" 45rpm Forum Resident

Looks like an impressive deck. Does it have auto calibration or test tones?

25. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

Don’t believe so, no. From what I hear though, those are high end features that are usually on some fairly expensive decks. I just wanted a great value 3-head deck, and from my research and limited experience with cassettes, this is the deck I settled on.

c-eling likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.