What universal protractor is best for a dedicated 7" single cart?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by colby2415, Mar 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. colby2415

colby2415 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I figure one with the null points closest to the spindle are better, but I am not sure if there is a "universal protractor" of sorts that lets you align for what's best on 7" records? I think i did use the baerwald one for my main cart, if i recall correctly. Which one would be best? Unfortunately a universal protractor is best as I don't know much about spindle to pivot, etc.

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

What turntable and arm are you using?

3. colby2415

Its a systemdek iix, with a profile tonearm (pretty sure its a profile II). Can't really find much info on it, but I figure I could just use a generic like i did before, unless this would give me noticeably better results?

4. missan

missan Forum Resident

Yes if You really want an alignment just for 7", You can use Stevenson 2. Which means an inner null of 54mm and an outer null of 83mm.

5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, Stevenson 2 works great for 45 RPM duty.

6. colby2415

Ok, good to know. Is the stevenson protractor on the vinylengine the correct one? If not, do you know where I can get it?

7. Aerobat

Aerobat Forum Resident

Here's a nice template generator that you can customize to the arm and record size.

TemplateGen.EXE

8. colby2415

I have seen this generator before, but what about if you don't have the specifics like the spindle to pivot?

9. missan

missan Forum Resident

You just take a paper. Pinch a hole that fits over the spindle. Draw a line and mark 54mm and 83mm from spindle center. Make two perpendicular lines at these null points.

10. Aerobat

Aerobat Forum Resident

The distance can be measured with a yardstick or you can look it up in the database at Vinylengine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.